Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > General Work Chat

Old 10-31-2020, 06:14 PM
Philosophical Tomato

I don't quite understand wearing a mask on Zoom as I've seen some people doing. Speaking while masked can be difficult to understand even with perfect diction (I have seen specialized masks for vocalists/actors that allow for normal mouth movements); throw a spotty wifi connection/bad microphone into that mix and...argh.

Old 10-31-2020, 06:57 PM
Bookkeeper

Quote:
Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
You know I'm wondering, if I still had my call center job, and if I had had to go into the office at some point, would they make me wear a mask at my desk all day? Even though I would be on the phone? That would be rough.

Glad I don't have to worry about it.
I currently work at a call center. Masks are not required at one's desk (we're spread out enough for distancing), but must be worn anywhere else in the building unless you're at your desk or in the breakroom eating (have to wear it to travel between those two points).

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Old 11-01-2020, 12:48 AM
Content Slut

Quote:
You know I'm wondering, if I still had my call center job, and if I had had to go into the office at some point, would they make me wear a mask at my desk all day? Even though I would be on the phone? That would be rough.

Glad I don't have to worry about it.
My call centre was always an absolute plague pit. If one person was sick we all got sick. Because no one had fixed cubicles. Me and the floor supervisors shared the same desk. While the grunts just picked whatever cubicle they wanted/was available when they walked in.

They gave us wipes and told us to wipe the keyboards/mice when we came in but it never worked. The newbie grunts didn't even have an assigned headset yet and would have to grab one from a communal pool.

I assume they all have covid by this point.

Old 11-02-2020, 10:58 PM
I need a life

I might be working from home forever. Fine with me!

Old 11-03-2020, 01:15 AM
Philosophical Tomato

We now have a statewide curfew (goes into effect on Friday IIRC), but no actual mask mandate that is being enforced; it's still couched as "should wear a mask" and AFAIK very few municipalities are actually issuing fines (my management is still "well we can't force them to wear a mask while shopping"...but it's a requirement for entry and the public health order says "wear a mask all the time in public spaces", so why can't we exercise the right to refuse service if someone chooses to violate the public health order thus putting all of us at risk?).

Curfew is 10PM, which shouldn't affect my schedule that much as I fortunately have a very short foot commute and management will likely issue "essential worker" paperwork if they need to.

Last edited by Dreamstalker; 11-03-2020 at 02:14 AM.

Old 11-03-2020, 12:04 PM
Injector of Radioactive Things

Quote:
Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
why can't we exercise the right to refuse service if someone chooses to violate the public health order thus putting all of us at risk?
Because tHe EcOnOmY.

And that's all I'll say about it, lol.

Old 11-03-2020, 03:44 PM
Other side of the m0dem

Quote:
Quoth Seanette View Post
I currently work at a call center. Masks are not required at one's desk (we're spread out enough for distancing), but must be worn anywhere else in the building unless you're at your desk or in the breakroom eating (have to wear it to travel between those two points).
OH hell no. You can bet they all have covid now. I certainly wouldn't do the hot desk thing, or god forbid sharing headsets?? EEEUUUWWW. No no no i have to have my own stuff that NO one else touches.

Blech.

Double blech.

God I'm so glad I don't have to deal with that bs.

Old 11-03-2020, 10:45 PM
Chairman of the Board

Quote:
Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
.. so why can't we exercise the right to refuse service if someone chooses to violate the public health order thus putting all of us at risk? ...
Because those people are not putting the people at corporate HQ at risk. Corporate considers all the workers in the store expendable.

Old 11-03-2020, 11:37 PM
Philosophical Tomato

Quote:
No no no i have to have my own stuff that NO one else touches.
Precisely. I carry a supply of cheapo pens (stolen from my old job!) just so that if I give one to someone I don't get it back. Nobody but nobody touches my glove stash or sanitizer...the one time I did leave my bottle on the register counter for two seconds one of the drama queens picked it up saying "I dunno whose this is but I'm usin it"...oh no you're not. I know none of us like the store sanitizer so get yer own goddammit.
Quote:
Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
Because tHe EcOnOmY.
Ah, yes, the almighty Bottom Line

Last edited by Dreamstalker; 11-04-2020 at 12:09 AM.

Old 11-04-2020, 02:43 AM
Bagger

From the ads on TV here, at least some call center employees are working from home. The final moments of one ad involve a child, walking in on his dad expounding on what a great employment opportunity the Y Company is, and child asking if Dad is going to wear pants at work today

Last edited by EricKei; 11-04-2020 at 12:47 PM. Reason: dup