Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, I'm going to weigh in as a former theatre worker. And I'm probably going to recover some ground here, so forgive me.

Sucky? Not really. However, Fridays/Saturdays/Any other stupidly busy day? I'd hate you anyway. On those days we easily had more than 10,000 people through the doors, I think the record by the time I left was 16,000. 16 screens, 10 ushers, 2 of which are for the door stands. We weren't allowed to go *in front* of the customers, but if we were quiet, we could clean behind, which we pretty much had to on those busy days. It could take us 10 minutes or more to clean the larger theatres, if they weren't too messy. If they were messy, it would take 5 or 6 trash cans to get all the garbage, and then sweeping was always a pain. Shows would tend to get out in batches, so we sometimes had the option of if someone was camped to watch the credits, we could move on, clean something else, and come back. But for the evening shows, we'd often have less than half an hour between finish of the show and the start of the next, and people still need to get seated in that time. Usually on the busy nights we'd get the theatre cleaned, then dozens of people for the next show would stream in. Hundreds, for the larger theatres. Sometimes the window's so tight, management would actually tell us to just sweep things under the seats instead of cleaning properly.

I'm going to finish ranting there before it goes further, because trust me, I could go on for a few pages about this and just leave this bit of advice for people who like to stay through the credits.

Yes, you paid for the movie, including the credits. However, if you're the only person in there, you're holding up everything by staying in your seat. I could have hugged the considerate people who would stand up and move to the exit ramp and watched from there so we could do our work. Even if you're just the only person in your section, especially if you're near the back then your moving can help a lot. We can't tell you to move, we can't clean around you. The situation is exactly like being in a busy resturant, and after you've finished eating, you stay at the table for another 20 minutes. You paid for the use of the table, yes, but you're hindering other people getting a seat. It's also like customers digging through the merchandise in retail shops. They're getting what they're paying for, technically, and it's not their fault that what they want isn't right there on top, making more work for the person who has to re-fold/face the merchandise.

Oh, also, telling the staff "It's okay, you can clean around me" is not okay. It's difficult, and disrupts the flow and is AGAINST policy, and management WILL chew out the worker if caught. Okay, /rant.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
      dump-truck-sized popcorn tubs
      Dude, is anyone else getting hungry??
      SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
      SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
        The situation is exactly like being in a busy resturant, and after you've finished eating, you stay at the table for another 20 minutes. You paid for the use of the table, yes, but you're hindering other people getting a seat.
        Ok, I have to argue this point. Watching the credits is NOT like sitting at the table in a resturant for extra minutes. In that scenario, you are not just keeping people from sitting, but you are keeping the waiter/ess from sitting another paying table. Being mad at people for watching the credits is like being made at people for eating dessert at the table instead of standing at the hostess stand with it.

If you don't have time to clean the theatres between showings, that is a policy failure. You're getting mad at the wrong people. I know a couple of people who got into special effects, and I like to see if they're listed in the credits. I paid for the ticket, I get to see the whole movie. That includes the MPA# if I feel the need to see it.

Now, I will say that people who just leave their trash on the floor are jerks. Double so if they were throwing stuff around. My trash goes out with me and into the closest available trashcan. I don't understand why your policy won't allow you to start cleaning if the stragglers offer to let you. Seems silly to me.
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

The credits are part of the movie so I'm with anyone else who said it is most defnitely not akin to sitting at a table long after the dinner was over.

Management is at fault here and not the customers.

Personally, we never leave our popcorn or soda containers and always take out what we take in including the kids booster seats. I've taught my kids that you take responsibility for yourself no matter where you are. Shopping carts are put back, items you don't intend to buy are put back where they were stocked and garbage is not left for anyone else to throw away.
          For that reason I feel I've earned the right to see the end of the credits if I want.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
          ~Clerks

Comment

When I went to Pirates III I had been told to stay.
            My "Other Mother" was with me . . .we were the only 2 that chose to stay.
            An usher walked in and I could just see his face kinda fall . . .
            I said all I want to see is the last sceen . . .do you need us to move to the aisle to start cleaning?
            He asked if I was sure it was ok to go ahead and clean . . .I said yes.
            He turned up the lights . . and another usher came in . .. the started at the back . . .
            just before the infamous sceen the 2nd usher flew down the aisle and turned the light back down . . .we all watched the sceen. . .they turned the lights back up . . .OM and I picked up our trash and walked to the aisle.
            The Usher was there with a trash bag for us to use. (moved into place when he saw we had our trash - not as a reminder to pick up after ourselves)
            We all thanked each other and went our Merry ways.

If the policy is the Customer is Right - then if the Customer tells you to go ahead and clean . . .you should do what the Customer wants. (gotta love selective policy application)

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
              There's a scene at the end of all the Pirates movies.
              Yeah, I know that now. But Pirates III was the first one I saw the extra scenes to, so it stuck out.
              "What size can I get you, ma'am?"
              "Red."
              "Okay...I'll check the red for you, but what size do you need?"
              "RED!"
              "..."

Comment

People staying to watch the credits doesn't bother me too much, since we can start cleaning just so long as we're not in front of them.

