This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goddammit, Butcher.

Equal parts awesome, hilarious, heartwearing, and tearjerking.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

HOW in the HELL does he do it? I mean, top himself Every. Single. Book. Seriously, this man is Awesome Personified.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
        Also, can I just say that I love Butters even more now than I already did? Because, seriously, I love his transition from 'loveable nerd' to 'badass loveable nerd' over the course of the series.
        I've always thought that the portrayal of Butters more or less personifies the "knowledge is power" idea. As he learned more and more about what was really happening, he stopped being able to cower away from it, and started getting involved in the action and taking risks. Spoiler text below:

This, of course, leads him to make the ultimate choice: that risking/giving up his life trying to defend a group of children was the only thing worth doing, compared to the old Butters who would've hidden somewhere trembling. In that moment, he probably doesn't even consider that there is a choice...when he left that house, he was prepared to die horribly doing the right thing. I bet no one was more surprised than he was (except maybe Nicky) when it turned out in his favor.

Also, you know he's going to be quoting Obi Wan like mad the next book he shows up in.

/end spoilertext.

The only problem with the book is the same one I always have: I finished it in 7 hours, and now I have to wait over a year for the next episode.
        "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
        "What IS fun to fight through?"
        "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

The line he (butters) says about his new role, had me DYING with laughter.....think I scared half of the computer lab at work when I came to it.
          It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

there's a nickname going around that is excellent: The ButterSaber
            Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
            Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Another thing I forgot to mention that I loved about the book- Mythologically accurate Hades. Classically, Hades has almost always been depicted as the least asshole-ish of the Olympians. I just about cheered at his portion of the story because I'm tired of the {highlight to see spoiler} 'Oh, he has to be the villain because he's the god of the dead' thing. Also, I love the tie-in to his other domain as the god of hidden wealth.
              Last edited by EricKei; 06-12-2014, 03:54 PM. Reason: Changed spoiler (see title! ;) ) to white-on-white text
              "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

One of my favorite things about Butcher, in general, is that he obviously puts a lot of work into research on things like mythological creatures and so one, just to make sure he gets the details right. It tends to make his stories a lot more interesting over time.
                "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
                "What IS fun to fight through?"
                "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Working...
                X