This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
    Not really! Cats can and will tear up furniture, curtains, rugs, toilet paper, and many other things with their claws.
    Yea, but it won't be due to seperation anxiety. It will be because that was what's on the cat's agenda for the day. (I actually have two cats and they don't seem to be into random destruction)
    Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
      Cats were domesticated to be thrown into a rat/mouse/rodent infested area and would only survive if they caught - and ate - said rodents they were supposed to get rid of and be pretty much left alone.
      incorrect-cats domesticated themselves, humans did not actively do anything to encourage it. Cats saw a potential constant food source from the vermin attracted by agriculture, and just kind of moved in, people were more tolerant of docile traits, so via natural selection the more docile cats flourished.
      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

My dad had an attack cat
        Yes, you read correctly.
        He has a mean Himalayan who attacked any stranger she could, with hisses and scratches. He had to keep her in the laundry room...and forgot to mention when a neighbor came over to do his laundry....

He ran out and left all of his stuff behind, and wouldn't go back so dad had to give him his clothes that he laundered as an apology.

I'm so glad that was before I was born.

As for dogs, my former stepmother's was a toy poodle, so...yeah. she barked. even when told not to. (until the guest came in)

and as for my mom's rough collie, she barks but I have only seen her truly aggressive once, when I was home alone and a coworker of mom's came by. She stood in front of me and growled and barked until he left.
        When we have delivery people, we open the door and tell them not to be afraid, cause after she comes out, she just wants to be pet or look at them. Never had a problem

Comment

I try to make sure my puppy is in the back yard whenever someone is coming over. Many people aren't too keen on being tackle-licked (especially by a 90 lb furball) upon entering my house. We're working on the jumping, but don't have many visitors, so she doesn't get too much practice. Still there are times when a delivery driver is earlier than expected, and I haven't put her out back yet.

It's really not that hard to train a dog to either stop barking on command or to not bark when someone is at the door
          Really? How!? I've been trying for the past 6 months, and must be doing something wrong.

Comment

I used to have a cat, and whenever my parents went out for the night and I came home to an empty house, she would hear the door unlocking and be there at the door to greet me.
            I also used to have a Doberman Pinscher, very beautiful and well behaved animal, especially at the vet. The vet could do his/her work, and she would not budge an inch. When the needle went in though, she would turn and look at me with sad eyes as if to say, "Why are you letting this strange person stab me with this pointy object?" Funny thing is, I decided I wanted a Doberman after watching episodes of "Road Rovers" on tv.
            Oh and btw while I was delivering tonight, I saw more of the same, people trying to control their dogs. But guess what? Someone actually had enough common sense to lock the dog up. I that person.
            Still I feel cats are better. I quote Sassy the Himalayan cat from Homeward Bound, "Cats rule and dogs drool."

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
              Yea, but it won't be due to seperation anxiety. It will be because that was what's on the cat's agenda for the day. (I actually have two cats and they don't seem to be into random destruction)
              We've only had our house destroyed by cats. The dog knows better. The cats didn't care.

Quoth Ellain View Post
              Really? How!? I've been trying for the past 6 months, and must be doing something wrong.
              With our own dog it was just a matter of patience. We would scold her when she would bark at people, but let her bark at noises (like car doors), so she only barks until we open the door and let her see the person or is convinced the person is gone. If you set up a good and reliable series of rewards and punishments, the dog should pick up on it eventually. Dogs are nothing if not eager to please.

Comment

It's really not that hard to train a dog to either stop barking on command or to not bark when someone is at the door, people are just too lazy to do it and think dogs magically learn how to do it on their own
                Most problems with dogs barking do boil down to lazy owners. However, depending on the breed (and age) of the dog, it can be a large task to train a dog to not bark. I have a couple of Great Pyrenees/German Shepherd mixes, and I have had to put a lot more time and effort into teaching them not to needlessly bark than say my brother with his Labrador Retrievers...and it is still an ongoing struggle at times.

Comment

hell yeah! XD! Cats rule and dogs literally drool.
                  I had a dog, a German Shepard for 10 years when I was a kid, and rest his soul, I loved him but he was sooooooooo hair pullingly frustrating sometimes!
                  I also didn't like shivering in the cold waiting for him to do his business, I guess dogs are for outdoorsy people and cats are for indoors. I'm definitely an indoor type.
                  Plus they are so noisy, though my cat can be noisy too, she follows me everywhere, meowing her little head off for no reason. I don't like it when people say cats are cold and unfriendly. Maybe when they're older, yeah, but they are quite friendly when young. And at least they don't eat each other's poop. I saw that at this place I was dogsitting, and nearly lost my eyes from all the washing later. YUCCCCKKKKKKKK!
                  And I never heard of a cat mauling or killing a kid or a baby, so they're safe. Mostly.
                  Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                  The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

My beagle is all bark and no bite. Whenever she sees anyone pass by the house she growls and sometimes barks to where I simply close the blinds if she doesn't stop after x amount of times telling her to.