It's sucky if you're just sitting there talking on your cell phone or playing a DS, paying no attention to your surroundings. That ticks me off.
                "Reverse racism" lol

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                  Ok, I have to argue this point. Watching the credits is NOT like sitting at the table in a resturant for extra minutes. In that scenario, you are not just keeping people from sitting, but you are keeping the waiter/ess from sitting another paying table.
                  Actually, it's even MORE like it then. Do you know the number of people who have looked at the line-up waiting for movies, decide it's too large, and then say "Forget it!" And if that line up had been seated in the theatre already, those people wouldn't have left? And then there's the people who do stay, but go stand in the line-up, and then no longer have time to go to concession by the time the theatre is available for seating? There's your parallel to sitting another paying table. If people don't have time to get to the concession, they're almost a wash for the theatre. A zero-profit entity.

If you don't have time to clean the theatres between showings, that is a policy failure. You're getting mad at the wrong people. I know a couple of people who got into special effects, and I like to see if they're listed in the credits. I paid for the ticket, I get to see the whole movie. That includes the MPA# if I feel the need to see it.
                  It's not a policy failure. A theatre is contractually obligated to show a film a certain number of times. It doesn't matter if the film's too long to comfortably fit in the operating hours, they still have to show it. So don't blame the ushers for being annoyed, and don't blame management for short-changing the intermissions. I've seen my manager literally pounding the desk in frustration trying to make the schedule work SOMEHOW. You wanna blame someone in this situation, blame Hollywood for unrealistic box office expectations, editors who can't trim the film to a proper running time, and self-aggrandizing directors who can't decide what's actually important to show.

Remember, a theatre is open until the last movie finishes. That's how long we have to complete all the closing tasks, plus 5 minutes to shut off the last projector. We also have to make sure everyone's actually left. How many threads have we had where people complain that customers come in 5 minutes to close, and then stick around and grab a ton of items when all we do is want to go home? The customer came in before close, fair and square, they're getting items they need. They're paying for the items, all of the items they're getting. I don't tell people they can't be annoyed at those customers, don't tell me I can't be annoyed at credit sitters.

Comment

I guess I'm just going to have to not care that I'm annoying the ushers, then. I try to be really courtious to all CSRs, but, if they're going to be annoyed at me for consuming ALL of what I was sold ... that's just going to have to be too bad for them.

Don't blame ME because someone up YOUR CHAIN signed a bad contract.
                    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Usually when I stay to watch the credits it's because I've been trying to figure out who someone was, so I want to see the cast list. (As a result, it drives me crazy when they don't put the cast first...cuz when they don't put the cast first, that usually means the cast is all the way at the end.) Unless there is something else to see, I don't usually sit through all the credits.

I realize they probably aren't allowed to really start cleaning if there are still people in the theater, but it would not bother me in the least if the employees started cleaning around me, as long as they didn't block my view.
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
                        Don't blame ME because someone up YOUR CHAIN signed a bad contract.
                        I don't blame you for that. See my previous post where I said "blame Hollywood for unrealistic box office expectations, editors who can't trim the film to a proper running time, and self-aggrandizing directors who can't decide what's actually important to show."

The point of the thread was to ask opinions. You're not going to guilt me or badger me into apologizing for being annoyed at having my job made more difficult. You have your reasons, I have mine.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                          It's not a policy failure. A theatre is contractually obligated to show a film a certain number of times. It doesn't matter if the film's too long to comfortably fit in the operating hours, they still have to show it. So don't blame the ushers for being annoyed, and don't blame management for short-changing the intermissions. I've seen my manager literally pounding the desk in frustration trying to make the schedule work SOMEHOW. You wanna blame someone in this situation, blame Hollywood for unrealistic box office expectations, editors who can't trim the film to a proper running time, and self-aggrandizing directors who can't decide what's actually important to show.
                          I have to ask, what chain is that? I currently do the show schedule in a 14-screen theatre each week and generally don't have that much of a problem with it, save for this past week when I had to work around all the pre-sales already scheduled. Those screwed me up with extra prints of them that I didn't expect.

As for whether people should sit or not, while our ushers can't make them move, we would prefer they do, at least to the side. Each movie has (at least) a full half-hour in-between shows, but that sometimes isn't enough when so many people leave their trash behind. (Customers have even been heard to tell their children to leave it for the ushers.) And if it takes a bit longer to clean one theatre, then the next one letting out will already have people starting to sit in it early. Oftentimes these people for the next show will enter during the end credits or before. Oh, how I wish we could kick them out for sneaking into a movie. I just might snap sometime and do it. At least we can ask the newcomers to step outside if the theatre is less than a quarter full.
                          "Shield eaters and SC'ers have many likes alike."

Comment

Quoth FlamingSickle View Post
                            I have to ask, what chain is that? I currently do the show schedule in a 14-screen theatre each week and generally don't have that much of a problem with it, save for this past week when I had to work around all the pre-sales already scheduled. Those screwed me up with extra prints of them that I didn't expect.
                            Canadian chain. If you really want specifics, PM me.

Comment

I sit through the end credits at the end of movies because I like to listen to the music, even at home watching DVDs and tapes.

When I saw "Sister Act" at the end of the movie, most of the viewers got up to leave. But when the end credits music (oldies like in the show) started, they all turned where they stood and listened to the end.

Also, by staying to watch the end of the credits, I don't have to fight the crowd to get out the door.

As for not all the movies having outtakes, extra scenes, etc., there is no way to know that if you have never seen the movie before.
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Liar, Liar had some good outtakes during the credits.

Quoth king4aday View Post
                                (tourist capital of WI)
                                The Dells?
                                Unseen but seeing
                                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                                3rd shift needs love, too
                                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                                X