This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth PepperElf View Post
    sometimes i just wanted to say to them... "um, ok whatever. you're not famous so i really dont care what your number is." but i was in my teens back then and ... wasn't as rude as i can be today
    Heh, this reminds me of my RAC days. I rented to a (then?) popular movie star and his wife. Standard procedure is collect drivers license and CC and fill out the rental contract with said information.

When I handed the contract to the wife to sign, she complained bitterly about my using their "real" address, and how they never give it out. At the time, I had no idea of who they were and refused to change it, because we really do want the real place a person lives, in case we have to have police come after the car.

They went on their way eventually. He never said a word, just her. In retrospect, I may well have made the change, had I know.

Oh, and I got yelled at by the women over at the check-in lot because I didn't tell them he had rented a car. I had to ask who he was.

And yes, I'm purposely leaving his name out. :P

Eric the Grey
    In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

to ree: Because if you dont contact me back when its eye-brow raising im going to cancle and file a complaint. Its better safe than sorry so you spend 30 seconds calling me back maybe two minutes later and saying something like "Uh... I just forgot to double check... you wanted *something obviouse* right" it can save you alot of headaches and over your back side.

Comment

I must admit on orders where name isn't really that important except to sort for pick-up I'll give my middle name in place of my last name or a made up variant of my last name that is easier to say (oddly my name is easier to pronounce backwards than forwards, I have learned this from experience and some really slow friends).
        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
          to ree: Because if you dont contact me back when its eye-brow raising im going to cancle and file a complaint.
          Ah...so you act like a sucky customer, huh?

Seriously, though, I would be annoyed at having to make the call to verify.
          I still don't see how it's that difficult to just give your name and be done with it.

I can understand if a person has an unusual name that people get wrong anyway, but I just don't see the point.

I'm not trying to be difficult or deliberately obtuse or stubborn or argumentative.

I really don't understand the psychology behind the fake name and refusal to use a real one, and I don't think I ever will.
          Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
            I went to HS with a guy named Thomas Thomas. I'm assured he got his ass kicked in elementary school. Poor guy. His PARENTS should've gotten the ass kicking.
            Years ago---like before she met my dad---my mom worked with a guy named Frosty T. Snowman. That's what his birth certificate said, too. She also worked with a woman named Mary Christmas Trees. Once again, that's what her birth certificate said.

Now, as for the topic, I gotta say that if you want to use a fake name for whatever reason in a situation like this, use one that sounds common---like George Johnson, Emily Jones, you get the point. If you're going to purposefully give someone who is taking your order a fake name like Abraham Lincoln or Jessica Rabbit, then I don't think you can blame the order takers for not taking you seriously. I hate to sound sour about this, because I'm sure people are going to read this and think I'm some cranky douche bag with no sense of humor, but the way I see it, when you're ordering something, it's a business transaction. Just give your order, give your name or whatever normal name you're going to use, and be on with it. If you really think you're THAT funny, or if you're just itching to make people laugh, find out where the nearest comedy club is and go audition. That information can be found by doing some research on the Internet.

Comment

well my name is confussing and maybe i would be sucky, but they never made to begin with and my complain would be never contacted me. I might be a little sucky but you know what my name is kind of ethnic hard to pronuce and i have natural speach impediment so fake names are important to me,

Comment

I was really good friends with the Boys at the Pizza Place next door to my old store. Whenever I ordered a pizza they put SHINSUKE MARU (an alt to my actual name) as that was the name I Gamed with them under. When I beat the pants off of the whole lot of them the one-and-only time, they put it proudly on my pizza box: GOD'S PIZZA.

Good times, good times.

Whenever I'm with family, because no one (well, unless you're British, it seems) can pronounce our surname; we go with Dad's first name.
                Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                  well my name is confussing and maybe i would be sucky, but they never made to begin with and my complain would be never contacted me. I might be a little sucky but you know what my name is kind of ethnic hard to pronuce and i have natural speach impediment so fake names are important to me,
                  Use a real sounding fake name.

Don't expect a place that's probably quite busy to call you back over just the name.
                  "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

There's a fast food chain out here that asks for names while your going through the drive-thru. I will sometimes give a crazy sounding fake name, because they know I'm in the red Honda two cars back and they always manage to miss-spell my real name anyways.
                    My Pointless Links collection.

Comment

I heard my sister BF use a fake name when ordering a taxi because his last name is Arabic (actually all his names are) and most folk make a mess of it when trying to pronounce it, so it easier for him.

The worst name I ever heard of was Ophelia Balls (say it out loud), I really pity that girl. Also I went to school with a Theresa Green who was VERY picky about how you said it.
                      As soon as I start thinking
                      That I'm sensible and sane
                      The Random Hedgehog comes along
                      And fiddles with my Brain
                      (from card I got)

Comment

Author's name

Thomas T. Thomas will not reveal what the middle letter stands, I even emailed him and he claims it just sands for 'T'. I beat he get bugged about that alot.

Comment

I've spoken with a woman whose real maiden name is Kandi Bahr. She's sweet enough that she can get away with it, however.

And again, I still stand by what I said. While I do believe if you're going to use a fake name, it should be one that is generic or common enough to be taken as real, why should someone with an uncommon or even unbelievable name have to use a fake, just so someone doesn't cancel the order and assume they're lying? Unless there are characteristics of the call that make it seem like a prank (e.g. giggling, whispering in the background, etc), it doesn't hurt on that 1 call to be professional, and yes, even take 30-60sec to make a call back and verify some small detail of the order.

To me, the call back eliminates both the chance of losing product by filling a fake order, and the chance of losing a sale, and potentially a customer, by canceling a legit order. And really, unless it is insanely busy, that would be a well-spent minute or two to make the phone call, IMO.
                          "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth myswtghst View Post
                            I've spoken with a woman whose real maiden name is Kandi Bahr. She's sweet enough that she can get away with it, however.
                            I now have people staring at me for laughing so hard.

Comment

I had a manager who's name is no lie, John Smith.

Now imagine having that generic a name, and someone doesn't do an order because they think it's a fake generic name.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                                Thomas T. Thomas will not reveal what the middle letter stands, I even emailed him and he claims it just sands for 'T'. I beat he get bugged about that alot.
                                Probably Thomas. I bet he doesn't use it because he doesn't like the uncle his parents named him after.
                                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                                X