This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My experience with the job counselor who was assigned to me

I am venting about my experience with the job counselor who was assigned to me through a state agency I went to to get help regarding my getting employment.

I got a call from her this past Friday around 4:30 p.m. for an interview at HEB. She asked me to meet her there around 8 a.m. She gave me the address of that specific HEB since she knows that I depend on the bus for transportation. I was able to get to that location by bus.

She was running late. She arrived around 8:45 a.m. She told me that the interview was not until 9 a.m. She then told me that 1) it is a group interview, 2) I have to stand out among the other candidates, and 3) I will have to sell an item.

She told me that I had to appear bubbly and cheerful when introducing myself and to say "I would love working at HEB".

So here is what happened at the group interview...

When we walked into the room, each of us had to choose an item from a table near the front of the room.

There were 7 of us being interviewed along with 2 HEB employees. One of the employees was the Service Desk Manager. There was a list of questions at each chair that we had to answer. Everyone got the same list of questions. So we had to stand up one by one, introduce ourselves, and answer the questions. Then we were divided into groups to sell the item each of us chose. We had to sell the items as part of a buy one get 2 free sales promotion.

Then came the questions from the Service Desk Manager.

For our group, the guy next to me chose sugar free cough drops, I chose HEB mac and cheese, and the girl next to me chose strawberry pudding.

I told the Service Desk Manager the reason why I chose the HEB mac and cheese was because when I am sick, I want comfort food. I also referred to the cough drops and the strawberry pudding. I also mentioned that you could add Velveeta cheese to the mac and cheese to make it cheesier. The Service Desk Manager then asked me "what if I took your advice regarding adding the Velveeta cheese to the mac and cheese, but when I ate it, I did not like it. Can I return it and get a refund?" The guy next to me said "I would say no." So she asked him "why?" He said because the box was already opened, and you made the mac and cheese. She also asked the girl with the strawberry pudding the same question. Her answer was the same.

She asked the same question to the other groups. She got the same answer.

Then we were given another question to answer. Mine was You clocked out for your break. While on your break, you are doing some shopping, and you are approached by a customer needing help. What would you do? My answer was that I do not shop during my break. I shop before I clock in. I would help the customer before clocking out for lunch. I would also not shop during my break because that takes time out of my break, and I have less time to eat my food.

At the end of the group interview she told us that HEB has a satisfaction guarantee return policy. So you can return an empty product box and get a refund as long as you have your receipt.

She told everyone after that "We will make a decision in 24 hours. We will let you know if we want you to come back for a second interview. If that does not happen, then I suggest that you continue your job search."

I did not come prepared for that interview. 15 minutes before the interview is not enough preparation time for me. I felt rushed, and when that happens, I do not do my best. Not even close. I need at least one days notice.

I'd say that you at least did better than your tablemates ^_^ Did you get the opportunity to answer the "returns" question? I like your response regarding helping people while on break, too!
    Last edited by EricKei; 04-26-2016, 12:55 PM.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Add Velveta, nice upsell. I like your answers. I don't think that you did as bad as you think you did.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        I'd say that you at least did better than your table-mates ^_^ Did you get the opportunity to answer the "returns" question. I like your response regarding helping people while on break, too!
        I did not get the job.

What I wanted to say regarding the "returns question" was "I do not know HEB's return policy, and so I cannot answer that question." I thought it was a crazy question to ask for that reason, and my attitude would have shown, and so I skipped it.

I have another job interview today.

Quoth csquared View Post
        Add Velveta, nice upsell. I like your answers. I don't think that you did as bad as you think you did.
        Did not get the job.

I had a group interview years ago. I did not like it back then. I still do not like it now.

The Service Manager stated that she is big on customer service before giving us the question each of us had to answer. Yes, I understand that it is important to help the customer, but I do not work off the clock.

When she said that HEB has a satisfaction guarantee return policy and that you can return an empty box as long as you have your receipt, I wanted to say "This is an easy way for customers to lie to get their money back. Plus HEB is loosing money on this return policy. For an item that costs $1.50, I would not return it just because I did not like the taste of it since I would spend more money in gas round trip versus the refund I get. I would just not buy the item again." But my attitude would show, and so I skipped that one.

