This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domestic Abuse

It’s not unusual, in my job, to see parents come in with a broken computer in their arms and a child in tow. It’s NOT a general rule that the kid has done something to damage the computer, but it does happen. Even if the kid hasn’t broken the computer, even if the computer’s not broken and is only in for a check-up or upgrade, Kids tend to be rather cheeky which usually ends up in them getting a clip around the ear, but I have NEVER had this before;

Me
    Kid (about 8)
    Dad
    SG : Security Guard

Dad: Hiya mate. We’ve got a problem with our computer. It’s not in its warranty though. What’s your diagnostic charge?
    Me: thirty pounds. What’s the trouble?
    Dad: Won’t read CDs. The damn drive won’t even open
    Me: does the drive flash went you turn the computer on?
    Dad: Oh, yeah. It seems to power up, it just won’t eject and there’s a CD stuck in there. It’s only a CD I made myself so I’m not worried about it
    Me: That okay, I can’t guarantee we can get the disc out in one piece anyway (I could pretty much guarantee it, but not absolutely, so I have to cover my own back) I need to charge you the diagnostic upfront though, then I’ll go and check the machine out
    Dad: That’s fine *Gets credit card out and puts it in the Chip n’ Pin machine*
    Me: *Scans a barcode and presses a few buttons on the screen* Okay, could you type your pin and press enter for me please?
    Dad: *does as instructed*
    Me: Ok, great. You can take your card out now *Grabs the receipt as it prints and hands it over* Keep that handy. You’ll need it in a second. If I find a fault and you want me to fix it, we refund the diagnostic and just charge for the repair plus parts. Realistically, it’s most likely gonna be a new DVD writer
    Dad: Yeah, I’d have thought so.

So I take the computer into the back, pull the cover off, pull the drive out, but leave it connected. I powered the machine up and sure enough, the drive did not want to open. New drive. I grabbed a screwdriver, turned the machine off, disconnected ther drive and started to take it apart to try to get the guys CD out. I pulled the lid off and was not surprised at what I found. A pop-tart. The spindle had come up to read the CD, got skewed the pop tart and just got stuck there. When the drive was told to open, the spindle was still up so it was just ignoring the commands from the open button. I got the CD out and, holding it carefully, went out and told him what I had found

Me: Yeah, it’s a new drive. But I found somthign in there *shows him*
    Dad: Whats that?
    Me: Pop-tart.
    Dad: WHAT?! *Stares daggers at his kid*

I gotta say, at this point I felt real sorry for the kid, but I was in no way prepared for what happened next

Kid: I was eating one around the computer and- *He gets cut off my his dad clouting him around the head so hard I felt it

The kids dad then just launched himself at his son. He was hitting him really hard. I could hear the ‘Thud-thud-thud’ as his fists made contact. I just acted on a reflex. I jumped over the desk and started trying to pull him off the kid, who was in a ball on the floor.

SG: (On Tannoy) Staff announcement; Call one. Tech. thank you

("Call one" is our distress call. if you hear it over the tannoy, you drop what you are doing and you spirint over to wherever called. One guy once said 'Beat shit out of first, ask questions later' Not exactly correct but it's a good way of putting it)

Our security guard came sprinting over, as did several members of staff and a few customers. Collectively we pulled this guy and his screaming kid apart.

One customer, who was a rather large gentleman Pinned the dad down to the floor until myself and a female co-worker took the kid out of there. I picked him up over my shoulder and walked over to the staff kitchen with him.

Ofcourse, the police were called. I asked the kid if his mum was at home and if he knew the phone number. He did and she was. We kept him in the kitchen with a glass of pop, some sweets and, when he had dried his tears and stopped shaking enough to use it, some games on my laptop.

The police took statements of everyone there and arrested the dad for assault of a minor. Why they didn’t arrest him for domestic assult I do not know.

I don’t want that kid to grow up without a Dad, but I’d say it’d be a good thing if he grew up without that particular dad.

The mum was great though. She was cool, calm, collected. She signed for the work on the computer and paied for the drive to be replaced, but more importantly she was SO tender with her son. Once her son was put into the car with someone else (an aunty, I think) she came back in and thanked us all. It would appear it was as much of a shock to her as it was to the rest of us. I’m no family councillor, but I’d say this was a first time.

Eventually when I got back into tech;

Ade: What the fuck was all that bollocks about, Flea?
    Me: this computer *Points* the kid put a pop-tart in the CD drive...
    Ade: As you do
    Me: ...when his dad found out, he just went ballistic. Beat the shit out of his kid
    Ade: Nice, Quality parenting there. Fuckwitt should bastard-well rot in prison. The kid ok?
    Me: Would you be okay if a person 4 times your size launched themselves at you? Physically, he’s a bit battered, but Okay. I think it’s the mental damage that’s gonna take it’s toal

I should point out that Ade has recently become a dad. His son is 6 months old
    -The one, The Only, AdvancedFlea-

Stick that in your blog and smoke it.

A guide for customers about retail

What a jerk! I'm glad he got hauled off by the police, he definitely deserved it. I'm sorry you had to see something so disgusting though, it couldn't have been easy to witness that ugly scene.

Comment

Wow now that's real constructive parenting. Kids do that kind of stuff. When I was young, I jammed something into a VCR and broke it. Yeah my dad was upset, but he didn't kick my ass over it.

I'm all for tough love but that is too much.
      "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I would have tossed a crate of pop tarts at that SOB for what he did to his kid.

