This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid warning labels

I picked up a fresh jar of peanut butter today. The new Kraft PB with honey already mixed in is amazing.

Taking a closer look, I see this....

Seriously people? Peanut butter contains peanuts?

Who knew?

B
    Last edited by Dave1982; 05-03-2013, 03:58 PM. Reason: Please use WIMG tags for large images
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
    I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

I found one on imitation crab that said May Contain Crab.
    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

I'm more concerned that it contains Rapeseed
      Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
      Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Oh, good, I'll know not to get it next time I go shopping.
        It's been so long since I bought peanut butter that I was in the grocery store a few weeks ago and another customer asked me if I knew where it was; I had no clue.

Quoth gremcint View Post
        Rapeseed is canola oil. Kind of an unfortunate name, isn't it?
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
          Indeed, that's why it's sold as canola, since the connotations of the actual plant's name are so bad.

And as far as stupid warning go... look at any package of nuts you can find. You'll find an allergen warning for... wait for it.... nuts. Likewise, these days, cheese has an allergen warning for milk.

It's all to do with the U.S., or at least an unreasonably high proportion of people living here, getting progressively more stupid and more litigious. And juries that actually reward people for some mindbogglingly idiotic behavior.
          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
            Still referred to as such in the UK or called that damn yellow stuff that gives people hay fever.

It's grown all around my area, go for a drive in summer and you'll see large fields of yellow.
            Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
              Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
              From my understanding, the etymology of the plant's name is unrelated to the etymology of the crime.

Canola is a variety of rapeseed, developed in Canada (just like the crossbred grain Triticale - don't believe what Checkov says, after all he implied that Shakespeare was not English when he said that the plays were best understood "in the original Russian") - name derived from "Canada" and term for oil, containing no oleic or ecruic acids (the fatty acids making ordinary rapeseed oil inedible). As such, you can't substitute ordinary rapeseed oil for canola, and it might not be possible to substitute canola for ordinary rapeseed oil (don't know for sure, but the missing fatty acids could be responsible for its interesting properties).

Fun fact: Live steam (i.e. superheated) is a great way to strip oil and grease off metal. Rapeseed oil is resistant to being stripped by live steam. For this reason, it was the preferred lubricating oil for early steam engines.

Quoth Tama
              I found one on imitation crab that said May Contain Crab.
              Not surprised by that one. Since "imitation" means "fake", many people wouldn't think that it could contain crab, but it does. Imitation crab is highly processed (to get rid of its flavour, and create the texture of crab meat) white fish, with red dye painted on in appropriate places, and (for flavour) boiled in "crab liquor". What is "crab liquor"? Water that REAL crab has been cooked in.
              Last edited by wolfie; 05-03-2013, 07:42 AM. Reason: forgot about the crab issue
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Best label I ever saw was back when I worked in the pet store and got a delivery of machine washable dog blankets in. First thing I had to do was scan the barcode to get the price, second thing was to price them. I decided to put the price stickers on the cleaning instructions tag cuz I didn't want to obscure the barcode tag and make a rod for my own back should anyone buy one. What was written under the cleaning instructions? Ah yes, this.

Washable Dog Blanket. Caution: Remove Dog First.

I just sat there on the floor and screamed with laughter at the idiocy. A few regulars came to see what was up, once they read the tag they joined me in laughter.
                People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
                  heh. back when i played EQ there was an argument on the forums about whether or not a player's name was offensive, the defense of the name being that it was a "plant name" and therefore not-offensive.

my counter was rapeseed. (although I used the latin version of the name just in case the censors had a field day with that one)

but yeah, who'd have thunk that Peanut butter contains peanuts. That's like a warning that a beef hamburger contains meat. Or that sleeping pills with "drowsy" warnings. (which they actually have)

Comment

Warning label on my hairdryer says not to use while bathing because, y'know, that's when all people dry their hair.

A knife set we bought years back said to not attemt to catch falling knives. good thing too, because when I see a sharp blade falling, the first thing I do is put my hand right under it.

My hairspray says not to store it at temps above 120F, because most people store beauty products in the oven
                    Answers: $1
                    Correct Answers: $2
                    Answers that require thought: $5
                    Dumb looks are still free.

Comment

Well it was in pictures, but I noticed a very strange warning years ago on a plastic tub (that came with a lid). The picture was that of a child in the tub with one of those 'do not' signs over it..and the next one was the lid being closed on said child....
                      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

On melatonin: May cause drowsiness---I sure hope so!!

On a cup of coffee from Al's Roast Beef: Contents may be hot. DUH!!!---yes their exact wording.

On a Planter's product: Contains nuts---You think!!!
                        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Heh. I learned the French word for "hot" back at my first pizza pizza job. Cos the ovens had "Attention: HOT" on them in both English & French.

Cos you know... ovens are usually cold-heated right?

Comment

I find warning labels can be a little silly at times. I mean Peanut Butter "May Contain Peanuts" is silly, though "May contain Tree nuts" is important. As I know people who are allergic to tree nuts, but not peanuts.

There are a lot of stupid instructions on stuff, but I do know a lot of people who don't read ingredients or anything. They look at the "Allergy Warning" and that's it. So I have heard tell of stories where someone brought in Almond Peanut Butter Cookies to something, and was shocked it had nuts in it because it didn't have an allergy warning.

Also, Never Ever Do This At Home looks like a great show!
                            Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
                            Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                              *snip*

On a cup of coffee from Al's Roast Beef: Contents may be hot. DUH!!!---yes their exact wording.

*snip*
                              I wonder if that came about because of the infamous case in which some idiot of a woman sued McDonald's (I think) because their coffee was so hot that when she tucked it between her thighs to leave the drive-through, it spilled and she got burned ...

Comment

Working...
                              X