X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is what can happen when computer center is not staffed

This happened yesterday.

I volunteer at one of the major hospitals located where I live the first & third Saturday of the month usually answering the phone at Volunteer Services.

There is a computer center located in the hospital which is staffed by volunteers Monday through Sunday. The volunteer who usually works there the first & third Saturday of every month was sick, & so she did not come in.

That caused a big problem for one of the inpatients.

The first 2 calls I received were not bad. I just told the person who was calling that the person who volunteers there could not make it in today. Both were understanding.

The male inpatient was the opposite.

me:" ABC Hospital Volunteer Services. How may I help you?"
    male inpatient: "I am calling because the computer center is closed. Why is it closed?
    me: "It is closed because the volunteer who usually works there on the first & third Saturday of each month could not make it in."
    male inpatient: *now has a condescending tone of voice*: "Oh... so volunteers work there."
    me: "Yes"
    male inpatient: *now has a demanding tone of voice*: "Here is the problem. I am an inpatient. I have a very important project I am doing for my family using google, & I need to use a computer. Where is there a computer I can use?"
    me: "One moment please. I will find out."

I put the guy on hold & I go find the Weekend coordinator so she can help him. She picks up the phone, looks up some information at her computer, & gives him a phone number he can call. She also explained to the guy 1) who staffs the computer center, 2) why there was not a volunteer there & 3) that when a volunteer is not available, unfortunately, it cannot be staffed.

She told me she could have gone up to the computer center & open it up herself so he could use the internet, but since she is interviewing 2 new volunteers today & there is no one else to staff the computer center, all she could do was to give the guy a phone number for him to call for help. She also told me she even though she could have done that, she was not going to do that.
    Last edited by snugglegirl05; 02-21-2010, 06:06 PM.

I think his overprivileged butt should be grateful he's in a hospital that has a computer center. Sounds like a waste of money to me.

Comment

I kinda like how you answer the phone Volunteer Services and point out volunteers work there. It actually makes me feel a little nicer about the people staffing these places because you want to be there and you're not getting anything for it. I would still treat employees politely, regardless of whether they're volunteers. But it's harder to be demanding of niceties when those services are voluntary to start with.

Unless you're SC of course. Still, keep up the good work.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth Hobbs View Post
        Sounds like a waste of money to me.
        Id agree. Though my hospital has just started with the wi-fi...we'll see how far behind a computer center is...

Comment

OK I'm making an assumption here (dangerous yeah, I know) that you are in the USA.
          What I don't get is this:- if healthcare is run as a "for profit" business, why would ANYONE wish to volunteer their time to something that is just another commercial enterprise?
          After all, you don't find people volunteering to work at McDs for free, do you?

Comment

Quoth lineswine View Post
            OK I'm making an assumption here (dangerous yeah, I know) that you are in the USA.
            What I don't get is this:- if healthcare is run as a "for profit" business, why would ANYONE wish to volunteer their time to something that is just another commercial enterprise?

Probably some jobs require community service, for benefits or "to show the community we CARE About YOU, so come spend your money here" type thing, so they have a computer center for the community so you can accumulate the hours, work for free, and they get all 3 of the benefits. I mean, after all, they dont want you to work for free earning someone else the money they could be making off you.

Comment

The hospital that I work for is a not-for-profit. All profits have to be reinvested in the hospital and we have to take a certain amount of charity cases. The volunteers here staff the information desk, run toner, and staff the giftshop.

Comment

Yes, our local hospital is like that as well. I imagine a lot of hospitals use volunteers. The guy was just being a self-entitled ass.

Comment

"I have a VERY IMPORTANT PROJECT to do using GOOGLE."

Ayyyuuup, and I need to get my very important homework done and I need wikipedia.

If he had stopped before mentioning google I would have taken him a bit more seriously...
                  Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Same reason why people volunteer @ homeless shelters, soup kitchens, churches, habitat for humanity etc....its a feel good thing. Ive noticed alot of the volunteers where I work are retired seniors...so they have something to do during the day thats still productive, but dont need to be paid. Better than sitting home watching Liberty Mutual commercials...

Its not always about the money.

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                      Same reason why people volunteer @ homeless shelters, soup kitchens, churches, habitat for humanity etc....its a feel good thing. Ive noticed alot of the volunteers where I work are retired seniors...so they have something to do during the day thats still productive, but dont need to be paid. Better than sitting home watching Liberty Mutual commercials...

S'true. My mother volunteers at a hospital, and for the city as an emergency services worker. It keeps her active, busy, out of the house. She's made some new friends, and always has something to talk about. Bless her 85 year old heart!
                      I no longer fear HELL.
                      I work in RETAIL.

Comment

Also, people do volunteer work at McDonald's. Only it's the Ronald McDonald House Charities division.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post

A "for profit" homeless shelter? OK, that's a new on on me. They may exist, but I've not come across one.

I can understand helping out at a "not for profit" organisation, but at a commercial outfit it just means they make money from you.
                          Indeed, being able to employ your skills for the good of others for free is something I do on a regular basis, but not when there is a profit motive involved for the receiver.

I hope to be able to keep functioning & useful when I'm retired, mostly to stop me becoming exactly what you say...non-productive.
                          Last edited by lineswine; 03-03-2010, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X