Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sightings > Roadkill

Old 03-02-2019, 07:45 PM
Old counter jumper

Quote:
Quoth EricKei View Post
I mean, what are drivers supposed to do, YIELD to a mere human? Pff! For shame
There is a set of rules that should be more applicable. The rules of right of way at sea. They work like this -

You give way to any vessel from your starboard (right) side and expect any vessel on your port (left) side to give way to you, except power gives way to sail, and small gives way to might and lack of maneuverability gives way to no one.

So a large oil tanker in a narrow passage has to maintain way to keep its rudder working. It will run aground if it stops. The small sailboat zipping along in the water too shallow for the tanker gives way no matter the direction.

It is more common sense than a hard set of rules. A large sailboat on a tack close to shore cannot give way without running aground will not give way. A ski boat towing a person or two (in a designated ski area) will not give way. And so on an so forth.

So, on the road there is 2 tons of metal going 50 MPH with cars close in other lanes. It has nowhere to go. It cannot give way to a jaywalker. A person on a pedestrian crossing has right of way but would be foolish to step in front of a car doing 50 MPH.

I'm sure the jaywalker and the driver of the 50 MPH car are both in the wrong, but I'd rather be alive.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:23 AM
The Hero CS Deserves

True, true -- But I should clarify that these laws came about in residential and downtown areas where it had once been normal for people to all use the street to walk. Once those 20mph death machines got more popular and started killing people who were already in the street and just didn't think to move, these laws became more and more popular.
"Customers are like van gogh. They intentionally remove their ears when it suits them." TheDangOofMan, Reddit
"Logic: sometimes it's not a thing." - Food Lady

Old 03-04-2019, 05:56 PM
Warning: He thinks he's funny.

Quote:
Quoth gerund View Post
... and small gives way to might and lack of maneuverability gives way to no one.
"This is a lighthouse. Your call."

Old 03-05-2019, 12:15 PM
Area Manager

Quote:
Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
"This is a lighthouse. Your call."
"This is a bridge. Your call."

(In this case, the Captain decided to keep going straight (well couldn't stop going straight; the ship was reversing by the time impact happened. )

Old 03-08-2019, 04:58 AM
Area Manager

I was driving home after dark tonight when I noticed a faint movement near the curb.

A cyclist ... in dark clothes, with absolutely NOTHING on his/her bicycle or clothing that was reflective or "lightable." Oh, and the bike itself appeared to be dark-coloured.

Basically invisible UNLESS you happened to catch that faint flutter of movement near the curb ... the movement of the pedals and the overall movement of the bicycle. There was, of course, an excellent chance that some driver who was even momentarily distracted would mow this idiot down, possibly without even knowing what had happened.

Then after I got home, I was waiting by the elevator when the elevator door opened and out came ... a guy with his bicycle. He's in dark clothes. The bicycle is dark-coloured. And as far as I could see, it had nothing reflective or "lightable" on it.

It's an epidemic of stupid, I swear.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:53 AM
Area Manager

Partly I blame bike manufacturers and/or sellers. Maybe I'm misremembering, but when I was kid back in the last millennium, my bikes always came with a set of reflectors at least. Pedals, front, rear and wheels.

But when I got a new bike (granted one of my first bikes from a real bike store and not from Canadian Tire), the only reflectors were on the pedals and wheels. As soon as I realized there weren't any front/rear reflectors I went and got them to put a set on the bike.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:27 AM
Store Manager

I always went one better than reflectors. Active lighting, as much as I could get. At one point, I had 3 lighting sets forward, as well as the oddball-flashing leds in the back.

Of course, this did nothing for the idiots who "couldn't see" the only other moving light on the road at midnight.
I think I also needed to invest in paintballs for educational purposes.