This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 54 cents!

Okay, I haven't really had anyone bad enough to post about for a while. And this isn't much, but her attitude just got to me (even though this occurance actually isn't all that uncommon, sadly).

So, this lady bought some of our small Christmas bags for 50 cents each. She leaves, I start ringing up the next person. A few minutes later, the first woman rushes to my register with such a look of cockiness and self-importance. (She didn't really look angry. Instead, she looked proud of herself that she had found something to complain about.) Surprisingly, she did get in the back of the line and wait her turn.

When she gets up to me, she slams her receipt down and gloats at me, telling me I had made a BIG mistake that she wanted fixed right away! The mistake? I had accidentally rung her up for three bags instead of just two. Okay, it happens. So I get out the slip we have to fill out for refunds (we have very antiquated registers and no computer system of any sort, so this is how we keep track of our returns) and begin filling it out. When I reach the total (a whopping 54 cents), I make sure to say it more loudly than I usually would. (The person waiting in line behind her happened to be a coworker, so she got a kick out of watching.)

Our return slips also have an area for the customers to fill out their personal info. This is only to track possible scammers. There is also a line for their signature that many people overlook, including this lady. So I point out to her that she also needs to sign.

SC: I DID! Right here! (At this point, she snatches my pen out of my hand and slams the end on the slip to show me where she signed.)
    Me: Actually, ma'am, that's your phone number. I asked for your signature, please.

SC rolls her eyes, but does sign. The entire time she has still been gloating and looking around at the other customers as though she expects them to begin applauding her. By this point, she is so huffy and puffy that once she grudgingly signs, she starts rushing for the door...without her money.

I guess that 54 cents wasn't so important after all.
    Last edited by Craftstoreslave; 12-14-2006, 10:59 PM. Reason: I have forgotten how to spell.

She has way too much time on her hands if she gloats about a 54 cent mistake

Comment

I had a couple of people like that when I worked at Hobby Lobby. (no computer system, had to handwrite every return)

I usually didnt mind doing returns, but I'd occasionally get people who would get all ticked because we didnt have a computerized system to do the returns. That's when I would start writing very slowly and triple check my math.

Comment

Yeah, why doesn't Hobby Lobby have computerized registers yet?

Comment

We only have to take info when we are giving a cash return at my particular brand of craft store. Some people get so pissed off when they have to fill it out.

A lady asked what I'd do if she didn't fill ALL of it out (it asks for name, address, phone number and signature) it out, I told her not give her the money. She said that we should be happy that she was even filling it out. I didn't point out that she should be happy that we were allowing her to return things.

I am glad that the register does the math for me. Not that I am unable, I am just completely unwilling.

But I would have today (11 days until Christmas and people are surprised to hear that the craft store is either out of or running low on seasonal items. People we've been out of the Christmas flags since Thanksgiving!)

At my store, if she'd have done that, I would technically have to have sent her to the customer service. Not that I couldn't start the return and have an fes come over and turn her key...but that I just wouldn't WANT to.

All people seem to do lately are returns. I HATE returns.
          you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

Quoth phoenix_rising View Post
            Yeah, why doesn't Hobby Lobby have computerized registers yet?
            Because the owner of the company is a devout Christian and he believes scanners ar evil. He recently published a book about it giving different reasons, but I've always thought that was the real one.

Comment

Quoth Craftstoreslave View Post
              There is also a line for their signature that many people overlook, including this lady. So I point out to her that she also needs to sign.

SC: I DID! Right here! (At this point, she snatches my pen out of my hand and slams the end on the slip to show me where she signed.)
              Me: Actually, ma'am, that's your phone number. I asked for your signature, please.
              Ah, angry stupidity. Or is it stupid anger? Anyhoo, I got a chuckle out of that.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Hey simply another, sounds like you work at Michael's, am I right?

Michael's does the dealie for returns only when it's cash, and most people don't have a problem with it. If they don't want to give a piece of information I just write "refused" in that spot so I don't get in trouble.

Although back in the day when they wouldn't want to give a phone number I would say "If you want your money back you will." and they would subsequently give me a fake number.

Actually my girlfriend has you beat though. She was ringing this lady through one day, and all she returned was a piece of scrapbook paper worth a grand total of...... 28 cents. This lady came all the way down to our store, and waited in line, just for 28 cents. What a waste of life.
                Last edited by tonydanza; 12-15-2006, 04:01 AM.

