Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've managed to cut the same finger twice at work. The first time was a couple years ago. Someone needed something cut on the meat saw while I was working the butcher block. The meat cutter wasn't available and silly me had watched them use the saw a zillion times and thought it didn't look too hard. I was doing great until it got my finger. I wrapped a couple paper towels around it and went to the pharmacy to ask for some bandages. The pharmacist took one look at how much blood was on the towel and insisted that I go to the doctor's.

The second time was just a couple weeks ago. The meat manager had just gone to lunch and the assistant was running late as usual. A customer needed some steak chopped up and was being a pain about waiting for a cutter to come in. I've had some training on the knife cuts so I figured I'd take care of him. I was chopping away and next thing I knew I had blood all over my hand. Funny thing is it hadn't even registered I'd cut myself. (Ever since that first bad cut, I have very limited feeling in this finger.) The assistant manager showed up while I was trying to clean myself up. I was just going to get a Bandaid and go back to work. He reported it to the manager on duty who offered to let me go to the doctor. I thought that would be a waste of time and just had the assistant help me bandage it up good. I still ended up getting sent home early since the manager felt I wouldn't be able to handle wrapping any meat with my finger bandaged up as much as it was.
    Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

AS a machinist - had a lathe go wonky and spall shards of alloy B bronze from a valve body I was working on into my face and neck. Many of them are still there and have periodically worked their way out over the past 30 years.

As a haz mat tech and machinist in a chemical factory - phosgene inhalation twice, innumerable inhalation of ammonia, chlorine, sulfur dioxide, most acids and bases that we handled in liquid form commercially, dust/residue from the graphite/asbestos packing, blast media of various types, blast residue including various types of verdigris, powdered litharge, various chlorinated hydrocarbons. Heck, grab a condensed chemical dictionary and let your fingers do the walking

As a rad whore for T&M, Furmanite and Henze-Movats in nuke plant shut downs I got coolant spilled on me and had to be decontaminated and lost about 6 inches of hair, whacked my thigh with a hammer hard enough to leave a bruise for about a month, was required to take half an hour off earlier than any guy on my shift to shower because the plant was being painted with polyamide paints [it can be teratogenic if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant and get exposed. Only time I showed anybody my medical record demonstrating that I had a tubal ligation just so I could work that extra half an hour to make a full shift]

Got tapped by a car who was being driven like it was entered in a rally by one of those crazy finn rally drivers while walking rounds in a bank parking garage. Knocked me over and tore my uniform jacket.

innumerable paper cuts while making and collating copies, doing filing or handling paper in any form
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
        When I was a waitress, I slipped on the kitchen floor carrying a tray full of plates. Every single one broke on my head. Concussion, probably, but I couldn't afford to go to the doctor. Fun Fact: I was wearing the "no slip" shoes my work forced me to buy or else I'd "slip and hurt myself."
        I had a near slip and fall with the "no slip" shoes the provided. Regular sneakers were more slip resistant than the things they had. I ended up buying my own pair of actual slip resistant shoes that were actually slip resistant.

Comment

Man, I thought my 'injuries' were very minor already... Then I read this thread, and it's confirmed. The WORST I've had at work for injuries have been two cuts from cardboard boxes("I fought the box and the... BOX won!"), and managing to jam my right index finger against the latch catch for the gate between SCO and Tool World. It didn't hurt until about an hour later... It took 10 or so minutes for the indent left by the gate to pop back out. And it was right on the joint before the nail, so it was stiff and sore for a good long while. On the plus, I was already up-to-date on tetanus from an accident a couple years earlier...

Though more embarrassing and "How in the...?", but... Last week, week before? I managed to get a paper cut... From a $1 bill. Yeah, from MONEY. I don't think it was even crisp and new.
          Look, a signature!

If every cashier in the world went on strike, retail would come to a screeching halt, even if for a couple hours.

Comment

At the motel, worst I had was a needle prick. It slipped through the garbage bag I was holding and poked me in the leg. Fortunately, it didn't break the skin, and I ended up being fine, but it sure was scary waiting to find out I was okay. (One of my CWs got Hep C from a needle prick.)

On the paper route, I slipped on a wet wooden step and came crashing down on top of my foot. I sprained it badly, and of course forgot my cell phone so I couldn't call for help. I barely finished the route (I was on my last two blocks) and carefully drove home. Hitting the gas and break pedals hurt so bad I was crying. I had go be on light duty at the motel, and Hubby had to drive me around on the paper route for a few days.
            Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

hrm let's see...

