Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is why I added the note about her having done this before.

This whole thing would be a great sitcom character. The neighbor always in debt because of stuff they created.
    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

• I agree with Tama, this behavior is only temporary. Ghel is probably right that she's using the inheritance money to keep this sinking ship afloat just a bit longer - once it's gone she'll be right back to her old habits...

Comment

• Any update on the upcoming shipwreck?

Comment

• Not really. I expect this to take a long time, like a slow leak that eventually swamps the boat. She continues making her loan payments. She's occasionally overdrawn. She still hasn't paid her 2015 real estate taxes on the restaurant.

If anything interesting happens, I'll post an update.
          "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
          -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Thanks.

And the 2015 deadline is fast approaching, somehow I don't think Betty will be paying on time again this year...

Comment

• How long did it take her to pay those taxes from 3-4 years ago? lol

Doesn't surprise me a bit.
              My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

• IIRC, she is still paying on withheld income taxes.
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

• So, TGK, tell me how much trouble she can get in for that, you seem like the guy that would know.
                  My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

• Quoth Tama View Post
                    So, TGK, tell me how much trouble she can get in for that, you seem like the guy that would know.
                    Personally, based on Betty's behavior over the years I'm shocked the IRS hasn't swooped in by now!

Comment

• Betty is still making monthly payments to the IRS and the state Department of Revenue, although I'm not sure if that's for back taxes she still owes them, or if that's for withholding from employees' paychecks. It seems awfully high if it's the latter.
                      "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                      -Mira Furlan

Comment

• That would explain why they haven't moved in yet, as long as the turnip is yielding some blood let's not kill it until it stops yielding completely...

Comment

• Quoth Tama View Post
                          So, TGK, tell me how much trouble she can get in for that, you seem like the guy that would know.
                          All kinds of monetary penalties and interest, needless to say.
                          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

• Been a while since we heard anything about Betty. What's she currently up to? Still managing that juggling act?
                            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

• For the month of June, Betty's checking account was overdrawn. But she must have made enough during the "Patriotic Days" (as our town calls their Independence Day festival) to bring her account back in the black.
                              -Mira Furlan

Comment

• My understanding of the IRS is if an employer withholds the Tax’s and you have proof they did so then it is on them to forward those Taxes to the IRS. If they fail to do that it is not the Employees responsibility to recover the moneys, it is Tax fraud on the part of the employer and the IRS will nail them for it.

Look at it like this, you pay the casher for your food, you get a receipt and food. The Casher pockets the money, Manager comes out says where is the money. Are you responsible or is the casher? You have the food and a receipt, how are you still responsible?
                                I went through something similar to this at a place I worked.

Comment

Working...
                                X