Comment

The woman probably used 28 cents worth of gas to drive back to the store to return the paper.
                  Last edited by simplyanother; 01-20-2007, 01:34 AM. Reason: mentions place of work, removed mention

Comment

hahaha, that's awesome to find another michael's monkey on here. Got any good stories? 40% coupon madness? What position are you?

Comment

I'm just a cashier. (Well, at least that's what my name tag says. lol. Which you know means that I get to do just about everything. lol.)

[Edited to remove something that might help my superiors identify me, I hope that is okay.]

The coupon annoys the snot out of me. THE FOLLOWING IS REALLY BORING: I had two girls come to my register during turkey day weekend (might have been friday, I don't know). One of them had a coupon, the other did not. First girl used the coupon. I tore it out of her ad and put it in my register. Finished her transaction.

One whined to the other "she TOOK the coupon!". Because, apparently the fact that it SAYS I have to take the thing wasn't a clue that I'd be physically taking custody of the thing. Second girl asked me if I had any extra coupons. I told her no, because we don't. She then asked if I could just use her friends. Again, the answer is no. I total up her crap and she swipes her card..blah blah.

While I'm waiting for it to go through another customer walked up and asked me if something was on sale, so I pulled out the ad...and the second girl whined..."YOU DO TOO HAVE EXTRAS!". I told I did not. She said YOU DO TOO!, pointing at the ad in my hand. I turned it over and showed her that it said VOID on the coupon. As her card goes through, she pouts.. "ITS NOT FAIR".

She was just so whiney and pouty, not really BAD, it was her tone. She wasn't bitchy, she was so "disgruntled third grader". If she hadn't been so just--irritating I'd have let her sign the dang coupon sheet. I don't tolerate whiney people very well.

Gah. I'm going to craft myself a "no whining button"
                      Last edited by simplyanother; 01-20-2007, 02:41 PM. Reason: removed specific information.

Comment

I hate that damn coupon sheet. I half fill it up on a daily basis. My store is the number 1 coupon log offender in the zone (Most of California). It's rediculous that corporate will tell us to give coupons to people that don't have it, and then at the same time get mad at us for giving it to too many people that ask for it.

Also, I don't think we were allowed to give the coupon sheet to people on the thanksgiving weekend. The 25% off your whole purchase couldn't be done without scanning the actual coupon, same with the turkey bucks. I had plenty of people get pissed at me for not giving them a coupon.

That's stupid that those girls thought they could each share the same coupon. Fucking morons.

As for me, I used to be Price integrity coordinator, but now I'm lead sales. I'd hate to be an FES though, having to turn keys all day, and leaving your register to do it, making the customer waiting for you to get mad.

Comment

I love that miss all important made such a fuss about her 54 cents...and then stalked off without it. What an ass....

I agree- I don't tolerate whiney or nasty people at all. Suddenly, everything you say will be taken literally, or every policy suddenly comes to mind and well, I would just LOVE to help out, but policy says...

I dealt with a true bitch at one of my old photo jobs. She was giving us SUCH a hard time. So, we get around to ringing out finally. Well, our store had a thing where if you bought 3 sheets of certain sizes, you got a discount for getting it as a package. She had sheets that qualified her for a package. She also had a coupon for a free sheet. She slams the photos on the counter- "I want to pay for THIS, THIS and THIS. and I want THIS for free." (the order she pointed them out in broke up the package...so, she had to pay full price for each sheet, instead of getting a package discount) NOW- if she had been nice, I would have pointed this out and rung it up as a package with free sheet. She was an asshole...so guess what? Someone paid 8 dollars more than she had to. Afterall, I gave her precisely what she requested, and the customer is always right!

Don't mess with me.
                          I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

I worked in a craft store alot like were you work (all be it on the other side of the world) and we had to ask for the same information

oh the trials I went through to get stuff out of the customer..... everyone would forget to sign to....ugh

I cant even go into a craft store now without a small black pit of anger in my stomach
                            I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Actually, I don't work at Micheal's. Some other people earlier in the thread had it correct when they were talking about Hobby Lobby.

Comment

Working...
                              X