Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid questions - and how I wish I could answer them (language)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Dentarthurdent View Post
    I have a screenshot.
    And you're not posting it why?
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

It always amazes me when every so often in the news they have to remove some guy in a lorry who's got himself stuck down a country lane because his sat nav sent him there.... and nobody ever thinks 'Hmm...the sat nav says I should be going here.This doesn't look like a motorway,but a path off into the woods about three quarters the size of my vehicle. Maybe I'll get a second opinion before ploughing through the shrubbery'.Nope,it's 'sat nav says here it is,so here I'll go.Crash.Wallop.Bang.'
      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I know a place where the GPS always want me to drive down some stairs to a footpath, but it's still a good help when you go somewhere you haven't been before.
        I would miss it, a map is fine and I have one in both my own car and the taxi, but the GPS is so much faster.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
          It always amazes me when every so often in the news they have to remove some guy in a lorry who's got himself stuck down a country lane because his sat nav sent him there.... and nobody ever thinks 'Hmm...the sat nav says I should be going here.This doesn't look like a motorway,but a path off into the woods about three quarters the size of my vehicle. Maybe I'll get a second opinion before ploughing through the shrubbery'.Nope,it's 'sat nav says here it is,so here I'll go.Crash.Wallop.Bang.'
          And that immediately made me think of this Allstate Mayhem commercial.
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

These are some questions people have asked me on the train in Alaska this summer.

1. Are we in Canada?
            Why yes, sir. The government sold Alaska to Canada to help pay off the national debt.

2. This was asked right before embarking in Seward. Do people live in houses here?
            No, everyone lives in tents in the summer and igloos in the winter.

3. This was after being told repeatedly to take their luggage with them after disembarking the train. Do we leave our bags on the train?
            Go ahead. I'll just see if there's anything I can use and put the rest on EBay.
            Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

While working at a small grocery store near Bar Harbor, Maine I had a tourist ask me which beach was closest to the ocean.

I was literally stunned into silence, I was speechless.
              The customer is always right until I decide he isn't.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                I hate it when people I'm giving a ride to, decide to say "Okay, turn here!" just as I'm zipping past their corner.
                Back in high school, I was hanging out with Lucy, Sean, and Jenny. Jenny and I were in the back seat, Lucy was driving, and Sean was riding shotgun. As we were zipping along, Lucy said, "Let me know if you see any stop signs." A few moments later, Sean said, "There was one" as we whizzer past it.

Lucy about killed him.

(Jenny and I were cracking up...but quietly, so we didn't piss of Lucy as well.)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

One of my agents got a call earlier today from a genius asking "See here on the website, where it says e-mail address? Do I need to enter my e-mail address?"
                  FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    I'm disappointed - you should have asked them if they were talking stature miles or nautical miles.
                    ...or Miles Davis. never ignore Miles Davis.
                    Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                    I took to calling the GPS voice "Navi" in those annoying moments.
                    That's awfully nice of you. I call her something that starts with a C and rhymes with "James Blunt".
                    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

Quoth C. Cecil Ivanish View Post
                      ...or Miles Davis. never ignore Miles Davis.
                      You're just trying to stir up a Bitches Brew? ... or J. Edgar from Live-Evil?
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

My family was hosting a high school chorus student from Northern Vermont for a regional chorus event over a weekend about 15 years ago. We took her into Rhode Island (about a 5 minute drive) to go the beaches since hadn't ever seen the Atlantic before. No big deal right up till she said "Oh wow, Rhode Island really is an island!!!" as we crossed the river that makes up the southern border between CT and RI.

That one stopped all conversation as she was (supposedly...) a 4.0 student back in her high school.

Comment

To be fair,sometimes you don't realize whereabouts things are especially if you're in another part of the country.I never realized until I went to uni just how close Manchester,Sheffield,Derby and all are,that 10 minutes out of Manchester you can be in the Peaks or how Lincoln is way up past Birmingham(I had it mentally down about Cambridge way)
                          As far Hawaii,I always had that floating maybe a couple hundred miles off the coast of California-somewhere about where you'd end up if you kept the Alaska border going down south. There's a lot more ocean out there that I expected
                          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                            Ever had the temptation to enter the lat/long co-ordinates 42°26′05″N 83°59′06″W into his GPS (hint - it's in Michigan, about 15 miles NW of Ann Arbor), then let his GPS tell him where to go?
                            I've been through there many times. It is as interesting as one would expect.
                            I'd tell you where to go, but I work there and I don't want to see you everyday.

My photo blog.

Comment

Quoth RootedPhoenix View Post
                              Google Earth says that a given road in a place I used to live goes straight through when it doesn't.

I should know, I used to live on that street.
                              When I used Google Maps to try to navigate Los Angeles County, it kept trying to send me through gated communities.

Comment

Our satnav did not want us to leave Devon. Halfway across the Tamar Bridge it kept shrieking turn around immediately... we declined... doing a U-turn across two lanes of traffic on a bridge is not a sensible idea

Comment

Working...
                                X