This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The inmates have done it again!

You may remember that I mentioned, in a long previous post, about the inmates having taken over the asylum.

Well.

I will call these two "persons" Dumb and Dumber. It's appropriate.

These two were hired by the company where I do most of my work to "manage" us. This, despite the fact that most of us are NOT EMPLOYEES. This is very important; we are NOT employees of the company, we are independent suppliers of an important service.

Well, since these two were hired, they've spent their time telling us what to do, without giving any reasons why. This is Dumber's job. Dumb is Dumber's boss, and Dumber just parrots what Dumb says. Dumber loves to send us emails on trivial matters, expecting us to hop right to it and do what we're told.

Oh, and have I mentioned that we're not employees?

So, in essence, we're given all sorts of commands from two people who have no contractual right, or agreement, to order us around, who have never once asked what sort of system we have for supplying our services, who expect us to fall in line with every single damned thing they decide.

This was bad enough - and, by the way, I have complained about the situation before, and another supplier has complained about it more than once. We both complained to another department in the company. This led to a meeting with Dumb and Dumber, and I knew as soon as I met them that nothing was going to change; they shot down every suggestion I offered, and it's clear that the two of them are very close. How close, I don't know, but shall we say, unprofessionally close; even if it's just a good friendship and nothing more, they should not be working together, since they will undoubtedly cover each other's asses at every opportunity, and quite possibly, lie to protect each other.

So, the Dynamic Duo came up with a new idea. They aren't getting as many orders these days. Hence, we aren't getting as many orders from them.

So, fewer orders, maybe a little cost-cutting is necessary, hmmmm?

What do they decide to do?

You're not going to believe this. This is the Helter Skelter of business decisions.

They informed us (in writing, fortunately), that we will be given a certain amount of work per month. If we exceed this amount, what do you think will happen?

Since you can't guess, I'll tell you.

For everything over the set amount, we will be paid LESS.

Yes, you read that right. They want the same work, in the same quality, for LESS MONEY.

I know how they can save both time and money; they can both fuck off and quit, which will be a huge savings of stress, as well. As it is, some of the departments in the company are getting pissed off at us because they don't know what the situation is, or who caused it.

So, yesterday I took myself down to the same person who heard my complaint some time ago. There are two people in this office, whom I will call Good Person 1 and Good Person 2. 1 is the person who heard my complaint earlier.

1 had that what-is-it now expression when I asked, "Can I talk to you?" Fortunately, they are both good people, and as I had suspected, neither of them had any idea what Dumb and Dumber had been doing. I pointed out that if we exceed our "allowed" work in any given month, we simply won't work any more that month. We won't be available, and Dumb and Dumber will have to find someone else to do the work - and, surprise surprise, they will have to pay that supplier just as month as they would have had to pay us before the arbitrary discount.

I also said I would inform all the departments of the company why we weren't going to be available, and give them the names of Dumb and Dumber, since they were the ones who came up with this idea in the first place. I said I didn't want to stop working after a certain limit, but there was and is no way I will accept someone else's decision on this. I told Good People 1 and 2 that Dumb and Dumber have never asked us about our system (as I mentioned above), that they simply think they know what we should do and how we should do it better than we do, and that I was going to let all the departments know whose decision had led to us being unavailable to them. Let them complain to those who fucked up the process in the first place!

I swear, I know the economy's in sad shape, but I hope that those two get fired, or demoted to grunt work. It's clear that they are thoroughly incompetent and just like throwing their weight around. Or, if they want to save the company money, another option is for them to take a pay cut.

Good Person 2 looked at me in sheer incredulity as I related the story, not being too familiar with Dumb or Dumber. Oh, and when I mentioned how close D&D are, Good Person 2 said, "Yes, I heard them in the meeting."

So, 1 and 2 are, I hope, on our side. 1 is going to inform Dumb's supervisor. I mentioned that I was thinking of contacting another person in that division, and 1 agreed that this would be a good idea.

What a mess!

Geez. Those two are costing the company money because 1. they are drawing salaries and 2. they are preventing necessary work from being done in timely fashion.

And I'm glad you're standing up and saying "no" to working without pay and calmly making sure that everyone knows who is to blame when the work doesn't get done.

"I'm sorry, but due to budget concerns Dumber has only allocated me x hours per month to work on projects for [company]. Since I've gone over that number of hours you'll need to wait until next month or you can talk to Dumber or Dumb about increasing the budget for this month. I'm very sorry and I'd love to be able to take on your project, but it's just not in my control."

Polite, but evil.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Oh, it's better than that, Dips.

The work that we do usually has to be done within a day or two - sometimes the same day, sometimes in a few hours. They'll really be screaming when they're under a deadline, stressed out, trying to find another supplier, and ready to lynch the Terrible Twins for this idea.

I feel terrible for the people in the departments, those who had nothing to do with this change, who are going to get reamed for it, because someone had the bright idea to hire Dumb and Dumber. Once they find out, though, what has happened, the shit is really going to hit the fan for D&D.

Comment

PLEASE keep us updated on this.
        "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Believe me, I will!

I have no high opinion of Dumber, but even so, this is a new low in Dumberessness. We all think that those two are trying to justify their jobs - I have no idea what they do with themselves the rest of the day, when they aren't trying to come up with ways to make our lives harder. Good Person 1 agreed that there was no point in us exceeding our "given" amount per month, if Dumb and Dumber thought they could get away with paying us less.

One of the other suppliers told me today that there's no way they will get away with it - we're independent contractors, not employees, and they can't just make this decision and expect it to stick.

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
            One of the other suppliers told me today that there's no way they will get away with it - we're independent contractors, not employees, and they can't just make this decision and expect it to stick.
            You know, there's an idea...

The next time you negotiate an agreement, add a clause stating that there is an extra fee for dealing with Dumb and Dumber. By name.
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
              You know, there's an idea...

The next time you negotiate an agreement, add a clause stating that there is an extra fee for dealing with Dumb and Dumber. By name.
              Hee hee... I love it!

Fact is, there are no agreements concluded with the company; they've been getting quality work from us for some time, and now they've introduced these two, in an attempt to streamline the processes. The sad thing is, they've found, quite possibly, the least competent people they could.

I hope that things get very interesting (i.e. uncomfortable) for those two soon.

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
                Fact is, there are no agreements concluded with the company; [...]
                Maybe it is long past time you have one then. Nothing put light on a matter like having it on contract figuratively signed in blood.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                X