Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're into late spring here on the bottom end of the world. On Monday we had snow on the mountains (which is like nearly everywhere that isn't valley). On Wednesday it hit nearly 30C (around 90F). Today (Thursday) it's raining and cold again, looking like more snow overnight.

At least the weather is never boring!

Comment

Towards the top of the world here! Still hasn't snowed, the season is super late! It's making all sorts of weird stuff happen, branches are trying to bud again, the flowers are still surviving and there's still some green.

so weird

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        Not all of us....

Now people, that's not nice. I'll have you know that people here are already bitching bout the cold, seeing as it just started to dip below 80. (And yes, some people here honestly DO bitch about that being "cold." Some people are pretty damn spoiled.)

By the way, I've been hearing about these snowballs y'all are saving up for me for years. Haven't seen one yet.

And for once, I was not the first to revel in my warm weather climate!

Back in HS I knew a guy who had grown up in Florida then moved north to the St. Louis area. HE LOVED SNOW (why I do not know he proudly wore a jacket that had THINK SNOW printed on it) and ice skating.

He once told me that it the temps went below 55 or 60 degrees, they would close the schools cause they did not have heating.

ONE DAY JESTER one day to the moon with an ice ball.
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

There was a time when it did snow in Miami. Well, not exactly in Miami, but in South Dade County . Since it didn't happen at the airport, it's not in the "official" record, but is footnoted. January 19, 1977. I was a toddler, but it was striking enough that I have a brief, but very clear memory of going outside and running around in the flurries while my mother was standing at the doorway of the house. Of course, the flurries didn't last long, and none of it stuck, but it did, in fact, snow here.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2009/02/0...it-snowed.html
          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Sometimes it will snow in southern CA. It did in March of 2000 or 2001. And a few years ago. I also remember it happening in my childhood. I think that may have been the early 80s. Of course, it's just flurries or some slush that sticks for 20 minutes. I'm surprised it hasn't snowed here yet. It's almost mid-November. It's cold enough at the moment, but no precip. I'm kind of glad, actually.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
              I will consent to meet your psycho ex after you meet my psycho ex.
              To be blunt, FUCK NO. Not only don't I have any desire to meet your psycho ex, though if I do, I do, but I also don't want to deal with or have any of my friends meet my psycho ex ever again. It's embarassing enough to me that I ever went there.

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
              ONE DAY JESTER one day to the moon with an ice ball.
              Yeah, yeah. Good luck with that.

Quoth mathnerd View Post
              There was a time when it did snow in Miami.
              Quoth Food Lady View Post
              Sometimes it will snow in southern CA.
              While it has never snowed in Key West (coldest recorded temperature in history was 41F), many people are surprised to find out that it does occasionally snow in Phoenix. As in, every few years. It's rare, but not unheard of. Some winter temps (usually overnight temps, but sometimes during the day) will get down into the high twenties, which is of course cold enough. The lack of precipitation (it's the desert, ya know) tends to prevent snow, but every now and then you get both the low temps and the precipitation together, and then you get snow in Phoenix. Not much, of course, but it does happen.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                To be blunt, FUCK NO. Not only don't I have any desire to meet your psycho ex, though if I do, I do, but I also don't want to deal with or have any of my friends meet my psycho ex ever again. It's embarassing enough to me that I ever went there.
                Then we agree. Seriously, I don't think I want the two of you in the same room together anyway. You saw how nervous I was the one time that was a possibility. But if it happens, please make sure I'm drunk.

Back on topic, it does very occasionally drop below freezing in Miami. Of course this would happen in the dry season, so the most we generally get is a little bit of frost until the sun comes out and melts it off. I'd say that happens once every couple years.

I really did enjoy living in North Dakota, particularly in the Winter. I know it sounds strange, but I loved the cold weather and the snow. Sure it was a pain when I had to drive home from work in a blizzard, but other than that, I found the cold was much preferable to the heat of South Florida.
                At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Here in Fredericton, we're still snow free. Had some frosts and heavy frosts, but all our precipitation so far has been the wet stuff and not the white stuff. I was walking around on Tuesday, and found some ice still on the ground at the end of the day in the park, but that's it so far.

Give it another couple of weeks and we'll be in snow mode.

It's a bit amazing how fast my city shifts into winter mode. 3 weekends ago, I was walking around, and the docks were on the river, the drinking fountains were pressurized, the water fountains were going and so forth. A week later I was out, and everything was all packed up and stowed away as if it was never there.

Comment

It's too damned early to be hollerin' "snow". . . .yet that's what the weather forecasters here are doing already.

They're predicting we'll see some this coming Wednesday - yet Thanksgiving is still 3 weeks away.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

HEY ya'll!

Sorry bout that, long week!

Didn't accumulate here........WHEW!
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

It's been known to snow on Hallowe'en here.
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Oh, don't I know that.

Bad memories of being a kid having to wear snow pants over my costume.

It's supposedly snowing right now, but I don't see it.

Ya'll just know I'm always peeking out the damn window.
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                            Ya'll just know I'm always peeking out the damn window.
                            We know... Watchin' for flakes, aren't ya?
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Oh, today was bad. I had to go to Mankato for some business this morning, then had to get back to the Twin Cities for a lunch date with a very pretty gal. The roads were GLARE ICE in town. I got the hell out of dodge as fast as I could. It was awful . As I was leaving the parking lot of the Sam's Club there, there was a car that slid onto the curb and was trying to get unstuck. Just a little north of Mankato on US 169 the roads were good again.

I guess this is turning into the F! you Mother Nature Winter 2013/14.
                              Last edited by Victory Sabre; 11-11-2013, 10:01 PM.
                              "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

I am NOT looking forward to winter. I am, however, looking forward to 2014 where I'll be moving out of the frigid north east and heading for warmer weather.

Edit: It is, however, supposed to snow a little on Wednesday morning. Boo.

Comment

Working...
                                X