Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know what site I'm on, but I have to ask...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know what site I'm on, but I have to ask...

I know this is CS, but I have to ask why some people continue to try the "Hey! You shorted me $X!"

I'd figure they'd know by now that policy is to pull the register and count the money, but they try it anyway.

Reason I bring this up is this NotAlwaysRight story:

http://notalwaysright.com/i-have-twe...y-vision/47371

Where the guy claims he was given a $1 instead of a $20 in his change. The cashier says they will need to have the drawer counted. The guy says he'll be back for his $20...and never comes back. Because he wasn't shorted to begin with.

I'd figure the success rate on this particular scam is very very low. I mean, being on the lookout for these things is part of training.

So what do you think?
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

I think the scammers try it on new employees (when the name badge shows 'team member since (date)) and young-seeming employees who might get flustered easier. Even tho it is a part of training (and frankly, it isn't a part of training everywhere!) it is easy to get flustered when someone is being belligerent and in your face, and you have a long line, and maybe math isn't your strong suit.....
    I guess it works often enough for it to be worthwhile!

And sometimes...they really do think they handed the cashier a larger bill! This happened to me once. I realized my mistake as soon as the cashier pointed it out, and apologized, but it can happen to honest folk too.
    I no longer fear HELL.
    I work in RETAIL.

Comment

Because sometimes it works, when I worked fastfood as the GM at the big hat roast beef chain someone tried it on my assistant, counted the drawer and it was right, one of the owners happened to be there and said the new motto was to take care of the customer so give her the money....my jaw dropped. We did but she brought it back in when I think she realized she was wrong

Comment

Quoth roguesqd View Post
        Because sometimes it works
        This puzzles me, though. Because "sometimes" has to be less than 1%, I'd think. That's a wild-@$$ guess, but I'd have to think the "success" rate is very very low.

And what's the person gonna do? Brag to their friends? Feel good about themselves? Feel like they got a deal? I dunno.

Comment

Maybe there's not a high rate of success, but there isn't a very high risk, either. They know they're not going to jail over this, since nobody can prove it was a scam and not an honest mistake, so why not try it? No reason not to (aside from honesty, or self-respect...).
          You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Quoth Canarr View Post
            They know they're not going to jail over this, since nobody can prove it was a scam and not an honest mistake
            I disagree with this. True they know they aren't going to jail.

You may not be able to prove it was a mistake (honest or not), but you can "prove" you were had (or at least an attempt was made) by counting the register.

I've heard stories (a few here on CS, I believe) about people getting the ban hammer for trying this.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
              I disagree with this. True they know they aren't going to jail.

You may not be able to prove it was a mistake (honest or not), but you can "prove" you were had (or at least an attempt was made) by counting the register.

I've heard stories (a few here on CS, I believe) about people getting the ban hammer for trying this.
              There is always that slim chance they actually believed they were shorted. Like me.

Went to a movie theater a couple of years ago - had a 10 and a 20 on me. My intent was to buy a drink with the 20 and use some of the change to play arcade games for a while. Well, I wasn't paying attention and I gave them the 10. I was confused because I should have gotten about $15 back and told the guy I thought I gave him a 20. He opened the register and showed me it was a 10.

I'm 99% sure he thought I was trying to scam him, but it was an honest mistake on my part - and the fact that I have a short term memory like a goldfish doesn't help either.

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
                There is always that slim chance they actually believed they were shorted. Like me.

I'm 99% sure he thought I was trying to scam him, but it was an honest mistake on my part - and the fact that I have a short term memory like a goldfish doesn't help either.
                The difference is, a lot of people know how bills $20 and up are generally handled. And I don't think you would have "disappeared" had they wanted to count the register. I also don't believe you would have accused them of stealing had the register come up even.

Comment

Quoth roguesqd View Post
                  one of the owners happened to be there and said the new motto was to take care of the customer so give her the money.
                  This is one of the reasons why they try it.

Comment

Somebody shorted me once and I'm sure they thought I was trying to scam them. But I had just been to an ATM to get cash, and the ATM didn't give out tens - just twenties, fives and ones. I gave the cashier a twenty and had to argue with her to get the rest of my change, with her insisting I only gave her a ten. She eventually gave in but I'm sure she thought I was lying. She never did count the drawer, just argued with me.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

This is why I always say to immediately request a till count in these situations. The scammers will almost NEVER wait around for a count.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

If something has worked one time, ever, scammers will keep trying it. I mean, how often does Arga get the same tired lines? "I was only parked here for a minute!" When has that ever worked in the history of towing? Apparently around here there is a problem with quick change artists. You know, like the recurring character on Cheers, Harry the Hat. Though it's just mean to pick on Coach.

Anyway, we're told that if we at all feel confused, to just call and an MOD will count the till. BUT I know when it's busy our store has gotten ripped off because the cashier was so busy and (I guess??) ended up believing the SC, and gave them too much change. Not often, but it does happen.
                        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I've encountered this kind of person before: http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...d.php?t=111001 Could have been just a mistake, but then again...
                          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                          My DeviantArt.

Comment

That worked on me. Once. After that I ALWAYS requested a till check. I can only remember one person sticking around while my drawer was counted. The others either miraculously found the money they were stating they had never been given or they say they'll come back, only to never return.

Comment

Many of the SCs mentioned on this board get a refund/discount/etc they don't deserve. Why? Because they get belligerent and employees find it easier to just give in and send the SCs on their way. Counting down a drawer takes time, and these scams often happen while the employees are already very busy. So SCs try this scam because if it works, it's easy money.

We had some quick change artists hit *big box retail*. We were instructed that if a transaction started to get confusing, to shut the drawer and call a manager. And if the scammer tried reaching into the till (which a couple of them did!), to slam the drawer shut. Manager said he'd reward us if we caught their fingers.
                              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Working...
                              X