This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth shenzee View Post
    Hey now- some very good wines don't have corks. St. Julian in Michigan makes a twenty dollar wine that has a screw top, which is great for people like me who only drink one-two glasses at a time. It keeps the wine fresher a little bit longer.
    I would also mention that the wine industry as a whole has admitted that there are better ways of sealing wine than cork. The real problem is traditionalists who can't imagine a world without cork removers.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

One of my dear friends worked at a specialty food & wine shop. My friend knows a lot about food but diddly squat about wines; the owner knew the wines by their first names (forgive the hyperbole). Nonetheless, every 4th customer, usually a woman, would demand my friend's opinion of the wine & not the owner's; because the owner was a woman & therefore could not possibly know about wines. But B, a guy, obviously did. They finally had a little routine where the owner would stand behind the customer's back & signal B about what opinion he should give.

Then the poor ignorant fellow (I really pity this one, no suckiness just lack of knowledge) who came in & asked what was a good year for Boeuf Bourguignonne. B blinked & said 'this one. I always get this year's. Alas, we don't carry that sir, but your grocery store might.' Poor guy wandered out again.
      I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Quoth TryNotToBeThatOne View Post
        Then the poor ignorant fellow (I really pity this one, no suckiness just lack of knowledge) who came in & asked what was a good year for Boeuf Bourguignonne. B blinked & said 'this one. I always get this year's. Alas, we don't carry that sir, but your grocery store might.' Poor guy wandered out again.

That is priceless. I would have loved to have seen the customer's face when he worked that one out.

Comment

i'd say... when in doubt, white zin.
          or if you really want to impress them, some nice ice-wine or muscato / late harvest blend

and i'm use to the cork wines but when i was in australia last year i went on a wine tasting tour and found that a lot of companies are going to the screw-cap types instead, in an attempt to prevent cork-rot issues

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
            My humblest apologies.

I occasionally drink a plum wine that has a screw top, too. It's yummy
            not to hijack the thread, but that sounds delicious! what's it called?

Quoth marasbaras View Post
            Cheap AND wants to pin the cheapness on you. Frankly, if the bottle is less than $20, I wouldn't give it as a gift. Just as a general policy to be safe.
            That's silly... I'm not a wine snob by any means, but it's perfectly possible to get a fantastic wine for $10-$12 a bottle, and there are some truly horrid wines available at $20-$30 a bottle. Basing your choice on price is especially bad if you've never personally tried the wine in question. Just leaf through the magazines they usually have at liquor stores for reviews - our liquor store gives their magazine away free, and the reviews are usually spot-on!

edited to add: I'm sorry, I just realized that saying 'That's silly' sounds really condescending and trivializing... didn't mean it that way... just meant that you don't have to spend a ton of money to give something good *blush*
            Last edited by Broomjockey; 02-09-2008, 05:05 AM. Reason: multi-quote
            GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
              not to hijack the thread, but that sounds delicious! what's it called?
              I'll PM it to you when I get home. It's a long name, and I never spell it right.
              "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth BaristaTrav View Post
                What doctor doesn't like Arbor Mist?
                LOL, although I'm even thinking they went cheaper than that...How 'bout a nice bottle of Boone's Farm!

Seriously though, what is wrong with people. "Will he like it?" UGH!

Comment

Working...
                X