If someone comes to the door and rings the doorbell, the barking commences until she gets a chance to inspect the person and gets petted by the person. The only time I recall having to really pull her back was when it was Halloween and there was a toddler at the door who was scared of her.

I like cats and dogs myself, though I miss having a cat.

Comment

[QUOTE=And I never heard of a cat mauling or killing a kid or a baby, so they're safe. Mostly. [/QUOTE]

Even though I like cats better, I do feel a need to insert this little fact into this debate....I heard a story about a cat who killed a toddler by sleeping on his face and suffocating him

Comment

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
                        <SNIP>
                        See, one of the addresses in our delivery zone was home to a TIMBER WOLF. I shit thee not, my friends, and it was a MASSIVE animal. Now, as it turned out, it was 'only' three-quarters wolf and one-quarter Siberian husky - and actually very friendly and well behaved. But you don't know that when you see this beastie chargin' at you full bore.
                        <SNIP>
                        Mom's last (and absolutely favourite) dog was a mix of German shepherd and Arctic wolf. She was a gorgeous animal and extremely bright. Also, Mom was very, very good at training dogs.

I've heard the wolf crosses are now banned ... *sigh* ... same reasoning as behind the banning of pitbulls.
                        Last edited by iradney; 01-03-2013, 04:21 PM. Reason: Please don't quote the entire post, we've already read it

Comment

Ordering pizza -- I don't need to be called. If my dog is in the yard, I bring him inside on my own a few minutes after I place the order >_>
                          Quoth HotelMinion View Post
                          And I never heard of a cat mauling or killing a kid or a baby, so they're safe. Mostly.
                          People once believed that cats would sneak into babies' rooms and somehow suck the souls right out of them (possibly an explanation for SIDS??)

Quoth Caffienated_Caramel View Post
                          If someone comes to the door and rings the doorbell, the barking commences until she gets a chance to inspect the person and gets petted by the person.
                          One of my brother's dogs is like this, even with me. The other could care less, she just wants to be petted.
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
                            And at least they don't eat each other's poop. I saw that at this place I was dogsitting, and nearly lost my eyes from all the washing later.
                            I heard that Mummy dogs do that to their puppies poop for protection: predators won't realise that there are vulnerable puppies about cause there ain't no poop lying about. So actually it's loving and maternal. Just ask yourself this: does your mum love you enough to eat your poop if it meant saving your life? ... Of course this argument is slightly diminished when I remember that my dogs eat pretty much everything. Silly spaniels.

Comment

Quoth Ellain View Post
                              Patience and consistency. She's still at a good age as a puppy to train her properly.

Make a sound whenever she does anything you do not want her to do: barking, jumping up, whatever. I use a "shush" sound, sometimes I also snap my fingers. You have to correct the dog the instant they do the unwanted behavior, and you have to do it every time. If you correct too late, or inconsistently, you will only confuse the dog. That by itself should fix the problem.

Get a crate. It serves two purposes; crate training prevents accidents in the house while you are potty training the dog since dogs won't go in their personal spaces. You can also banish the dog to the crate when the dog is behaving in a way you don't like. Leave the door open most of the time (close it only when you leave the house) so the dog recognizes the crate as his "room" and a place of safe retreat when it is tired and wants to be left alone.
                              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                                Patience and consistency. She's still at a good age as a puppy to train her properly.

Make a sound whenever she does anything you do not want her to do: barking, jumping up, whatever. I use a "shush" sound, sometimes I also snap my fingers. You have to correct the dog the instant they do the unwanted behavior, and you have to do it every time. If you correct too late, or inconsistently, you will only confuse the dog. That by itself should fix the problem.

Get a crate. It serves two purposes; crate training prevents accidents in the house while you are potty training the dog since dogs won't go in their personal spaces. You can also banish the dog to the crate when the dog is behaving in a way you don't like. Leave the door open most of the time (close it only when you leave the house) so the dog recognizes the crate as his "room" and a place of safe retreat when it is tired and wants to be left alone.
                                This is all good advice. Caesar Milan, the Dog Whisperer, does the 'shush' and finger-snap thing to help train dogs.

Our previous dog, Dooney, knew that his crate was 'his room', but also knew what was going to happen when he was bad. If we got that angry tone at him, he'd slink into the crate and lay down. We haven't had as much success with Mocha yet. Dooney was a much more submissive dog, while Mocha has more 'alpha' tendencies.
                                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                                X