Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This makes me think of 'Mr. J' one of our elderly regulars at my store. Mr. J is said getting a bit senile in his old age and sometimes goes for a wander and ends up at the store. He lives with his children and has a full time nurse, but sometime he manages to escape their careful eyes. He's a really sweet old man, who tells some of the best stories I've ever heard. We have his family's contact information at the store so we can call them and let them know Mr. J is safe at the store and they should come get him (we got it after his 'first' escape and they spent several panicked hours looking for him). He often wanders in on my graveyard shifts gets a cup of coffee and sits and tells me stories of which I'm not sure they really happened, and after he finishes his coffee, I call his kids (not sure if it's his son or daughter and their spouse he lives with or not) and they collect him.

He's never been any trouble, and I imagine he enjoys getting out for a little while and isn't quiet as far gone as he lets his kids believe he is.

Comment

If I was your store management, and he's not giving off a Creepy McCreeperson vibe, I'd consider hiring him for a greeter-type position, although with strict instructions not to lift items. (That is, if he's frail... some people maintain strong backs throughout their lives.) It sounds like he's nice to have around, helpful to customers, and almost certainly wouldn't ask for more than minimum wage.

Sure, he could be volunteering at a charity or tending a garden at a municipal park, but for better or worse, his store is where he likes to hang out...

Comment

I agree, he should be hired! If he's willing to work for money. He sounds like one of those people who would refuse to accept payment for his work.

Comment

Quoth Silent-Hunter View Post
          I agree, he should be hired! If he's willing to work for money. He sounds like one of those people who would refuse to accept payment for his work.
          Well, if he doesn't want pay, just tell him they have to pay him at least minimum wage, but he could choose to donate it to his favorite charity if he wishes.

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
            Was this hobby shop shaped like a big red barn? I only remember going through Mt Lebanon and seeing a hobby shop like that (no longer in biz). Although in bygone days there was Hobby Horse in Century III Mall.
            Yep, they were in the big red barn for awhile. But, after getting shafted by the local officials again, they moved. They're now out on Route 19, near Donaldson's Crossroads. Traffic over that way sucks, but at least getting into their parking lot...no longer involves a slightly illegal left turn, or turning around in the parking lot by the pool

As for John, I found an easy way to get a rise out of him. He was a die-hard Pennsylvania RR fan, and like most, hated PRR's successor firm, Penn Central. So naturally, when I mentioned I was building an ex-PRR E8 diesel locomotive in an interim scheme (still in PRR Tuscan Red, but with PC logos), he about had a stroke
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
            X