This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The saga of shutting down ...

Some time ago our store refrigerator broke. Repeatedly. Despite repeated efforts to fix it. Management (understandably) finally threw up their hands, said, "F*ck it" and we announced we could no longer make lattes or any drink requiring dairy (or soy milk).

Then a few days ago our ice machine gave up the ghost. So now we can't make iced drinks. Which means we can't make anymore samples either, as our samples at this time of year are iced. Given that we close in less than two weeks, I kinda doubt management will fix this either.

Anybody for a hot tea? In the middle of August?

Tonight was a SLOOOOOW night. People did come in and buy stuff, but a lot of people are looking for additional deals, which won't come up until next week ... or maybe, at the earliest, Friday.

One woman came looking for Extremely Expensive Gadget (normal price: around $300-$350). They NEVER go on sale. When we started our going-out-of-business sales, they went on sale -- 50% off. Needless to say, our small stock of them vanished with a speed that would have impressed Houdini. Sorry, lady, you are like a week and half too late. Try online.

On the bright side, we had all the dishes washed by around 7 p.m. The Fetcos were also cleaned early, once they ran out of iced tea.

Coworker and I spent a large part of the evening discussing current events.

Tell you one thing: I haven't seen the back storage room look so neat (and empty) in the five years I've worked there.

Oh, and for those who want to transfer to The Mother Ship, it's apparently a done deal. We should be starting at our respective locations the week after the day when we close our doors to the public for the final time (Aug. 27). I sure hope somebody calls me or sends me an email or at the very least a homing pigeon to let me know when my first shift there begins. Just so I don't get a call at some point saying, "Where are you? You were supposed to start here ten minutes ago ..."
    Last edited by Pixelated; 08-15-2017, 08:59 AM.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

It's always bittersweet closing down a location. Glad that you have a place to land, though!

Comment

This is the first time in all my decades of working that I've been at a place from its opening to its closing. It is a bit weird ...

Got a couple of stories but I'm going to hold onto them until the storefront is shuttered for the last time. One will go into Fratching for reasons which will be obvious to anybody who reads it.
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
      X