Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone got any experience dealing with injured birds?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone got any experience dealing with injured birds?

I found this poor guy at the bus station on my way home last night in a pretty poor state, one of its legs is broken and it looks like its feathers have been pulled clean from the top of its head, if not outright scalped. It may have been a cat, but it is unlikely since there is no sign of claw or tooth marks elsewhere on the body.

I'm planning to take it to the vet in the morning, but I need to make sure I deal with it properly overnight so that it survives the night, thankfully it is fully awake and aware, though it is rather quiet, which may be signs of shock.

Any hints/tips?

Violets are blue,
    Roses are red,
    I bequeath to thee...
    A boot to the head >_>

A quick google search says 'place in darkened, ventilated box until treatment by a vet'.

Hope that helps.
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Box is probably to prevent him from flying/trying to fly and furthering injuries, dark is to calm generally diurnal animals.
      And warmth of course, but looks like you have that covered.

Hope he pulls through, poor lil' guy!

Comment

Yeah, his wings seem pretty good, if having minimal injuries since he has already tried to hop out several times now, he definitely has a good set of lungs with the cawing he started doing when I finally got him back into the container again (I don't have a suitable sized box annoyingly, which is why I was using that old rice cooker dish)
        Violets are blue,
        Roses are red,
        I bequeath to thee...
        A boot to the head >_>

Comment

I rehab pigeons. Not sure what kind of bird this is.

I would start with warmth (to counteract the shock). A heating pad set on low covered in an old towel should do the trick. Or fill an old sock with dried rice or beans and place in the microwave till warm then put it next to the bird.
          Next go with darkness to calm him/her down.

That is really all you can do until you can get him to the professionals.

Comment

Is there a wildlife rehab place in your area? The vets or the SPCA might know of somebody who rehabs injured birds.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

So how did it go? What'd the vet say/do?

Comment

I'm not a wildlife rehabber, but you seem to have things under control for the 'before seeing the vet' aspect.

The SPCA will have the best advice; certainly better than I have. And they will almost certainly be able to tell you where your local rehabbers are.

Also, ask our friend google for 'wildlife rehabilitation' and your local area as the third keyword.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Kagato View Post
                  Any hints/tips?

Keep the bird away from Paul
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                    Keep the bird away from Paul.
                    Okay, lemme go get a paper towel, I need to wipe the soda off my monitor. Damn, keep forgetting rule 1...

Comment

Working...
                    X