This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth wolfie View Post
    I once had a classmate who was allergic to apples, and I believe that another member here has another unusual allergy. I wouldn't be surprised if ANYTHING were a trigger for someone's allergy.

My experience has been that the people who say "It's not possible to be allergic to X" are those who want to consume X wherever and whenever they want.
    There's also things called pseudo-allergies*, that while it sounds better it's actually worse.

*pseudo allergies can be just as bad as any other allergy, but they bypass the actual immune system so pseudo allergies don't respond to regular allergy treatment.
    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Do what you have to do ^_^ Just watch yer back, make sure that the expectations are clear from the outset, and get everything in writing, so at least you'll have some recourse if things go south again.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Thanks Eric. Yeah, I don't trust them in the least. So its good advice.

Comment

MissyRed keeps acquiring new allergies. She was allergic to penicillin based meds, now she's allergic to sulfa based ones. Last time she had an infection her jaw locked from the sulfa meds. O.o Moirae I am keeping my fingers crossed that this new/old job is better this time around. Hugs!

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
            I'm also severely allergic to pot (please don't tell me I'm lying, I'm not) to the point where my throat starts to close.
            I do not react well to pot at all.
            As I told a smoker in my teens who kept going on about how I should smoke it and it was great for treating asthma, etc. "When I'm around pot, I don't relax, I don't chill out. I don't even get noticeably hungrier. ... I get angry, I get mean, and I get violent."
            While I was saying this, my expression changed from mild annoyance to 'I'll you up, barehanded if I have to.' Fortunately a couple very large friends who knew about my bad reaction were on hand and very quickly picked me up, restrained me, and threw me into a nearby pool and wouldn't let me out until I was much calmer.
            This sucks as I'm in an area that is known for pot (Wolfie mentioned the area in a post, and I think he's across the country from me.), and is looking forward to Trudeau legalizing it.

Quoth wolfie View Post
            My experience has been that the people who say "It's not possible to be allergic to X" are those who want to consume X wherever and whenever they want.
            Indeed, for the ones I've encountered, they are also the ones who will do something sociopathically mean, then say 'What? Can't take a joke?"

Quoth Moirae View Post
            Wolfie, I think that's exactly it. If you can be allergic to grass, or even water, you can be allergic to weed.
            *raises hand* All of the above. Fortunately the water one only caused a bad eczema breakout, and appears to be lessening as I'm getting older.

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
            The worst one I've heard of is the lady who's allergic to chocolate. That's just depressing.
            Yep. Fortunately my reactions to it are all digestive. (nausea, , etc)
            Sucked being a kid when every. single. birthday. party. had chocolate cake/ice cream and I couldn't have any.

Comment

Its quite terrifying to be allergic to pot when working in the hotel industry. Everyone and their dog thinks its ok to smoke the crap. It means anywhere you go, you're going to be exposed. And since I'm deathly allergic, there's almost no escape. Twice I have almost had to go to the hospital. Once when I was in my early 20's (my sister and her boyfriend were smoking it in the basement, I went down to do some clothes and came back up on my hands and knees almost passing out at the top. That was the first time I knew I was allergic). And I went to check a room after the housekeepers had come down to say they were smoking pot and there was actually a waft of pot smoke that came out. It was so much that I was down in the office starting to gasp for breath. I had to swallow two benedryl that day. I had to bite them in to small pieces and swallow it that way.

People think pots nothing when it isn't. In most circumstances, you're more likely to encounter peanuts and roses than you are in pot. Not so in the hotel industry.

People think I'm lying because they aren't allergic to it. But it's deadly to me. And I can't walk around with one of those epi pens, I'd be taking it once a week or more.

I'm just glad that in my current job, I don't stand a chance of being exposed to it because I'm working directly with the bosses away from the hotels. It's going to be alot of work but I have the chance of learning hotel accounting if things go well this time.

I think it was the bosses wife's idea that I be hired and she and I have always got along well enough. He's usually never around and I have no problem with working and working hard.

I actually feel ok today. It's the first time in a year that I can say that. It's a nice feeling.

Comment

Crossing my fingers for ya. Good to see that you seem to have landed in a good place, further away from the everyday stresses that you're used to.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Thanks Eric. I really hope so. It's been one of the hardest years of my life. I just need some peace and quiet for a while.

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
                    .... I can't walk around with one of those epi pens, I'd be taking it once a week or more.
                    After some strict instructions fro Da Wife, I know that epi-pens are not a cure. They are merely to buy time enough to get the person to a hospital, where their situation can actually be dealt with properly.

(Sorry, we just went through that "mandatory training" at home again, so it's still fresh in my mind.)
                    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
                    X