This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dogs are not accessories

Had a woman come up to me at work today loudly asking about if a wallet had been turned in, and I told her I didn't know, but if it had, it'd be at the customer service desk. As she turned away to go there (with no "Thank you", of course), I finally noticed she was carrying a little white dog under her arm (not very good with breeds, but one of those "Fancy Feast"-looking pooches that spoiled celebrities are always toting around). A few moments later, she walked by me with said wallet in her hands, rooting around in it and loudly grousing to no one in particular about making sure that no money had been removed. I later went through the self-check line after my shift, to find a fellow employee cleaning one of the registers and complaining about the woman just plonking her dog right there on the conveyor belt...you know, the place where people's FOOD usually goes?

God's sake, people, LEAVE YOUR DOGS AT HOME. Unless you're taking them to the vet or for walkies in the park, there's no reason a dog should accompany you everywhere you go. And while it's nice she didn't leave the poor pooch locked in her car (it wasn't an especially hot or humid day, but still), that doesn't give you the right to bring your dirty animal into a place that sells food for human consumption. We make exceptions for well-behaved service animals, of course (there's this one lady who comes in all the time with a lovely yellow lab who's in training for a life in the service dog industry), but few things make me as annoyed as people who feel the need to have Man's Best Friend at their side at all freaking times.

Have to say I agree with you, although we've never had anybody plunk a dog down on one of our counters (kids, yes; dogs, no). Mom often took her dog (definitely NOT a lapdog, although the dog occasionally thought differently ) but Kaila was well trained and was not taken into places where pets don't normally go (shops, restaurants, etc.)

That's the nice thing about cats ... they don't WANT to go anywhere (at least, none of mine ever have).
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I have had dogs in the past (1 at a time). I loved each and every one of them. I took pains and spent real money to be sure that they were comfortable and happy while I was gone.

While they all loved to go for a ride, I never considered taking one into a store or restaurant. I would walk them through the PetBox stores so they could pick out a treat, but that was it. Every dog I have had has been very well mannered, btw.

Now that we only have cats, I wouldn't consider taking one for a drive just for fun. I don't want to die painfully while I'm asleep.

I've also never seen a dog plunked down on a counter/belt, but I've seen plenty of diaper wearing kids plunked down. Grosses me out every time.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post

Now that we only have cats, I wouldn't consider taking one for a drive just for fun. I don't want to die painfully while I'm asleep.

I've also never seen a dog plunked down on a counter/belt, but I've seen plenty of diaper wearing kids plunked down. Grosses me out every time.
        Yep, the Revenge of the Enraged Kitty ... Had a friend who decided to take a drive with the cat loose in his car. Cat panicked and jammed its head ... under the brake pedal. Thank Bastet friend didn't have to slam on the brakes. I do not ever put my cats in the car loose; they go into travel cages. Which, of course, they hate.

Only good thing about the store where I work and kids on the counter is that the edibles do not themselves ever touch the counter. Any that do are disposed of. Still ... seriously, people, why are you doing this??
        Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
        X