This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
    wearing socks strategically placed on their (hmmm how do I put this???) ahhhhhh elephant trunks????
    hmmm. I mighta gone with "Red Hot Chili Peppers with socks placed strategically on their red hot chili peppers."

And TruthHurts, my sympathies. At least it's just a week?

Comment

IIRC, the Chili Peppers mag covers came about because that's how they actually appeared on stage during at least some shows during that particular concert tour.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        IIRC, the Chili Peppers mag covers came about because that's how they actually appeared on stage during at least some shows during that particular concert tour.
        Indeed they did.
        "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

I actually just saw the cover tonight while I was running a register up front at my store. Had 2 people buy it and about a dozen yell at me that we shouldn't have it up there. An even greater number kept turning the magazine around... And then they would complain to me like I could do something about it...

Comment

Very reprehensible of the Enquirer. Yellow "journalism."
            Friends help you move. Rare friends help you move bodies.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
              I am NOT going to post a link to the cover, however if you Google "national enquirer cover feb 2012" you can find it easily.
              That's offensive?!?!?!? It's not anywhere near as offensive as the bloody, torn apart bodies from various mid-east locations that sometimes get spread across the front page of the Washington Post that I get to look at while eating breakfast. The next thing you know, those people will be censoring the word "belly"* in all of our books.

*In white text to avoid offending those of delicate natures. Smelling salts available upon request.
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Ok guys - lets get off the topic of censorship and what is and isn't offensive. Also, please stop offering opinions on what kind of shoddy so-called 'journalism' the NE offers.

The point of the thread is that the SC took it out on the OP for something beyond the OP's control.

Stick with that, please.

Thanks.
                Last edited by Peppergirl; 02-26-2012, 11:56 PM.
                "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth TruthHurts View Post
                  Dear National Enquirer,

Thank you so much for using a photo of a recently deceased pop star's body as a cover photo. I'll be sure to think of you every single time a customer screams at me to put them away. Keep being classy.
                  Yeah, because of course you are the one who took the photo, sold it to the Enquirer and made the store display the magazine.

If these folks are so "morally outraged", why the hell don't they take it up with the person who did it, instead of someone who just happens to be in the line of fire? That's not showing moral outrage, that's bullying someone who isn't allowed to fight back.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                    that's bullying someone who isn't allowed to fight back.
                    Sounds just like every bully I've ever met, from elementary school onwards >_>

I wish I could say that all bullies grow out of that sort of behavior, I really do...
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Eee gads. Saw that issue today whilst at Walmart.

That can't be real. I hope not, anyway.
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I wasn't offended at all. In fact, when I first saw the pic I laughed, not because of her death, but because I expected someone would do something like that.

It's a shame people felt the need to yell at you over the situation, Truth. And complaining to managers is silly and pointless. Stores are paid to have these magazines where they are.
                        Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

Looked for the issue at the swamp Monday; couldn't find it. I figure we sold out our allotment. Then again I don't believe we get very many copies of the National Enquirer at all.

Saw it while grocery shopping last night. I wasn't offended by the cover picture, but I can see how other people would be. Still, it isn't worth complaining about to somebody who can't do anything about it.
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                            Saw it while grocery shopping last night. I wasn't offended by the cover picture, but I can see how other people would be. Still, it isn't worth complaining about to somebody who can't do anything about it.
                            But you know that there's always somebody who just ain't happy unless they're complaining about something, no matter that it has NO effect on their life whatsoever, to somebody that can't do a thing about it.

Probably because we're all thinking how stupid (and bored) they are for complaining about such trivial stuff to begin with.
                            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Tomorrow the old Enquirer goes out and the new one comes in. I for one can't wait. Since my last post I had three other encounters with angry customers. I wasn't the only cashier screamed at either.
                              My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Comment

FWIW, there was a similar casket photo on the clover of this week's edition of the Globe, but taken farther away.

Nonetheless, it and the National Enquirer are being changed out tomorrow. I get the honor of checking in the newly-arriving magazines tomorrow. Seeing as how it will be the first magazine delivery of the month, it'll probably be a bigger job than it usually is.
                                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                                X