This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How an SC guarantees they get a suspension

I got to deal with this idiot yesterday. Normally, I don't care if people swear in their emails or call us idiots. We just make fun of them and move on. This one pushed it way too far. His email is below, I only edited one word, the rest is original (copy and paste).

Message: Still bidding and selling motha fuckas! How you like me now?
    You need to actually follow through with what your policies are. YOU
    CANT SELL VIRTUAL CURRENCY ONLINE. IT VIOLATES FFXI, WOW, ETC. T.O.S.
    (TERMS OF SERVICE). I THINK THIS WEBSITE IS RUN BY N*****S. THATS HOW
    DUMB YOU ARE.

He was suspended for violating policy and opened new accounts to keep doing it. I didn't bother to respond to this asshat. Instead, I went in, suspended all 7 of his accounts, and included his email in the account notes to make sure he never gets any of them back.

Oh, and I made note of his accounts so I can keep checking on him and suspend him again if he opens any more.

Booyah. I really hate it when people think multiple accounts will save them from their own dumbassery. And then they do it all over again on the other accounts, or let people know [publicly] that they're supposed to be suspended, banned, whatever it may be. Smart, aren't they.

Comment

What's it take to have an account?

If it's like eBay and only takes a valid email address, how, precisely, do you actually stop someone from opening a new one?

... nevermind that most people who get themselves banned are too stupid to keep a low profile. Most of them are dumb as rocks.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I am not an Ebay user, but on another forum I used to visit, we had many trolls who kept making more and more accounts, only to keep getting banned time and time again (I assume Raps and the other mods are familiar with this routine as well).

That forum was very similar to this one, as it was a place for waitstaff to bitch and moan about lousy tippers and whatnot. It attracted many, many trolls. Part of the reason why I left.
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
          What's it take to have an account?

If it's like eBay and only takes a valid email address, how, precisely, do you actually stop someone from opening a new one?

... nevermind that most people who get themselves banned are too stupid to keep a low profile. Most of them are dumb as rocks.

^-.-^
          Ok, I'll admit, it IS eBay. I don't remember all the details of what it takes to create a new account - not my department.

I can't go into any details, but we do have tools that are good at finding people's other accounts. It is also spelled out quite clearly in the user agreement that if your account is suspended for any reason, you are not permitted to use eBay at all until the suspension is resolved. Violating this will almost always ensure that you never get your account back, and we don't care if you have 10k feedback, you knowingly circumvented your suspension.

My favorite story of the stupid person bragging about using multiple accounts happened like this:

I was working the graveyard shift at the time and we were monitoring the site and message boards during some contest that was going on. One idiot was being especially mouthy and after removing a few of his posts told him to stop or he would be banned from the forums. Of course he just HAD to get in the last word, so he replied (on the public forums) to my coworker saying he'd keep doing whatever it was he was doing (can't remember what it was) and he wasn't afraid of getting banned since this wasn't his main account, we'd never find his main account, this one was only used for posting on the forums, etc., etc. and then proceded to use a whole bunch of profanity aimed at the rep.

Well, my coworker of course banned him from the forums, but I decided that this guy needed to be taught a lesson. So I went and interrupted the graveyard supervisors from the meeting they were in, told them what had happened and asked permission to suspend the guy for it. They agreed with me.

Using the info from the account he used on the forums and info in his posts, I was able to find not only his main account, but the accounts of his immediate family (like his wife's account) and then suspend all of them! (We don't want him to just login to their accounts and keep abusing reps and other users, now do we? )

To top it all off, when he wrote in begging for the accounts to be reinstated about an hour later, after he realized that we suspended ALL his family's accounts (he had tried to login to each one of them), who did he happen to get? The person sitting right next to the rep he told off in the forums, who had seen and heard everything that had happened.

The reply was basically pointing out to him in nice, fine detail every bad thing he had done and told them they'd be suspended for at least a month and would be permanently banned from the forums (he had been warned repeatedly before he started getting abusive).

BUT it doesn't end there! Oh no! What does this foul mouthed simpleton do? He replies to the denial email cursing out the rep that warned him in the forum and the one that told him he'd have to wait a month before getting his accounts back.... and of course being the graveyard shift, the SAME rep gets his email! He is then told that because of his attitude, language, etc. that his suspension (and that of his family) was now PERMANENT and the rep made sure to document all of this on every one of the accounts.

I would have loved to watch him explain to his family how he managed to get their accounts suspended. I bet his wife was pissed!

Comment

Ebay Rocks!! Well, except for the 2 times that someone used my account to list superbowl tics and send emails to other members. But all turned out well....
            If you don't like my attitude, talk to the manager!!! Oh, wait, that would be me!!

Yes, I'm the manager. I'm also known as "the brick wall".

Comment

Now would be a good time to ban his IP address.
              Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                Now would be a good time to ban his IP address.
                That is what I was thinking
                Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Banning the IP address....that's a GREAT idea! At least you can put a more permanent ban on that SC.
                  I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                  Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                  Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

IP addresses are easy to change, but it looks like this guy is a moron so it might work.

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                      (I assume Raps and the other mods are familiar with this routine as well).
                      We have funnier methods.

Rapscallion

Comment

Funnier methods? What does that mean, or do I not want to know?
                        "But I don't want to be among mad people."
                        You can't help that. We're all mad here. Every fucking one of us.

Comment

They're so funny, I can't tell you!

Rapscallion

Comment

*Psst*
                            Raps' Method
                            Don't tell anyone I showed it to you.
                            "I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... Well, the difference being one is a job and the other's mental sickness!" -The Sniper

Comment

*dies*
                              "But I don't want to be among mad people."
                              You can't help that. We're all mad here. Every fucking one of us.

Comment

Working...
                              X