One guy sounded desperate for a job. I do not want to stoop to that level to get a job.
        Last edited by EricKei; 04-26-2016, 12:56 PM. Reason: Triple post merge

Comment

Quoth snugglegirl05 View Post
          I did not get the job.
          Awww. >_<
          Yes, I understand that it is important to help the customer, but I do not work off the clock.
          Nor should you ^_^ It's Federal law if yer in the US. The interviewer should have been clear with regards to paid vs unpaid breaks. In fact, that could have been the whole point -- seeing if you would give up a paid break to help a customer (which I'm thinking she would expect, but they really shouldn't) vs working through an unpaid break, which could open them up to a labor suit.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Sorry to hear it did not work out.

What I wanted to say regarding the "returns question" was "I do not know HEB's return policy, and so I cannot answer that question."
            I wonder if they were looking for someone to say "I would follow HEB policy." Or better still, "HEB has a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee." That would show that you know something about the company. Something to think about, if you are interviewing for e store, look up their return policy, customer satisfaction guarantee, etc. Make a positive comment on them. And of course, don't say "You have a 'steal from me' guarantee."

I had a group interview years ago. I did not like it back then. I still do not like it now.
            I have never participated in one. Never liked the idea. Interviews are tough enough. It does not need to be a public show.
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I'm sorry, I'm still stuck on strawberry pudding.

My apologies.

Back on topic...

I'm actually glad you didn't get the job, because that sounds like the kind of soul killing (as opposed to merely crushing) that no one deserves.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I could use some good advice.

I got a job today at Kroger through my employment counselor. The pay rate is less than $8.00, and it is part-time. I still need to find a full-time job so my husband and I can pay all of our bills. So how should I go about this without my employment counselor nor Kroger finding out? What should I do about putting down my current employment?

Comment

So how should I go about this without my employment counselor nor Kroger finding out? What should I do about putting down my current employment?
                  Why do you need to avoid the counsellor finding out? Surely they should know that you want full-time work, and this is just a temporary solution, that gets you recent experience and makes you more marketable?
                  Krogers, well, if they are not offering you enough hours, what's it to do with them? You're not asking them to provide a reference (yet).
                  Are they likely to find out?
                  (I'm assuming Krogers ain't paying you under the table).
                  I'd put down your current employment, but explain in a covering letter that you are looking for full-time hours/permanent position.
                  Alternative is to take a community college course - whilst I was long-term unemployed my 'current employment' was "undertaking computer skills courses at *local* college."
                  Good Luck.
                  *edit: due to local Council's non-sensible interpretation of the benefit rules, I got _more_ benefits whilst working part-time than when I was not working.*
                  Last edited by scruff; 04-26-2016, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Is there a chance of the Krogers job becoming full time later? Depending on how your state works, you should be able to at least get partial unemployment if you have any benefits left. In the meantime, there is nothing wrong with continuing to look for something better.
                    Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Something I noticed after the interview yesterday.

When I received the call on Monday regarding the interview, she told me that she would meet me at the Kroger location to go over my interview questions.

Every Tuesday I have to check in with my employment counselor regarding her helping me find a job. I can either text her, call her or e-mail her. So on my way to the interview yesterday I sent her a text. I depend on the bus for transportation, and so I did this while on the bus.

I get to Kroger early, and I wait for her. She calls me to let me know that she is stuck in traffic on the freeway due to an accident. She goes over my interview questions over the phone, and she tells me to go inside the Kroger at 10:50 a.m. since my interview is at 11 a.m. So I do that.

While I am waiting outside the interview room, I send a text which was supposed to go to my husband, but went to her instead. I just let him know that I was waiting at Kroger for my job interview.

After the interview ended, I checked my cell phone. I noticed a text from my job counselor stating...

turn off your phone, no texting

Comment

I received a text from my job counselor today stating that my first day is this Thursday at 1:30 p.m. I will see how many hours a week I will be working.

Comment

I'm assuming you're in the US.

If you were laid off from your other job, and it was full time, you might qualify for partial unemployment.

Regarding your current situation: When I needed to, I looked for jobs and went on interviews on my days off. I did that just last summer when I was looking for a different job. The prospective employer did want references, but past employers and past co-workers were okay. (Actually, in my field, you take a test.) You can carefully ask around to see what the attitude is at Krogers about having a second job. Every company is different. They may not want you working for a competitor, for instance, another grocery store. But maybe a bookstore would be okay.

Comment

I got my work schedule today.

I will be working 33 hours next week.

Comment

I will be working 33 hours next week.

That's awesome!
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X