Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You're going the right way for a smacked bottom.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was always told that people in the Pacific Northwest didn't have accents. Of course, this is wrong. I remember when I looked this up before, there are a few specific things. Like "caught" and "cot" I guess they are supposed to sound different? But when I say them they are exactly the same. I also have been noticing being saying "bag" so that it sounds like "beg." A relative of mine from Eastern Washington says "pin" when he means "pen."

I know in the South it's normal to use endearments like sweetie and hon, and if I was in the South I would be cool with it. Or even if the person was from there. But here, if someone calls me sweetie, I don't like it. Not sure why, it just weirds me out.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Aw now Cher, bless ya heart. Lol

I'll give you the BBQ thing...for now, but I'mma guarantee ya anit never had REAL cajun food tasting better than down here.

And yes, I've heard, "Well...that's not how we do it up north..." fifty million times and I'm sick of it. Well guess what!! ITS HOW ITS DONE DOWN HUR, SWEETHEART. SUCK IT.

Now....I like a well mannered yank but my gawd, ya'll gotta speak to de rest of dem.

**Southern accent emphased for entertainment purposes.
      No ma'am. I'm sorry, I cannot control the temperature. We're in hell, that's why.

Comment

Southern literacy test:
        M R DUCKS
        R NOT
        S A R
        L I B
        M R DUCKS

Comment

As a kid I used to get confused between South America and the Deep South. I couldn't work out why something called 'the deep south' was much further north than Brazil or Argentina...

But then I live in the UK where even our 'southerners' live further north than Niagara Falls.

Comment

Quoth Crucible1 View Post
            If you have a southern accent, it means you are from where the food actually tastes good...
            Quoth EricKei View Post
            There's just one phrase you need to know when dealing with someone like that: "Well, bless your heart"
            Amen, Ya'll.

As my Grandma would have said "Brother Ben shot a rooster and kilt a hen."
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
              ... a rooster and kilt a hen."
              A tartan a cock.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth roxtar View Post
                Southern literacy test:
                M R DUCKS
                R NOT
                S A R
                L I B
                M R DUCKS
                Those aquatic fowl appear to be Anas platyrhynchos.
                I refute your assertion.
                I vehemently repeat my original hypothesis, sans noun.
                The steadfastness of your conviction has illuminated me.
                Those are, indeed, ducks.

Comment

This is pretty much the only guy I know that says "Well bless your heart." >.>

...I should make a point of saying it.
                  Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Being from NOLA, We get a menagerie of accents from Southern twang, to NOLA Yats (think Jersey), to Deep Cajun. You know you are in the Deep South when you hear us saying things like:

It's Monday, time for some beans and rice
                    I'm gonna go make some groceries
                    I wants me some skrimps (it is not misspelled either)
                    I be out on da skreet

The Favorite in New Orleans is "Where y'at, Dawlin?". Hence the name Yats...lol

And everyone says baby, cher, beau, or the infamous y'all

Quoth Jarlaxle
                    Sorry...best BBQ I ever had was in Brentwood, New Hampshire!
                    Well, BBQ is good all over the US honestly, but you can't beat ol' Texas for BBQ.

I will give Northerners (USA) they do try hard, and some almost get it right...LOL
                    Last edited by Crucible1; 10-08-2014, 12:32 AM.
                    And unto the I offer the 11th commandment of god, that whomsover calleth "Shotgun" shall heretofore and forever lay claim to that seat......until you have to pee!!-your friendly neighborhood Crucible

Comment

Quoth Plankton78 View Post
                      Yes. I'm from the South. Yes. I have an accent. No. It's not nice to make fun of it or mock me, you dumb Yank.
                      Hmph. They should talk. Joisey speak is damn near incomprehensible.

I have no idea why corporate is making us put out Christmas..... No we are not devil worshipers..... No you cannot help me find Jesus.
                      You sure you weren't talking to a Southerner there?

I'm so sick of crazy tourists!!!
                      Tourons.

