Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my favorite replies for this type of situation.

1. I don't get payed enough to smile (yes, I've said this before)

2. I don't smile on demand (saving this one for a golden oppurtunity
    Screw normal. You know why? 'Cause if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader.

Christopher Titus.

Comment

Quoth Toujin
      Doesn't anyone realize that smiling all the time makes you look creepy?

Actually, I have a recurring daydream that's both freaky and laughable at the same time. Bob from the Enzyte commercial, grinning ear to ear, complete with soundtrack...chasing me with a chainsaw. Yes, I realize why he's smiling...but MAN, it's freaky.
      You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
        When this person ripped on me for not smiling I nearly burst into tears, and couldn't help myself when I said, "Well if someone from your family died yesterday I'd be wondering about you if you were smiling."
        Hm.... Depends on who in my family died....

Comment

I absolutly hate it when I am told to smile. I think it is the rudest thing in the planet.
          Last edited by monolayth; 02-07-2008, 10:23 PM. Reason: misspelling
          My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
            Yeah... the whole smiling thing, on me... Hell, even before my stroke, my smile looked like I was about ready to leap on you and gnaw on your face. After the stroke... I can only pull off smiles that scream, "I am going to bite your head off by chewing through your neck." My natural expression is far friendlier. I've scared people who knew what to expect with my smile before.
            "Smile!"
            "K..."
            *runs screaming in fear*
            "That's what I thought."

Huh, that could come in handy...
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth monolayth View Post
              I absolutly hate it when I am told to smile. I think it is the rudest thing in the planet.
              Agreed. It's no ones place to tell me what my facial expressions should be.
              Moreover, people should just mind their own damned business.
              Not smiling =/= rude.

Comment

I've always found it creepy when EVERY ONE in a store is always smiling. I know they would rather be somewhere else.

Comment

"Ma'am, I AM smiling. My unhappy face makes Mrs. Butterworth wet herself."
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
                    I've always found it creepy when EVERY ONE in a store is always smiling. I know they would rather be somewhere else.
                    And it makes you wonder if something sinister is afoot....

Comment

My supervisor once told me to smile. I told him flat out that if I'm smiling it means I'm thinking of how many ways I could kill someone.

He has never said it to me again.
                      Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

I got that especially when working 2nd shift at the hotel. It's busy then...people are checking in, people wanting to set wake up calls, people calling for reservations, etc. Every once in a while, someone will say "SMILE!"

Sorry I just don't get excited when I am checking someone in. I am courteous and friendly, but smiling too long looks freaky. When we are extra busy, I may forget to smile initally but cut me some slack!I'm not frowning either. I give customers a quick smile when I make eye contact with them, but that's about it. When I answer the phone, I put my smiling voice on though, but a smile 100% of the time is impossible.

I remember this one guest who had a smile on his face everytime I saw him. But it wasn't a friendly smile. It was a weird crazy looking smile. It was kind of like something you would see on the Twlight Zone.

Comment

I am tempted one of these days to smile like DDP. If you ever watched wrestling, you will know what I mean. The smile he had when he said something about I will help you like you. Flashes big smile.
                          "Oh, very good....Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, Potter. 'Ghosts are transparent.'" Severus Snape

Comment

"You want me to smile? Tell ya what.. I'll make myself smile..."

(Takes left middle finger, pushes up left corner of the mouth... takes right middle finger and pushes up right corner of the mouth)

"Good enough?"
                            Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

if i'm not smiling, no one here really fusses over it. sometiems one of the nicer ones will ask me if everything's all right. though there is one older man here, one of the higher bosses... he usually makes me smile, just cos he's almost always happy & polite himself.

Comment

Quoth Happy Otter Lover View Post
                                I used to work with this girl (well, she was like 26 but she acted like a kid) and she would walk around with a smile plastered on her face 24/7. It weirded me out. I think there was something actually wrong with her though... she was weird
                                Was it by chance at an office supply store or art supplies store? Sounds exactly like someone I know. Exactly. And yeah, it's unnerving. Huge broad grimacey grin with eyes ever so slightly too wide open is the scariest smile.

Although if I'm in a bad mood and I'm still smiling, people who know me keep out of arm's range.
                                "Respect: to admit that something one may not enjoy or prefer might still have great value." ~L. Munoa

Comment

Working...
                                X