Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Songs you don't get until you're older...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Songs you don't get until you're older...

Anyone had a case where they've listened to a song when they were younger, then listened to it several years later and realised that it's not as innocent as it seems?

I wound up listening to one today...just out of boredom, I started googling some old songs I liked when I was younger for fun and this gem popped up.

Baby when I'm gridin, I get so excited....

Damn, I was actually singing that when I was around 11/12 at school and had no idea what it actually meant

The music video ITSELF is Safe for work, the lyrics not so much....
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

2 become 1 by the Spice Girls. I was a sheltered kid.
    What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

Quoth Parrothead View Post
      2 become 1 by the Spice Girls. I was a sheltered kid.
      So was I apparaently
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Smooth Criminal. It seems like a nice beat song, then you read the lyrics...
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
          Smooth Criminal. It seems like a nice beat song, then you read the lyrics...
          Hmmmm *goes to look up lyrics* not sure what I'm missing here.

Now here are a couple that I didn't know what they meant at first ...and later went "oh duh"

Imaginary Lover by Atlanta Rhythm Section
          Rosie by Jackson Browne

Will add others as I think of them.
          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
            Hmmmm *goes to look up lyrics* not sure what I'm missing here.
            You mean the break and enter and attempted murder that the entire song is about?
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I was a kid when the Village People came out and just thought they were a catchy disco novelty act...Cut to 10 years later when I had just graduated high school and I listened to their lyrics....*shudder*...I understood the real meanings.

Comment

There was a time when my 5 yr old daughter (who was about 3 at the time) walked around the house singing the R&B song "Birthday Sex"....

My fault for playing it within her hearing distance, as she loves music and memorizes songs pretty quickly. I never played it again (without headphones). Thankfully, she doesnt understand but I know that when shes older and takes a glance through my music files, her mind...it may be blown.

There was a time when I was 12 and a popular song was "Last Night" by Az Yet. I remember it being played at a birthday party and the mother comes over and furiously turns it off and tells us its inappropriate. My husband (we met in the 7th grade) stands up, hes also 12 yrs old, and tells the mother that its a beautiful song of two people making love. We all tried to stifle giggles, as she confiscated the cassette tape and stomped away. It makes me laugh to this da

Comment

I heard a little girl- she looked to be about six- singing 'S&M' by Rihanna.

Comment

That's worse than the little girl I saw being encouraged by her mum to sing along to Guy Sebastian's "Like It Like That" (It sounds too damn controlling to me).
                    Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

My Dad used to listen to ZZ-Top in the garage when I was just a wee little Squeak, and I considered them one of my favorite bands back then too (still do). I remember borrowing a cd one day when I was in college and listening to it when I went to class and really listened to the words...
                      I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Quoth Squeaksmyalias View Post
                        My Dad used to listen to ZZ-Top in the garage when I was just a wee little Squeak, and I considered them one of my favorite bands back then too (still do). I remember borrowing a cd one day when I was in college and listening to it when I went to class and really listened to the words...
                        Let me guess... "Pearl Necklace", right?
                        "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

'Legs' was the one my Dad used to sing all the time.
                          Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
                            Let me guess... "Pearl Necklace", right?
                            Yep, it finally hit me why I was discouraged from informing teachers that I liked their music.

I love that my parents had me listen to all types of music. It explains why I enjoy such a wide variety of music now. I grew up listening to Broadway music, Meatloaf, ZZ-Top, stuff from the 40's and 50's, Jazz, country. Now I listen to all that plus Metal, indie from just about everywhere, there is stuff that I describe as french Canadian Reggae with banjos .
                            I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Working...
                            X