Go Back   Customers Suck! > Community > Off Topic

Old 08-01-2018, 01:47 PM
Assistant Manager

Quote:
Quoth Eireann View Post
He also said that this is how it is with cats. When they're sick, they hide it. Then, suddenly, they can't hide it anymore.
You have my deepest sympathies. My cat was 16 or so when I started seeing streaks of blood on the floor where she'd been. Naturally, I arranged to get her to the vet... when I picked her up to put her in the carrier, her belly felt like a sack of walnuts. Yeah, cancer, hopelessly advanced. I'd noticed that she'd been quieter and less social, but then she was old and fat, and I've never been in the habit of casually picking up animals.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:20 PM
Store Manager

She's home!

I just brought her back about ten minutes ago. One of the first things she did was to eat (and, yes, they did feed her at the clinic). I put out some turkey on top of her regular food, and she ate that, too.

She's now lying on the floor, looking around. Her breathing is still loud, and the vet told me that they really aren't sure if it's asthma, something else, or both. She said that cats usually respond very quickly to corticosteroids if they're asthmatic. I told her that when Kitty was on antibiotics, her breathing was much better. The vet talked about the possibility of nasal polyps and some other condition, the name of which I don't remember now. Basically, she wants to know if anything in the airways is restricting Kitty's breathing.

So, now we're talking about what further steps to take. I'm supposed to take her in for a checkup next week.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:02 AM
Area Manager

I'm so glad she's home. It's horrible when your beloved pet is ill; you feel so helpless. They look to you for comfort and protection, and not being able to offer it immediately is heart-breaking.

One of our previous dogs, Bonnie (a black lab) ended up with diabetes, so we ended up having to inject her every day for the last 4 years of her life; she also ended up with diabetes-related cataracts. We had to buy a carpet cleaner as she wasn't able to hold it in through the night; we just put sheets down so we could see where she went and cleaned the carpet each morning. Fortunately she was nice and always went in the same place.

When she eventually passed away (her internal organs started packing up; she blew up like a balloon, so we had to have her put down ) we replaced the carpet (thankfully it was on concrete, not wood). It was still worth it to have her the extra 4 years though; she was happy with it, and adapted easily to being nearly blind. She used to love being walked down to the beach at the bottom of the road and sit there listening to the sea and smelling everything. We did have to carry her most of the way back, though, as she'd get part-way up the road and decide she'd had enough of walking... Damn, I still miss her. I miss all our dogs.

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:55 PM
Store Manager

She's now behaving normally. Staying overnight at the vet's must have scared her. The vet told me that when anyone came to check on her, she became excited at having a visitor. The only problem was that when she got excited, her breathing worsened.

She jumped on the bed twice during the night to rub against me. She spent most of the night on the kitchen floor, which is about the coolest place in here (we're having an enormous heat wave). I have a fan going to keep us both more comfortable. She's now behaving normally.

Her fur is thick and glossy. Her appetite is good. She's using her litter box. The vet didn't say anything about any other health problems; it's just her breathing. They would have told me if there had been any other considerations. The blood test a few months ago revealed no infections.

So - we just have to find out what the breathing problem is.