This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your dress code includes what?

... yep ... five different types of makeup ...

I'm not sure how they verify this.

Does that mean no more than five, or no fewer than five? Like, don't have six colours on each eye plus lipstick and blush? Or don't just slap on foundation and call it makeup?

Comment

If I understood her correctly, it's the latter. Eyeliner, eyeshadow, blush, lipliner, lipstick ... fine. Slapping foundation on and nothing else ... not so fine.

Which was truly ironic since I was wearing ONLY lipstick at the time ... and I wouldn't have had even that (since I rushed out of the house without bringing one with me) except for the fact I stopped at a drugstore and bought a new one ...

That six colours per eye sounds intriguing, though. If I get hired maybe I'll try it.

Comment

LOL not on this little duckling, every single makeup I have ever tried has caused issues even the uber hypoallergenic stuff. Last time I even gave it a shot for being in a wedding, I ended up sidelined because the opthomologist recommended hypoallergenic mascara caused my eyes to swell shut and develop sties on both upper and lower lids of both eyes. Base, blush and eyeshadows cause zits from hell. Lipstick causes the skin on my lips to peel [hint - I don't even wear lip balm or sunblock]
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Oh my. I can't wear eye makeup anymore (allergic conjuncitivits...it's not contagious, it's just f**king annoying). I only wear foundation and lip balm, sometimes a little blush. And really, I don't see how any employer could REQUIRE someone to wear makeup (unless you were working the makeup counter, perhaps...)
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I don't wear mascara or eyeliner (just the idea of putting that stuff around my eyes makes me squicky), usually it's just eyeshadow, lipstick/gloss and maybe a bit of blush or bronzer.

Does the five include nail polish?
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Good point about nailpolish; it might very well be included ... let's hope!

This place does sell makeup and also does makeups, both on display in the mall corridor and for special events. So I guess a makeup-free employee would probably not fit in with their image.

I haven't worn eye makeup for decades. I've developed extremely droopy eyelids -- it's a genetic thing, like freckles or a pug nose. The only way to correct it is cosmetic surgery, which I'm not thrilled about but will have done one of these fine days ... as soon as I save up $1,000+ per eye. I had planned to bite the bullet and get it done in the summer of 2009 ... then I got laid off in the winter of 2008. (Canada has a lovely universal medical care program but it definitely does not cover cosmetic surgery, except in unusual cases.)

AccountingDrone and MoonCat, that's interesting ... I wonder how they would handle something like that. I'd think since you literally physically can't tolerate it, they would work around it ... blusher, lipliner, lipstick, nailpolish, ... a tattoo?

Also, they sell products for men but I have never, ever seen a male employee in these places. I'm assuming the "five types of makeup" wouldn't apply in their case ...

Comment

Is that anything like 37 pieces of flair?
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Six colours per eye:
                  Cover the eyelid and the narrow spot under the eye with the palest tone, as a base.
                  Apply the second palest tone across the whole upper section - between the eyebrow and the crease.
                  The third palest, using a wide eyeshadow brush, is used in the inner and outer thirds of the upper section.
                  Smooth all of these shades together with the wide eyeshadow brush, so the edges blur.

Apply the third darkest section to the eyelid proper - the part over the eye.
                  Apply the second darkest with a narrow eyeshadow brush, used sideways, along the crease of the eye. Use this brush to blur the shades, both above and below the crease.
                  Use a very narrow brush - perhaps an eyebrow brush - and apply the darkest shade along the lashline, as if it were Egyptian eyeliner. Blur this only slightly, just enough to cover the inevitable fact that it's not a perfectly drawn line.

Take your widest eyeshadow brush and get some of the palest colour again. Apply it in a vertical line along the highlight of the eyelid - basically, the centre, where the eyeball is most prominent. Blur this, as well.

There you go. Six shades of eyeshadow. If you want to put different shades on the inner and outer thirds of the upper section, that's seven. If you want to use white for the final highlighting, that's eight.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post

AccountingDrone and MoonCat, that's interesting ... I wonder how they would handle something like that. I'd think since you literally physically can't tolerate it, they would work around it ... blusher, lipliner, lipstick, nailpolish, ... a tattoo?

Also, they sell products for men but I have never, ever seen a male employee in these places. I'm assuming the "five types of makeup" wouldn't apply in their case ...
                    Well I do have a tattoo already [that is visible in clothing] I could go for a few more ...

And I know a few gay men who do wear makeup - foundation, lip cover, light eye makeup [ sort of the 'natural look] deal. The y are mainly covering flaws to look better rather than makeup to be noticed.
                    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

How about eye brow pencil / powder ? That could be one.

Comment

I guess I do five if I bother with eyeshadow, which I don't every day. What do they say about your hair/hair accessories? My 'dos can get a little weird, like pigtails. (Am I five? )
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

My guess would be that hair accessories don't count, mostly because they don't sell them. Another requirement of the job, BTW, is that your hair be pulled back off your face. My hair is nowhere near long enough to fasten like that so I'd be either pinning it back (which would be fun as it's very fine and neither pins nor any other hair fastener stay put for very long), or wearing a hairband.

Comment

I can understand restrained hair more easily than I can 'five types of makeup'. But then, I am aware that hair is a safety issue in many, many fields: either worker safety, or contamination by shed hair.

Oh, as a BTW? Consider snoods, if you take the job and need to keep fine hair back.
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

There used to be a woman who worked at a now-defunct supermarket chain here...she used to cover her entire eyelid and the space between the eye and her eyebrow with bright cobalt blue or peacock-green eyeshadow. I mean the heavy-duty kind that looks like you used a paint roller to apply it. That was in addition to eyeliner, mascara and blush. She looked like a clown.
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X