Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATTN: CUSTOMERS! DON'T F***ING WRITE CHECKS IN THE EXPRESS LANE!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the express lane today, guy in front of me (youngish, college type) waited until he had paid for his purchase, then instead of leaving... Asks cashier to explain the rewards program for this chain of stores. Cue me abruptly shifting to glare at him. Luckily whatever the cashier said was pretty quick, but STILL.

Quoth cindybubbles View Post
    Here's to wishing we could have security officers in front of each cash register, inspecting purchases and redirecting customers to the appropriate lane.
    There are people directing traffic for the registers at this grocery store. They very often direct me to the express lanes, even though I have lots of items. I'm not sure the reasoning on this. The only thing I can think of is preventing huge backups on the regular lanes?
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

My biggest issue with the "20 Items or Less" is that it should be "20 Items or Fewer"

Back when I actually wrote out my checks to pay for groceries, there were things I could fill out while in line: the name of the store, the date, and my signature. The only thing left was the amount. With everything all filled out, that hardly took any time to complete.

Now I pay with a debit card so it's all a moot point now.
      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Heck, these days, many stores have POS units that can write the check for you -- all you need to do is sign it and hand it to the cashier along with your ID. Some don't even keep the check, they just have the system scan it in, then you void the original.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Our Walmart has it so you can sign, and it prints VOID in the right places so you can just throw it away after if you like.
          My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
            My biggest issue with the "20 Items or Less" is that it should be "20 Items or Fewer"
            I hate these Woooord Criiiiimes o/~
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
              This video predates Word Crimes by nearly four years. Just Weird Al doing some random stuff.
              To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                So do I. I cringe every time I read the cartoon on the front page with "you're" instead of "your". Ugh!
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                  So do I. I cringe every time I read the cartoon on the front page with "you're" instead of "your". Ugh!
                  Ugh, you and me both.

Comment

Last night we ran by Wal-Mart to pick up some groceries before the weather moved in again. Store wasn't THAT busy, but all the self check out lanes were full. So we went through an express lane. I got stuck behind a lady who had the cashier ring everything up, she swiped her debit card. Declined. So she took off a lipstick, swiped the debit card. Declined. Then said she didn't want the foundation. Swipe. Decline. Took off something else. Swipe. Decline.

NOTHING she was buying was essential. All make up, and not the cheap 2 dollar kind either. How can you start off with a 50 dollar transaction and end with a 10 dollar transaction? Do you not know how much money you have?

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                      I would have gone to a self checkout, but I had a bottle of wine, and I don't know if they'll let you use self checkouts for those.
                      Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                      That depends on the retailer.
                      Quoth Seanette View Post
                      Not in California. I don't do alcohol, but can read signs posted on SCOs (which I can't seem to get along with, so I go to cashiers).
                      And probably has to do with state law, too. I can check out alcohol at the SCOs at the Wally World near me no problem.

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                      Thank you! That makes me twitch every time I see it.
                      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                        Quoth Pagan View Post
                        Thank you! That makes me twitch every time I see it.
                        We definitely need less SCs. Yep, that's gramatically correct - all you need to do is convert SCs from a discrete item to a continuous item. How do you do that? Simple -
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          Heck, these days, many stores have POS units that can write the check for you -- all you need to do is sign it and hand it to the cashier along with your ID. Some don't even keep the check, they just have the system scan it in, then you void the original.
                          But still you'll have those customers who will still insist on writing out that damned check themselves, despite being told numerous times that they don't have to fill it out - just scribble their signature and hand it over.

And they'll do this so sloooowwlly that it will drive those customers who are waiting in line behind them batty:

*looks around store absentmindedly* What store is this?

*cashier tells them store name, customer slowly drawls it out onto the check*

What's today's date?

*cashier tells them the month and day, customer slowly scribbles*

What was my total again?

*cashier tells customer the total amount. Customer starts to write it, then starts looking around oblivious to his/her surroundings* What was my total again?

*customers in line giving both customer and cashier stink eye*

*cashier again tells customer the total while secretly wanting to find that elusive button for a trap door*

*customer finishes scrawling out the total and then runs out of ink, slowly digs through weekender bag sized purse to find another pen*

You folks get the idea, right?
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

When it comes to cheques, I'd be very wary of signing a blank one and handing it over. Print it, then give it back for signing - that's fine.

But I haven't used a cheque in a shop for about a decade.

Comment

Why ANYONE uses checks in the era of debit cards, I will never know.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                                Why ANYONE uses checks in the era of debit cards, I will never know.
                                Well I know that my mother still uses checks for paying bills to have several different source records of it occurring, including the bill, the voided check, and several other things just in case something happens and she needs to prove that she has paid those amounts. Then again she also despises the new-fangled machines at the stores that just run the check through and then return it to her.

The other reason I can see why someone would use them in this era is security. It is probably a fair bit harder for someone to get access to your checking account when you've got the only means sitting in a checkbook on your desk, unlike a credit/debit card that needs replaced the next time a store you've shopped at 2 years ago gets a security breach and your information is now out there. Got blindsided by that once when some folks got access to my mum's credit card and went on an online shopping spree without us knowing, but her checking account where she actually kept her money was safe and sound.

Comment

Working...
                                X