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      There's just one phrase you need to know when dealing with someone like that: "Well, bless your heart"
                      Oh, I've used this!!! It's almost as good as See you next time.

If you have a southern accent, it means you are from where the food actually tastes good...
                      Damn skippy.

Quoth Seshat View Post
                      Don't you mean "Wahl bless yo' hear'." ?

(And it always amuses me to hear 'Southern' used to refer to anyplace north of the equator. I know it's just a directional reference, and you'd probably find FNQ - Far North Queensland - just as amusing ....)

Seshat (uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ)
                      I'd love to know how you did the upside down writing.

In the US, everything south of the Mason Dixon Line (border between MD/PA and DE/PA) and east of Texas is the traditional Old South. In colonial times onward, the culture between the North and South were very different.

Quoth Jarlaxle View Post
                      Sorry...best BBQ I ever had was in Brentwood, New Hampshire!
                      I'm sure the makers had to be from the south. There is no such thing as good BBQ in the North, so this must be an urban legend.

Although . . . the best BBQ I ever had was in Korea. But it WAS South Korea, y'all.

Quoth raudf View Post
                      *chortles* I have been known to use, "Bless your ever loving heart," for the rock-chewingly stupid ones!

One thing I haven't been able to figure out is if Arkansas is considered part of the "South" or what... because I don't think Arkansas knows for sure any more. During the Civil War, it was as South as Georgia, but now? Bah. We've gotten too many Yanks flying south and unfortunately staying (Don't mind me, I'd rather be closer to the Arctic Circle, myself.)
                      Technically, Arkansas is still in the South. Whether or not its residents can be considered Southerners depends on where they were born. If you were not born in a Southern state, you are not a Southerner, no matter how long you've lived there.

Quoth retro View Post
                      As a kid I used to get confused between South America and the Deep South. I couldn't work out why something called 'the deep south' was much further north than Brazil or Argentina...
                      Deep South is far from the Mason Dixon line. You're talking Georgia, South Carolina, Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana.

The Upper South is Virginia, North Carolina, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, and (this may surprise some) Maryland. Maryland is complicated; it was considered a Southern state up until the time of the Civil War, but it remained in the Union (by force). Although two famous Confederate units were from Maryland, the state was actually fractured regionally in terms of culture and attitude: western Maryland and the Baltimore area had more in common with Pennsylvania while Southern Maryland and the Eastern Shore had more in common with Virginia. Because of this, some Southerners don't consider Maryland part of the South anymore (I think of myself as a Southerner as I am from Southern Maryland where the culture is still very similar to that of rural Virginia, but that isn't universally accepted by my Southern friends ).

Well, BBQ is good all over the US honestly, but you can't beat ol' Texas for BBQ.
                      Meh. I've had Texas BBQ. North Carolina BBQ is better.
                      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
                        They probably moved there from the South.
                        He married a Texan, but the owner was born & raised in New Hampshire.

Comment

Quoth roxtar View Post
                          Southern literacy test:
                          M R DUCKS
                          R NOT
                          S A R
                          L I B
                          M R DUCKS
                          Allow me to provide a translation for those not conversant in Hick Southern. (Spoilered for those who wish to remain blissfully ignorant.)

M R DUCKS = "Them are ducks"
                          R NOT = "Are not."
                          S A R = "Yes they are."
                          L I B = "Well I'll be!"
                          M R DUCKS = "Them are ducks."
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Regarding BBQ, the best BBQ is usually the BBQ that is on my plate in front of me. Because no matter how good any other BBQ is, if I'm not eating it, it doesn't count.
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

My family lived in NC when I was still in school for a few years. A week or so after we moved there my mom went to register me for school. She came home laughing so hard, she was crying. She had a 15 minute conversation that should have taken all of 2 minutes because my mom couldn't understand the secretary when she kept asking my mom for our, as my mom kept hearing, melon address. She was also a little scared to send me to that school.

Comment

Yes. I'm from the South. Yes. I have an accent.
                                I thought y'all drove full-size domestic pickup trucks, not subcompact Korean cars.
                                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                                X