This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules that SCs have decided are in force at the DMV

Lately, we have been crazy busy, so of course, the customers are suckier than normal. They also seem to have invented some rules that we must operate by.

(1) If the wait is long, all rules are waived. "Proof of insurance? But I have been waiting two hours!" "That clerk is telling me that we don't have all the identity documents we need, and we have been waiting for two hours!" And my favorite, "I can't afford that, and I have been waiting for (you guessed it) two hours!' And when the clerk pointed out that we had only been open for 60 seconds, the woman became irate. She had been standing at the door, in the cold, for two hours!

(2) If I say no to a customer for any reason, there better not be a foreigner within 100 yards of the office. If they think there is a foreigner nearby, then I am favoring foreigners over good honest Amurricans! Extra points if you have a baseball cap with any kind of US logo or sentiment on it that you can wave in my face.

As I explained to my region manager, if I were favoring foreign applicants, they would come in droves to my office from all over the state. And they are more work. The amount of paperwork required for a foreign applicant is nightmarish. I don't want to increase my workload any more than what it is.

(3) "But I neeeed it!", it being a license, or a title, or a registration. Your need means nothing to me. I neeed supporting documents, and my needs come first. And the more the person needs something, the more likely it is that they have known about this for 6 weeks, and only decided to do something about it 5 pm on a Friday.
    To seek it with thimbles, to seek it with care;
    To pursue it with forks and hope;
    To threaten its life with a railway share;
    To charm it with forks and hope!

Quoth Mondestrucken View Post
    She had been standing at the door, in the cold, for two hours!
    Wait you admit that. Since when do government agencies open early just because someone is waiting outside?
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

She waited for 2 hours outside in the cold? So how is that YOUR problem?

Comment

I'll admit, when I had to make multiple trips to the DMV to get my old car's title transferred from my parents to me, I was annoyed by it. I may have snapped a bit at the clerk over it, but I immediately apologized for it, "I'm not angry at you, I'm just frustrated," and then left to go take care of the stuff I needed to take care of to finish the transaction.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

The last time I went to the DOL (in our state it's not called the DMV but it's the same I think), I had to wait three times. Four, if you count the line I had to wait in just to get a number. Once I had the number I had to wait for the regular license part. Then I had to wait for the "enhanced" part, since I was getting an enhanced license and there is another step involved. Then I had to wait to get my picture taken.

During all that waiting, I didn't play on my phone much. I just listened in silent amazement to the people. In this location, at that particular time, the wait was 100% due to the customers. Boy, they couldn't get anything right. When my number gets called I leap up in happiness. These people had to be called multiple times, or even waved at or nudged by whoever was sitting near them. Then they never had the right paperwork, and they painfully slowly explained that they didn't have THAT paper, they had this other one, that's okay, right? NO. I know in some cases things can get confusing. But there was no reason these things needed to be holding up the rest of us. Call or look online before you come in and don't have even one thing right, and when the lady explains what you DO need, don't repeat that you have this other thing. I couldn't do that job.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth Mondestrucken View Post
            And when the clerk pointed out that we had only been open for 60 seconds, the woman became irate. She had been standing at the door, in the cold, for two hours!
            How is it your fault that she's too stupid to read the operating hours that are likely posted on or near the door? Any sensible person would've realized they were too early and gone off to get some breakfast or wait in their nice warm home until you opened.

When did willful stupidity become the norm, and how do we make it stop?
            Last edited by XCashier; 03-16-2016, 01:02 AM.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

People are dumb. The first time I went to get my non-driver ID renewed, I waited for about an hour in a line. Next to that line was another line for people doing something else, I think it was maybe for a different kind of ID, not sure. Some dipshit found out she was in the wrong line, looked at me and said "I should be in that line? Then I should be before her because I was here first!"

Yeah, NO. Not my fault you were too dumb to read the gigantic sign hanging from the ceiling telling you which line was what. And lo and behold, I actually had all the crap I needed to get my ID renewed. No arguments, no fussing.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                Reminds me of a few years ago. My brother and I drove to Best Buy to pick up New Super Mario Bros. Wii ASAP. We got there a little early so we parked and listened to music.

Being the joking asshole that he is, my brother opens his sun roof and lets the snow dump all over. I get out of the car to brush it off, brush off his car because I'm a good brother, then decide to go to the door to wait.

There was another person already there. He tried to strike up a conversation. "Don't you think it's ridiculous that they make us wait out in the cold?" I disagreed with him, "No one forced us to get here early."
                To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I don't have to get my license renewed for a few years yet, but I did have to get my cars registration renewed. They put the tags together recently so the process was new. I had to get my inspection done first. Found that out at the desk, after waiting. I just went, got inspected, got my form, drove back, got my tag and fixed the car up. Why do people make things harder on themselves???......Forgot where I was. O.o

Comment

Quoth Sunshine View Post
                    . Why do people make things harder on themselves???......Forgot where I was. O.o
                    Because they think they're supposed to?

Say you have Task A, which needs to be done every day. Say, also that this is a new task.

Task A is done with Procedure B. Procedure B has three steps.

You explain Task A, which is new, to Employee C. And you go through Procedure B, explaining that this is how you do Task A, laying out each of the three steps in painfully simple terms.

Most people will then put their amazing Head Meat to work, finding some way, ANY way, to make your twelve minute Task A into a two hour Odyssey of Pain.

They will then be bewildered, and more than a little hurt, that you are less than thrilled with the results.

After, good GAWD, can it really be over thirty years, people seem to think it's cheating, somehow, to do anything in a quick, simple, or, Nyarlothjotep forbid easy way.

Peoples are crayzee.
                    I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

Because I recently returned to Texas, I had to go through the DL and car registration hoops. Didn't have all the proper docs for the DL the first time; I blamed myself. I see now that I should have pitched a fit and put the blame on those who deserved it - the innocent employees of the DMV. Those bastards.
                      Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

People are stoopid! When my mom moved back to NJ, which has always had a notoriously bad DVW, but has gotten better, i told her, bring everything you think you might need, along with what you KNOW you need. this way, we won't have to go back. It did take a while but that was due to some computer issues on their part.

a month later i had to renew my license, i had all my proper documentation, and was in and out literally in 10 minutes from start to finish. Then again, i read, nad know what';s needed.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                          Because you have a dead-from-the-neck up psycho to deal with
                          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I have had to go to the DMV twice since November. The first time was to renew my license. I was probably in an out in under 30 minutes. The trick I found, for at least in CT. Friday after thanksgiving, right when the opened.

The second time I went it was a few hours wait, but being a responsible adult, I brought a book, although when I found out they had wi-fi, I just got my headphones out and watched Netflix, and kept a close eye on the numbers that were being called, and stopped my show a few numbers before hand.

I don't know why it surprises me how unprepared some of the human race can be. Before both trips I was able to use the website to see not only how much it was going to cost me but also what I would need to bring with me. It's all listed right on the website (At least for CT)

Comment

The last time I went to the MVD (Maryland), I think I freaked out the lady at the counter. I was waiting in line to change over the title of my sister's car to me. The conversation went like this:

"You need this information"
                              "I have it right here"
                              "and this ID"
                              "right there"
                              "but this needs to be..."
                              "filled out right here"
                              "and signed by the original..."
                              "signed right there"

All done and I was gone. I think she was a little freaked out at seeing something done correctly for once. My brother-in-law is a genius.

Comment

Working...
                              X