X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well ... that settles THAT

UPDATE

------------------Original Post -----------------
    We were told there was a meeting tonight after hours.

Long and short of it ... the store will be closing. Right around Labour Day, ironically enough.

They are more than willing to help us relocate if we wish to do so. Although for some reason, when I asked if they could relocate me to Saskatoon, everybody laughed for like five minutes straight ... what?! I was serious!!

I am eligible for four weeks' severance, which is nice enough. I'm sorry to see it happen, but OTOH my future is becoming increasingly clear as my options in my hometown (alas) become fewer and fewer.

Go West, almost-retirement-aged Crazy Cat Lady!

---------------------------------------------

Updated details: ALL of the stores in the chain, in the U.S. and Canada, will be closing. Our district manager confirmed that all Canadian sites will be closed by the end of September.

Well, if misery loves company ...

Also, there's gonna be a ton of competition for the coffee side of the business.
    Last edited by Pixelated; 07-28-2017, 01:25 AM.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

I'd contact them again and ask seriously about the relocation.

Comment

I would, morgana, but unfortunately there is no "my tea shop" in Saskatoon. I'd have to transfer to "coffee side of the business" instead, and that definitely would not work. I've had enough fun (not) trying to keep straight the comparatively few drinks recipes "my tea store" uses -- trying to wrap my head around the far more numerous (and complex) drinks "coffee side" does would drive me to drink ... and not tea or coffee. In addition, some of the people who come to "my tea store" for drinks do some customizing, but it's not a big deal. The customizing that goes on at "coffee side" would be the death of me ... or a customer. Anybody coming up to me and ordering a half caff, ristretto, venti, 4-pump, sugar free, cinnamon, dolce soy skinny latte would likely end up wearing it.
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

4 weeks severance is decent. If you want to move you should do it. I hope you find a good job. Those who order some of those crazy drinks should be embarrassed.

Comment

Shyla, that was my first thought as well ... but I want a bit more info on the severance pay. Their estimation of the amount of severance I get (4 weeks) is apparently based in my average number of hours worked per week (8). So will the dollar figure on my severance cheque be:

4 weeks x 35 hours x [hourly wage]

OR will it be based on

4 weeks x 8 hours per week (average number of hours worked per week) x [hourly wage]

If it's the latter, then the severance pay is definitely not worth it.

We also have an option to request a transfer to the coffee side of the business, but that cancels out the severance pay ... and my question here is, does it cancel out the severance even if we don't get hired by the coffee side of the business?

I've emailed the district manager with both questions. We have a week to fill out the form and hand it in, so we'll see what happens.
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Well, that confirms where you work, if I'd had any doubts... and damn! I was just getting back into tea and those shops close. I guess I do have other options but I was really getting into those blooming teas...

Comment

From your comment, I assume there's a store near you, Aria ... you will find some great sales going on for the remainder of the store's days, and the sales will get even better as the closing date gets nearer (of course, there's no guarantee supplies will hold out until the very end ....) It's a good time to stock up.
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

1) I'm told my severance pay will be based on my average number of hours per week ... so that's EIGHT HOURS PER WEEK for four weeks (manager was horrified: "WHAT?! I've given you LOTS more hours than that!!" Yeah, I know, but they are going by the average only. *sigh*) So that, IMO, makes my severance pay not worth it -- not when the flip side of that is a REALLY bad employment situation in My Hometown. I'm going for a transfer to the coffee side of the business. If I'm lucky I'll get in at the one nearest my house, where I myself often go for coffee.

2) Customer came in yesterday and (among other things) was looking at the Gadget Bundle. "Oh, those would make a great Christmas gift! You'll still have them at Christmas, right?"

Me:"Ummm ... may I make a suggestion? I suggest you buy them within the next month."

Customer: "Oh, no problem, I like to buy gifts ahead of time!"

No idea why I didn't just say "Ma'am, we're closing, so WE won't be here at Christmas, never mind the Gadget Bundles." It's been in the freakin' news; it's not like it's a big secret.
                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I *just* figured out which company you work for, and it probably took me so long due to there not being any of the tea stores in my area, only the coffee ones. We've got a David's Teas so that may be why we don't have any of your stores here, but I could be wrong...we're a little behind the times in so many ways. Are they planning on keeping the mail order side of the business going? That's about the only thing I couldn't find anything about online.

Comment

Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
                    *snip*
                    Are they planning on keeping the mail order side of the business going? That's about the only thing I couldn't find anything about online.
                    KuariKaydrith, I have no idea. We've had a couple of customers ask us about that, but at this point management hasn't said yes or no to that.
                    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
                    X