Comment

In a way, it's fortunate that it was done in public. If that sort of thing had happened in the privacy of his own home, probably nothing would have come of it. At least in public, there's no way the guy will get off scott-free (well - at the very least a conviction would be recorded... Crazy??)

Of course, that does mean that it would probably be on camera, and a few witnesses, so you couldn't give the guy a good beating in return...
          When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

Quoth AdvancedFlea View Post
            Why they didn’t arrest him for domestic assult I do not know.
            Because there is no such thing.

When it gets to court (and with the number of statements it probably will) the fact that it's domestic related will be an aggrevating factor against him.

However.

If there are no injuries (other than slight bruising/reddening) then the offence will be common assault (as opposed to ABH/GBH) which means that if the dad has no prior convictions there will be the option of him receiving a police caution if he admits it in interview.

It sucks (big time) but them there are the guidlines
            A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth kibbles View Post
              What a jerk! I'm glad he got hauled off by the police, he definitely deserved it. I'm sorry you had to see something so disgusting though, it couldn't have been easy to witness that ugly scene.
              I dunno, really. I tend not to think about it like that. I saw what was happening, my body just kind of did the rest on it's own. I felt really bad for the kid afterwards though

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
              Wow now that's real constructive parenting. Kids do that kind of stuff. When I was young, I jammed something into a VCR and broke it. Yeah my dad was upset, but he didn't kick my ass over it.

I'm all for tough love but that is too much.
              trouble is, some parents don't know where the lines are. There's tough love, and then there's beating your son to a pulp. I did stupid stuff as a kid and I got a thick ear for it (if I was caught) but what that guy did was just un imaginable.

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
              I would have tossed a crate of pop tarts at that SOB for what he did to his kid.
              ...yeah, didn't have one to hand, unfortuneatly

Quoth Slytovhand View Post
              In a way, it's fortunate that it was done in public. If that sort of thing had happened in the privacy of his own home, probably nothing would have come of it.
              well, I like to think the teachers at the kids school would have noticed somthing. teachers are pretty perceptive when it comes to their students. they know when somthing is not right.

Quoth crazylegs View Post
              Because there is no such thing.

When it gets to court (and with the number of statements it probably will) the fact that it's domestic related will be an aggrevating factor against him.
              I know. Our justice system pisses me off sometimes.

Comment

I think the way you reacted was awesome!

Comment

OHHH MY GOD

Im appalled.....im a father of 2 myself (2 baby/toddlers) Yes they break stuff by doing silly things

Yes i have felt like screaming at them at times when they do it....But its going to happen...move teh expensive and delicate stuff up beyond their reach and hope there is something left when they have finished playing

Beating the crud out of them isnt an option!!!!!
                  We are the willing, led by the unknowing, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful, we have now done so much, for so long - for so many, with so little, we can now do anything with nothing!!!

Comment

Quoth kibbles View Post
                    I think the way you reacted was awesome!
                    honestly, it was just a relfex. I'm sure anyone on this forum would have reacted the same way in simalar situations. You have a split second to act before bones get broken, and I knew that.

Quoth Rebel1012 View Post
                    OHHH MY GOD

move teh expensive and delicate stuff up beyond their reach and hope there is something left when they have finished playing
                    yeah, my parents learned that one after I was born, apparently XD. I will never forget this once, we used to have a top-loading video machine. it broke down. the guy from Box Clever came out to fix it and as I walked through the room he said "Oh, you have a child" mum said "Yup" so first thing he does is turns the machine upside down and out falls this wave of crap which I had shoved in there over the years

Comment

I'm really hoping that when the cops brought him to jail there were others in the jail as well and they (the cops) casually, and very loudly made mention of what this man did so the others could hear then tossed him in a cell and turned their backs.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                        I'm really hoping that when the cops brought him to jail there were others in the jail as well and they (the cops) casually, and very loudly made mention of what this man did so the others could hear then tossed him in a cell and turned their backs.
                        nah. over here, when you are arresseted, or certainly in the area I live in, there are never any shared cells in a police station.

...Been arested before now ^^;

Comment

Quoth AdvancedFlea View Post
                          nah. over here, when you are arresseted, or certainly in the area I live in, there are never any shared cells in a police station.

...Been arested before now ^^;
                          Indeed that is still the practice, the only time there may be contact between prisoners is while they are awaiting booking in but there will always be a goodly amount of officers hanging around preventing trouble.

But, as AdvancedFlea points out, once you're booked in into your single cell you go. See here for an example http://www.strathclyde.police.uk/ind...D=812&docID=-1
                          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

A friend of the family we call Aunty S, her oldest child C has always been a bit on the mischievous side. When C was younger, he put in a slice of bologna in the CD player. His parents were upset, but they didn't pummel the tar out of him like that poor kid's dad did. Kids do stuff like that by accident or out of curiosity (for the little ones). I'm glad that man got arrested for what he did to that poor little boy,and I hope the kid is okay.
                            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

What scares me about this is the kid probably is not the only victim of Dad's
                              temper. Wanna bet his wife has been knocked around a bit? Flea mentioned
                              that Mom was 'calm and collected' - I don't know many mothers that would be
                              'calm and collected' after learning someone had beaten the tar out of their kid,
                              ESPECIALLY if the assailant was her own husband.

Unless, of course, they've been through this a few times too many, and it's
                              become a ritual.

Flea, I have nothing but respect for ya. You handled that very professionally -
                              I doubt my own response in such a situation would have been half as civil. Well
                              done!

I sincerely hope they ship the f*ckwit off for a long, long stay in a very unpleasant
                              place.

Comment

Working...
                              X