I developed tendonitis from the potato farm during harvest, bruised my hands and nearly broke my knee at the amusement park, gotten my hands caught in a printing machine, tried to put a hole in my finger with a grometing kick-press, nearly sliced off my finger at the mascot place, nearly got run over by a forklift, ahh.... hrmmm... at my current job, nearly broke my hand when moving some kegs and they got caught between two full ones. haven't done anything bad lately though, so yeah.
              "FUCK NO I DON'T WANT YOUR FREAKY ALIEN MOTHERSHIP ORANGES. " - Cookiesaur
              ~~

Munkie's NaNo WC: 9648

Comment

From my office jobs, I've just had the usual. Whacked funny bones in elbows and knees, paper cuts, a few cardboard cuts (those sting like a bitch), and staple attacks. Sousy's stapler doesn't close staples properly (the tension staplers don't work as well if they're not sitting flat) and I've already bled on the paperwork once.

The worst wasn't really an injury. While working at Medieval Times, we had to wear satin tops and fabric with satin trim skirts that had slits up the sides. I worked selling tickets, so my station was in a little booth outside the building. After working for nearly a year to get the place to design some kind of cape for those of us forced to work in damp little booths with no heat in the winter, I came down with a nasty case of bronchitis.

After that I managed to track down a sweatshirt that they would let me wear under the top (I never did get why that was ok but making us capes like the servers got to wear wasn't).

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Present job: I was asked to clean our hot point (a hot point is a heating tool for foods such as nacho cheese) the hot point was filled with 185 degree water and I was sliding it down the counter towards the sinks, some how I ended up sliding it off the counter and dumping all the hot water on my stomach and side, instant blisters!! I have also burned myself many times.
                  Previous job: This happened about 24 years ago but I was working as a donut fryer for a bakery and as I was scooping out donut holes from the fryer with the "fish net" thing, I stuck a portion of my hand in the hot shortening. OUCH!!
                  All other injuries have been minor cuts, scrapes and such.

Comment

When I lower the landing gear for a trailer, if it's free-spinning, I'll usually step back and spin the crank with one hand to lower it fast. Once I leaned forward to look at something while the crank was spinning. Had my mouth open (breathing through it I guess) and the crank spun upwards and smacked a tooth. That tooth is still crooked to this day.

Not even a month after that incident, I was opening a trailer door. The scrap cardboard was packed all the way to the back and I didn't realize a bale was pushing against the door. As a result, as soon as the door handle was free of its latch, it swung forward and smacked me in the side of the face, making me cut the inside of my lip on a tooth with the force. It didn't hurt too bad until I reached up to feel my lip and came away with a hand covered in blood...luckily it clotted quickly and I just went about my night. Took an Excedrin though!

Comment

Lesse...

Old job: Loats of the usual cuts, scrapes and burns from working in a restaurant. The worst one was when one of the kitchen staff put fresh bread racks in my prep area right from the oven. (They were supposed to go to a cooking area first, then to my prep area). Really really hot cast iron looks exactly like room temp cast iron, people! Burt all 5 finger tips on both hands.

New job: Various bumps and bruises, mostly. A couple of months ago i dropped the corner of a big 4U server onto my left foot. ...Right onto the still-healing toe that i'd broken just a few days prior.

Comment

When I worked at the motel, a kitten I'd just pulled out of the dryer vent sank its fangs into my finger up to the gum line.
                        Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

*shudder* This thread makes me so glad, I had never any serious workplace injury, just some paper or cardboard cuts and bruises. And it makes me appreciate even more that our warehouse guy is such a safety nazi, enter our warehouse without a hard hat at your own peril, he will rip you a new one, even if you are the boss.
                          No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Toss-up; a chemical burn from creosote wood preservative a few decades ago, taking up my entire lower leg; and a chisel that slipped while I was adding a deadbolt to a door, cutting a nice little gash in my hand. I was looking at my own tendons... Took a number of stitches to close.

Comment

Quoth BeeMused View Post
                              ... enter our warehouse without a hard hat at your own peril ...
                              ... and your own pelvis will be your hard hat ...
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Welding: HAd a spool of wire (60 lbs) fall from 6' above me on my shoulder...dislocated. Went to hospital, went back to work the next day, a week later a kids moving plate without locking the clamp, i notice its about to fall and pull him out of the way...plate hits the ground and lands on the same shoulder.....dislocated a second time.

I also hit the side of my boot wit ha sledge hammer so hard it broke my pinky toe. Like...it went completely sideways lol. I just kept working though, it still sits underneath the next toe, kinda ugly. I also broke several fingers, one time to the point where it was touching the back of my hand, a quick snap and some tape, and back to work lol.

Im very stubborn. Hell, even after my recent surgery, the day after i was busted by the wife climbing up the stairs lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X