X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rooster Dumpers

Background:
    I work for a small software company, and the people I work with (especially the boss) are on the interesting side.

Our office is in an old warehouse, in a suburb of Philly. Doesn’t look like much, but the boss owns it, and it has a nice little side-yard.

A couple of years ago these folks decided to do a little bit of suburban farming - and so we have half-a-dozen chickens in the side-yard. The folks who take care of them split the eggs and all is reasonably well (a well-constructed, fully-enclosed coop was deployed to insure that no neighborhood animals would walk off with the girls)

The Story:
    Last week someone dumped a Rooster on us.

Just let that sink in a moment - someone snuck up to our building and deposited a live Rooster in the yard.

Boggles the mind, doesn't it?

One more example of the SC attitude: I shouldn’t have to deal with this, let’s just dump it on someone else. They care absolutely not one bit for anyone but themselves. Easter chick too big-and-noisy now? Eh, dump it over there, let someone else do the work.

Thanks, <bleep>, we needed one more thing to remind us that large segments of the population are no only useless, but actively getting in the way of the advancement of the human race.

Postscript: The rooster was placed was a local farmer, but that option was only available because he comes round every week with produce, and apparently likes us. If we didn't know him, I doubt he's have taken the thing.
    Last edited by mhkohne; 05-24-2016, 02:05 AM. Reason: format
    Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

So...

You got a used cock?
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

My grandparents live on a beach, with a steep hill behind them. One day, chicken! They kept her and named her Henny Penny. A former CW lives out of town, way out there. She had a bunch of cats and dogs that people drove out and dumped. I hopefully suggested that maybe the animals ran away or got lost? She said, no she had seen the people dump them. People suck.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Chicken dinner was also an option...
        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Yea, that is the downside of "non-traditional farming".

People think "oh they won't notice one more" or "they love animals, they can take this one". But it is really expensive to keep livestock, and keeping random ones is dangerous to your regular livestock you raised. You do not know where that cock has been. Did someone rescue him from cock fighting? (and will attack others readily) Does he have any diseases? (that might not be visible, but the bleeding hearts don't want to put it down or risk their own livestock. So they risk yours. )

At least the regular farmer (hopefully) knows to quarantine and watch for warning signs.
          I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Also rooster (male) +laying hens (females) =headaches and less eggs for eating.

Comment

Folks probably thought that since there are chickens a rooster won't hurt. This is the ignorance of someone who makes a rooster as a pet in the first place. Then again people think cats and and dogs can just instinctively fend for themselves or become part iofnwhat group is there. I had a roommate who thought my cat who had gotten out was "hunting field mice". He was an indoor cat who never hurt anything.

I got my cat back a few days later when he appeared at my steps and I convinced him to come back inside.

Comment

A dog that we've taken in was thrown from a moving car at the top of our development. I really can't see why as it's a very sweet natured mutt. Oh well, their loss.
                But the paint on me is beginning to dry
                And it's not what I wanted to be
                The weight on me
                Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                  You got a used cock?
                  I'm just glad nobody left a male cow there. Because we'd be getting a real cock and bull story!
                  “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                  One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                  The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                    I'm just glad nobody left a male cow there. Because we'd be getting a real cock and bull story!
                    Or we'd be steering you wrong.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                      Or we'd be steering you wrong.
                      Moo....er, Boo!

Comment

Quoth dendawg View Post
                        Moo....er, Boo!
                        No, Cow Cow Boo...gie (Ella Fitzgerald)

Comment

Quoth AngryFaery View Post
                          Folks probably thought that since there are chickens a rooster won't hurt. This is the ignorance of someone who makes a rooster as a pet in the first place. Then again people think cats and and dogs can just instinctively fend for themselves or become part iofnwhat group is there. I had a roommate who thought my cat who had gotten out was "hunting field mice". He was an indoor cat who never hurt anything.

I got my cat back a few days later when he appeared at my steps and I convinced him to come back inside.
                          He might have been trying. For cats, the scurrying motion ignites their primal instincts. My little housecat... one time we got an infestation of mice. Guess who got a mouse on her pillow? And my beast is agorophobic and won't go outside.

Comment

There's a lot of rooster dumping down here, to the extent the local RSPCA has an annual 'adopt a rooster' day. People dump them anywhere, but usually in rural areas, over the fence of someone who already has chickens.

It peeves me no end, I had to give up my two little roosters because a neighbour complained. They have a good home now out on a big acreage, lots of hens to play with. But I still have my chickens and ducks.

My second cat is the child of a dumped pregnant cat found by a friend, again, rural.

It's an awful thing to do, dump a pet because it got pregnant, or grew up, or whatever. People do indeed suck.

Comment

There is a special place in Hell for people who dump animals.
                              I got my last cat Fin via a dumper. I found this very noisy, very skinny male cat underneath the car next to mine one afternoon. He was just past the 'cute' stage, so therefore not cute enough to keep. Fortunately, he wasn't quite old enough to spray yet, so I took him in, got him fixed and fed, and he was my beautiful baby for 10 years. He was terrified of anyone who wasn't me, though.
                              Fin's gone now, and I picked up Rita from a shelter. She rules my life with an iron paw.
                              Alas, just one at a time. I'm mildly allergic.

Comment

Working...
                              X