This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
    So like I've mentioned, I got a second job. I got it because my paycheck from my full time job isn't enough, and I need money for food (my food bill has gone up somehow) and my gym membership. Though, I'm considering canceling that because it is expensive. Oh yeah and car repair bills. Those are never cheap.
    Anyway, everytime I tell my friends and family about that (the 2nd job, not the gym) I'm met with a reproachful and disapproving look. Someone even told me that I'm just being greedy and money hungry. Well money may not be everything, but it does make the world go round and I need it. And I do have a life outside of work. I socialize. I'm not going out everyday but maybe once a week cuz it's expensive. I work on my hobbies. So it's not like I'm a workoholic or something. I just like to have money to save up. But no one seems to believe this. At all. it's really bring me down.
    Soooo...I'm just wondering. If someone told you that they got a 2nd job, would you think s/he was greedy and money hungry? And if you have 2 jobs, do people tell YOU this? Just wondering.
    Seriously? I wouldn't be bothered by it, its your choice, so short answer no.

Long answer?
    Umm, they do understand that we live in a consumerism economy, right? As in buy all the things? While there's many practical reasons to work a second job, you've listed most of them, the 'greedy' ones are things like wanting more than you have, saving for school, saving to start a business, and so on.

Speaking of food expense, if you feed a lot of people, or don't mind a lack of variety, i highly recommend a crock pot, i have a chili recipe for example that'll use around $10-12 worth of ingredients, and makes 4-8 meals.
    Seph
    Taur10
    "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

I would bet the people calling you greedy aren't willing to fund the things you got the second job to pay for. They should also be aware that you need to be able to save for retirement.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I've never thought having two jobs was greedy. Like the majority of people here, if a person says they have two jobs I assume they needed two jobs. Though there are a few people at my work who have two jobs and I know aren't hurting for cash. Still, a regular employee at a retail job won't get rich, end of story.

People who assume two jobs equals greed are seriously out of touch.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Do you live in the United States? If so I'm surprised because here working yourself to the bone is a virtue. People who work two jobs because they HAVE to are respected as hard workers, or at least felt sorry for.
          "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

When I was working two part-time jobs, the worst comments I would get would be from guys whom I talked to online. When I would mention that I had two jobs, they immediately assumed that I "must" be a workaholic, and that I prefer two jobs instead of one.

I don't know if these guys were just making conversation, or were really that clueless, but it got old after awhile.

Comment

Yeah I don't get why people would think 2 jobs is stupid. If you lose one for whatever reason, you always have to other to fall back on. It's smart IMO.
              Just a few years ago people were getting fired right and left, and losing their homes. It's picked up a bit, but it could go back again without warning.
              My friends & family said that they don't like 2 jobs because they don't think I'll be able to handle the extra stress & work. They said that they wouldn't be seeing me as much anymore. Well, that's a surprise, since everytime I do visit them, they're always texting or running errands.
              Usually I don't give a fig what anyone else thinks of me, but when it's people you know, it gets to me. T_T
              Oh well.
              Can't reason with the unreasonable.
              The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Quoth NoRedCards View Post
                In my case, I started the 2nd job because we had bills to pay. Shortly afterward, my wife left her job to become a care-giver to her aunt, who recently passed, and then to her grandmother. So the 2nd became a necessity. Although I'm back to one at the moment, there are things coming up which will demand a 2nd job to be able to pay for them. Unless of course, Publishers Clearing House shows up at my door......
                ROFL !!!! Here's hoping you ARE the next PCH winner!

And those who disparage you for working two jobs?? F*** off!

Comment

Meh, work as many jobs as you are comfortable working (and is within the limits of the law).

Personally, I'm working FOUR jobs lately - 3 part time/casual, one full time (though across all the jobs I'm pulling maybe 60-65 hours at most per week)

1. Construction work with my uncle (full time - 35-40 hours a week)
                  2. Assistant Manager at a lasertag arena (3.5 hours a week)
                  3. Pizza delivery (part time - 8-10 hours a week)
                  4. Call Centre worker (casual - 10 hours every 2nd week)
                  Violets are blue,
                  Roses are red,
                  I bequeath to thee...
                  A boot to the head >_>

Comment

If you're exceeding the amount of income you would need for financial security, you might - maybe - perhaps - be starting to become greedy.
                    So let's define financial security....

