This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "are you shopping for some one over 55?"

The company that I work for offers a "senior discount" to patrons over age 55 every Tuesday. Rather than offend some one (usually a vain woman) by asking "are you over 55?" The cashiers ask, "are you shopping for some one over 55?"

A rather frumpy looking woman took her place in line with several cases of water...the seventeen year old cashier politely asked "are you shopping for some one..." and the frumpy lady (FL) went ballistic--"HOW DARE YOU??" "I have shopped here for 25 years and never been asked something SO offensive!!" FL storms to the courtesy desk to complain about the young lady.

FL: I am offended! That child asked my age--how dare she?!?
    CSM: Ma'am she asked "are you shopping for some one over 55--not your age."
    FL: I have shopped here since the last owners sold out and left us with you rude pieces of crap!"
    CSM: Ma'am today is Tuesday...we ask any one who appears to be eligible if they qualify for our discount as tactfully as possible. I apologize for offending you.
    FL: Well, I have never been asked on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday....why would she ask something so offensive today?
    CSM: Ma'am because it is TUESDAY and we ONLY offer the discount on Tuesday.
    FL: Why didn't she ask the person behind me?
    CSM: Ma'am are you referring to the person I just carded for alcohol?
    FL: YES...why ask me not him?
    CSM: Ma'am if I card him for alcohol it is doubtful he is eligible for the discount.
    FL: Asking some one their age is discrimination and prejudice. I am calling the corporate office to complain that I was discriminated against.
    CSM: Yes ma'am I understand your frustration...here is the corporate number. Please be sure to tell the representative all the details...and don't forget today IS Tuesday.

Yes, twenty minutes of my life that I will never get back....and never once did it click that the cashier was attempting to offer her a 10% discount on her purchase on TUESDAY!!

Lady, you be old. Get over it.

It kind of reminds me when one of our security guards was ranting because a newspaper articled described an "elderly" 65-year-old (Security Guard is around 75 btw). Of course, he was complaining in a sarcastic and joking sense...
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
      Lady, you be old. Get over it.
      ...and be thankful the cashier didn't just assume your were well within discount range.

Comment

If I'd been the manager I would have been sorely tempted to tell that old biddy "I certainly do apologize and no insult was intended. Here, if you'll write down your name for me I'll make sure to give a note to all the cashiers here to NEVER ask if you qualify for any of our discounts. Have a lovely day!"
        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I was offered a "senior discount" when I was just 50, had just been to the hairdresser's and thought I was looking pretty good. Apparently I was wrong. A few months later, I was shopping at a garden centre with my aunt, and we were both offered the "young lady" discount. Much better!

Comment

Whoof. Someone's a vanity-puss.

It's weird, because when the biddy brigade crowded around my register every Sunday morning at the Burger Bomb, they waved their senior discounts like trophies. I'd be willing to bet that a lot of them were 39 years old as long as there wasn't a bottomless cup of coffee for a quarter on the line.

Comment

we were both offered the "young lady" discount. Much better!
              Hey, I like that!!

There was one time I went to the local thrift shop and the cashiers had been told that they HAD to ask EVERY CUSTOMER if they were over 65 or older (for a senior discount). They kept saying how stupid it was to ask teens and others who were obviously not that old, but some "big brain" up the management chain had made this a rule. It didn't last long, though. The next time I went there they had stopped doing that
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

If she wants to pay the extra 10% (stupidity tax) who are we to argue?

Comment

Too bad you couldn't turn it around on her.

"Due to <PersonX> claiming that asking the age is discrimination, we will no longer be offering Senior's Discount Tuesdays. Be sure to thank <PersonX> for opening our eyes to this type of age discrimination."

I'm sure Matlock would have no problem defending the resulting missing persons case.

Comment

Senior discounts are a trap! If you ask someone if they qualify, and they don't, they are insulted. If you assume they qualify and just give it to them, they are insulted. If you don't ask and don't give it to them, they bitch about not getting the discount. Ya can't win!

I once asked a woman who appeared to be hovering on the edge of the qualifying age, and she said "I can't believe you just asked me that! Oh God, I just want to just go lay down in the parking lot and let a truck run me over!" Really? Being offered a discount makes you suicidal? Maybe they shouldn't let you out in public alone, drama queen!

She also told me she will NEVER come to my line again! Thank you, baby Jesus! I just hope she keeps her promise...

Comment

Ma'am, the day that TattooedMommie rang up your order was the most important day of your life...but for her...? It was Tuesday.
                      Quoth TattooedMommie View Post
                      She also told me she will NEVER come to my line again! Thank you, baby Jesus! I just hope she keeps her promise...
                      Good luck on that one....*crosses fingers*
                      Last edited by EricKei; 07-28-2014, 01:38 AM.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

When I worked at Kohls (many, many moons ago) we were told to not ask but if we thought they might be old enough to just give it to them. If they weren't old enough they would just get a bonus discount and (according to management) would be so appreciative. If I remember right, most people weren't.
                        "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Senior discounts are a trap! If you ask someone if they qualify, and they don't, they are insulted. If you assume they qualify and just give it to them, they are insulted. If you don't ask and don't give it to them, they bitch about not getting the discount. Ya can't win!
                          No, you can't win. And you can't tell just by looking at them how old they are; I've seen 60-year-olds who look 40 and vice versa.

At my store, they have Senior Day two or three times a year. It is advertised in the flier what specific day it is and the customer needs to show ID to get the discount. But we all know that customers don't read properly. The minute the flier comes out, it's being shoved in our faces and we have to tell them, "it's only on this specific date, and you must show your ID". To which they answer, of course, "the ad is misleading / confusing / poorly worded / etc."

Then of course when the big day does arrive, NOBODY shows their ID, then they scream because they didn't get their discount!
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I once asked a woman who appeared to be hovering on the edge of the qualifying age, and she said "I can't believe you just asked me that! Oh God, I just want to just go lay down in the parking lot and let a truck run me over!" Really? Being offered a discount makes you suicidal? Maybe they shouldn't let you out in public alone, drama queen!
                            And then they start yelling at you for not giving them a discount for some other reason.
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I think I would pay to see that suicide....discount or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X