This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Aethian View Post
    What about those plans from a book when you like the plans but want to change something in the basement area? Like putting in a room that would be a kennel for my sled team.
    The change has to be significant.

Significant is for the lawyers and their spawn, but in general if I can readily recognize the work as being based upon mine it is most likely not changed enough.
    SC Motto "I am more important than you and others and don't you ever forget it"

Comment

Quoth Zyanya View Post
      Your drafting instructor is both correct and dead wrong. I think the guidelines are along the lines of you have to change it at least 10%.

Intent matters here. If you are copying someone's plan but just moving a cabinet to make it 'yours', that's copyright violation. If you like what someone has done with a living room but redo the kitchen, bathroom, and exterior, that's more drawing inspiration.
      True, I think he said it to be facetious, and thankfully I've never had to worry about copyright infringement since I've only ever gotten "I like this, but I want these rooms bigger, kitchen over here, two story kitchen instead of a two story foyer (no idea) etc.

Comment

Quoth StevieJD View Post
        The change has to be significant.

Significant is for the lawyers and their spawn, but in general if I can readily recognize the work as being based upon mine it is most likely not changed enough.
        Well dang...now I feel like I've lost my dream home.

Comment

Isn't this a sad sad world where everyone thinks that they are entitled to whatever they feel they are entitled to. From a 25 cent pack of gum to design services, to car services, to XBOX games...

As a fellow designer I can say that I feel for you. Kudos for you for doing the whole networking thing and letting your friend know about someone was trying to take his work. I know that coming up with a design is tough, and then you feel very personal about that design.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
          X