This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Art SC

So as some of you guys know, I am focusing a lot on freelance Art work at the moment. I still have my school and pub job, but the pub has taken a back seat recently so I can dive in and get some work behind me. I haven't worked there in a few weeks, hence the lack of posts. I will be returning next week though

I am also moving out of my parents. So everything is a mess of belongings, Art and crap. It's quite a busy time, so I decided to put a hold on any NEW art work until everything has calmed down a bit.

I get an inbox message.

SC: Hi there, I was wondering if you could do me a canvas of *famous movie scene* in your style?
    Me: Sure thing. However I should let you know that I am currently very, very busy at the moment, so I will not be able to make a start on it for a few weeks.
    SC: Oh. It's for a friends birthday...
    Me: When is that?
    SC: 12th April.
    Me: I'm sorry, but even if I wasn't busy, that is far too little notice.
    SC: Oh. Never mind. I thought you were good. One of your friends recommended you. I guess people can be wrong.

I didn't bother replying.

I updated my page with some new images.

SC: Oh! I thought you were too busy to do any work!
    Me: These are old pieces of work from my portfolio. Some of them are several months old and I am just uploading them now.
    SC: Yes, well...you just lost yourself a customer!

Ugh. Is this what freelance is going to be like?

Probably. The upside, you're fully allowed to snark back. Since he never was a customer in the first place. =P

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
      So as some of you guys know, I am focusing a lot on freelance Art work at the moment. ....

On the bright side, doing Freelance art work means you probably won't be getting doused with beer or yelled at for not getting food out quickly enough.

(And good luck to you!)
      Be a winner today: Pick a fight with a 4 year old.

Comment

Probably at least some of the time, yeah. There's no monopoly on being a douchebag in any given market, I'm afraid.

And you just lost a customer? I don't remember them paying you anything... Doesn't sound like a customer to me.
        "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

It's amazing how some people think that us artists can just shit out highly detailed art in a matter of hours. Those are also the same people who don't want to pay us what we are worth for our time and work because they think we do it for fun.
          My Fur Affinity Page:https://www.furaffinity.net/user/thetigress/
          My Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/profile/thetigress

Comment

Mediocrity's easy
            The good things take time
            The great need commitment
            Right down the line

Bob Seager: Lock and load

The correct response is:
            I am good. That is why it won't get done that soon.
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Of course not!

....it gets worse. :<
              By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

And people like that SC will make the low-tippers and non-tippers appear generous. They will want you to donate your work to them.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

SC: Oh. Never mind. I thought you were good. One of your friends recommended you. I guess people can be wrong.

"Good takes time. Crappy doesn't. Your choice."

Comment

What sort of art do you do customersruinmylife? Just curious if you have a gallery or anything.

Comment

c'mon, it's just a little canvas. I painted a whole room in less than a day. you must be lazy.

people who don't understand the process can't comprehend why things take as long as they do... and even explaining the process won't help them understand it.

"no, the authentication suite isn't fully built and integrated yet. asking me for 10 updates a day isn't helping."

Comment

Quoth roxtar View Post
                        c'mon, it's just a little canvas. I painted a whole room in less than a day. you must be lazy.
                        You're both lazy. I painted the town red in one evening.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth bankworking View Post
                          What sort of art do you do customersruinmylife? Just curious if you have a gallery or anything.
                          I mainly do pictures of movie scenes/posters and celebs. I also do portraits of friends if they request them (I have not yet put any on my page however). I also mainly work in black and white, with only one or two colours thrown in.

If you look under my threads, you will find a link for my images

Comment

Good, Fast or Cheap?
                            I actually show this to potential customers when they argue pricing. I have it on my phone for quick access!

I mean damn, yes you're an artist, but you're not Barry Allen fast.

Since you exist and all.
                            Last edited by Shironu-Akaineko; 04-11-2013, 09:17 PM. Reason: giant picture
                            Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

I've amended my "Triangle of quality"

Pick two:

Cheap - Fast
                              \ /
                              Go Fuck Yourself
                              Last edited by Dadeo; 04-11-2013, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X