My idea of financial security:
                    * Clean, safe housing with 'enough' space per person. 'Enough' is difficult to calculate, but if someone from Japan thinks your place is spacious, you probably have enough.
                    * Nutritious food, in sufficient quantity, with minimal-to-no wastage.
                    * Adequate transport, with reasonable safety, to work, medical, entertainment, and other necessities. And/or such things come to you (eg flying doctors, if you live in outback australia).
                    * Suitable heating, cooling, cooking facilities, cleaning facilities, yadda yadda.
                    * Ditto for clothing, furnishings, household goods.
                    * All of the above in good repair, though not necessarily 'pretty'. You don't need to live in Home Beautiful Magazine, you do need to live in safe environs.
                    * Access to affordable medical care suitable to your needs. Including potential future needs. (Debates about 'heroic' care are beyond the scope of a single post!)
                    * Access to affordable education (including tertiary education - which might be trade school/apprenticeships, not necessarily academia).
                    * Disability and/or elder income suitable to provide all of the above as well.
                    * All of that for your dependants.
                    * Some manner of replacement arrangements should not-your-fault circumstances cause you to lose it. Insurance is the usual arrangement I know of.
                    * I've probably forgotten something.

I'm well aware that this describes 'middle class' in most of the first world, and 'laughably out of reach' to everyone else. But it's what I think our societies should be aiming for, for our citizens.

If you want to work two jobs to aim towards it, that's not greed. That's aiming for financial independance, and good for you!
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Greedy? Wth, thats the stupidest thing I've ever heard O.o And I watched that "I speak fluent American" video last week :P

I never think that, I always view it with a mixture of admiration and pity. Pity because its usually indicative of a harsher financial situation (never fun) and admiration because nowadays it seems almost impossible to get 2 jobs to work around each other, at least here. So many jobs demand flexibility but give none back :/ If you somehow manage to make it work then thats something to be admired.

Comment

Agreed with the above.
                        BTW, you're not greedy, HM,--they're slackers.
                        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                          If you're exceeding the amount of income you would need for financial security, you might - maybe - perhaps - be starting to become greedy.
                          Dictionary.com says greed is "excessive or rapacious desire, especially for wealth or possessions." So you could be totally loaded, rich beyond belief, and still not be greedy. Since it's the attitude toward wealth or possessions that matters. I mean, I know people who think nothing of buying brand new luxury cars, live in gated communities, and travel to Europe every year, and I don't consider them greedy. They are nice people, and have jobs which pay a lot.

And it would be hard for me to have two jobs right now, because when I got to the part about availability it would be super complicated. I don't know how many employers are willing to hire someone without open availability. The people at my work who have two jobs often get double scheduled, and have to beg someone to take their shift. I'd have to quit anyway because of school. Classes and homework equal about 40 hours a week. Work will be about 20.
                          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I'm starting a second job soon myself. The thing is, when you work in a lot of retail type jobs the pay is pretty bad. The only way to get decent money is to climb into a manager position or work two of them.
                            If I want to have a place of my own with no roommate I'll need this job to live comfortably.
                            Otherwise I'd be eating Ramen or beans & cornbread on a daily basis.

Comment

The economy is still quite bad in much of the country. We used to have a nice house and one job each and were getting ahead; now we're in an apartment with two jobs each and barely getting by. I'm currently looking for a better job myself. I've had to work two, even three jobs at once, and it's bloody exhausting. I'd rather have a single steady job with a good income, but those are rather hard to come by. Pretty sure a lot of people are in the same predicament; they're not working two jobs because they're greedy, they're working two jobs because they have rent and bills to pay.
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I have one of those "comfy salaried jobs" and I also have another part time job. And on that other job I fill in when nobody else can, so no apologies here.

Comment

Working...
                                X