Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dense, dense, DENSE woman (2 of 4, long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dense, dense, DENSE woman (2 of 4, long)

Part two of the day of Epic Fail and Epic Suck.

Had a woman looking at an Epson printer who just could not understand a THING I told her.

Me: Do you have an questions on printers?

Dense Woman: Is this one good? *points to Epson CX9400*

Me: It's not bad.

DW: Oh, is there one better?

Me: Well, what do are you looking to do?

DW: I need printer, scan, fax.

Me: Ok, well I generally recommend either HP or Canon.....

*for brevities sake, I'll leave out this bit. I just explained to her that I felt HP and Canon offered superior quality and reliability*

DW: Which ones have fax? *points to HP printers*

Me: These *points*

DW: This one has fax? *points to one well away from where I'd indicated*

Me: No, these do. *points again, more clearly*

DW: This is very confusing........oh but they're so EXPENSIVE! *looks at $400 machine*

Me: Well, these ones here are less-

DW: What about Canon

*OK, never mind the HP for $109.....*

Me: OK, I have these three here *points* that have faxing capability, unfortunately these two *points* are out of stock at the moment.

DW: Unfortunately? What do you mean "unfortunately?" I dont' understand.

Me: Well, I mean that UNFORTUNATELY, these two printers are out of stock.

DW: You no have these?

Me: Not right now, but I can or---

DW: What about these? What ARE these???? *points to Brother printers*

Me: Brother. I don't like those. THe print quality isn't very good.

DW: OK I dont' want one then. What about Lehmark? (not a typo. She didn't pronounce the x)

Me: I don't really like Lexmark much either--

DW: Ok, so how about this one? *goes back to the CX9400*

Me: Well, like I said, that one's fine, but I dont' think it's as nice as an HP or Canon. But it is better than Brother and Lexmark, so.....middle of the road.

DW: "Middle of the road????" I dont' understand.

Me: As in, better than these [Brother and Lexmark], but not as good as those [HP and Canon]

DW: *reading off of fact tag in front of the CX9400* "Inkjet????" What's that????

Me: That's the type of printer that is.

DW: Huh? I dont' understand.

Me: *explains what an inkjet printer is*....as compared to laser. (FUCK! Why did I even MENTION laser!!!! Wait for it...........)

DW: Laser??????? I don't understand.

Me: *explains the concept of a laser printer*

DW: *looking at the laser machines* Oh, so expensive!

Finally, FINALLY she settled on the CX9400, which she was looking at when I first approached her. Except it turned out to be out of stock.

Great. Just great.

Me: *after scouring the store looking for one* I can order it for oyu, or I can see if another one of our stores has one.

DW: Ok, you can do that. I'll give oyu my number and you can call me when it comes in *starts to walk away*

Me: Hold on! Wait.

DW: What?

Me: Which do you want me to do? Do you want me to order it for you, or do you want me see if it's available at another store?

DW: I don't want to go anywhere else.

ME: Ok, so you want to order it? Because if oyu do, I need more than your phone number, and it has to be pre-paid.

DW: I'll just come back later. *leaves* Hurrah!

Jesus. Tapdancing. CHRIST! 867 anyone? I've talked with 5 year old kids who have forgotten more than that woman could ever hope to know. I mean seriously, who don't understand the "middle of the road" analogy? How is it confusing that some but not all printers can fax?

Shoot me now......
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

*Comes up to Dave 1982 with a CX9400 under one arm, and a Food Processor under the other*

Hello, I was wondering if you could tell me which of these would have better radio reception?

(There, just imagine THAT conversation, and the above one suddenly seems sensical. Use the technique well. If at any time you can't imagine a conversation that makes LESS sense, resort to violence.)
    Check out my webcomic!

Comment

Quoth Polenicus View Post
      *Comes up to Dave 1982 with a CX9400 under one arm, and a Food Processor under the other*

Hello, I was wondering if you could tell me which of these would have better radio reception?

(There, just imagine THAT conversation, and the above one suddenly seems sensical. Use the technique well. If at any time you can't imagine a conversation that makes LESS sense, resort to violence.)
      hahaha oh lord!

Seriously, though, sorry to hear about the dumb woman. People really shouldn't come into stores & expect free education on computers & their accessories...dumb really dumb. btw, it's nice to find someone who isn't impressed with lexmark like myself...I can't stand that brand & I had yet to meet someone who didn't say, "well, they are good for their price." No, no they aren't
      When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

Just give her a pen. There's her "Printer"...lol.

Comment

Lexmark = YUCK YUCK YUCK

I would reccomend NOT buying an Epson CX5500, they have a notorious issue with 'rejecting' cartridges.

HP I hate as a principle and Canon are my middle of the road. Come to think of it I have nothing to recommend to people - each printer sucks in its own way, either the carts are overpriced or the quality is rubbish.

Don't get me started on Dells - I took one out with an electric hedge trimmer one day at the counter...no I am NOT kiddding.
          SC:What makes you think you can tell me how to do this?
          ME:Because I finished Pre-school, Elementary School, High School
          and College first time. Now: Red wire is positive.

Comment

I think I missed Part 1......

And I agree with the printer comments - though I'm not a fan of HP either - also on principle. Canon I like.

but this isn't a "What product is best" thread.... I HATEHATEHATE when people ask for your 'advice' and then choose to blatantly ignore it, or just not pay enough attention to you when you give it (and then site ignorance for an excuse "I don't understand" - then perhaps you should have just listened to what I said... if not, then don't ask and just accept what I say).

Oh - and Dave....
            Shoot me now......
            :bang:

Slyt
            Last edited by Slytovhand; 03-03-2008, 11:47 AM.
            When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

I'm just curious what "principal" people are basing their hatred of HP on? Do they eat kittens or something?
              "smacked upside the head by the harsh of daylight" - Tori Amos "The Beauty of Speed"

a sucking chest wound is merely mother nature's way of telling you to slow down - Arm

Comment

Quoth Zeeko View Post
                Don't get me started on Dells - I took one out with an electric hedge trimmer one day at the counter...no I am NOT kiddding.
                Please tell me you recorded this, or at least have pictures!

Comment

Quoth The Gatekeeper View Post
                  I'm just curious what "principal" people are basing their hatred
                  of HP on? Do they eat kittens or something?
                  My apologies for the length.

Hp is a decent company for LASER printers. As in I haven't had any greater problem with their laser printers then slick intake rollers. There high end printers are fabulous! Printers, as with most technology, hold true to the rule that the more you spend the better product you get. A $60 Epson, vs a $60 HP is like a foot race at the special olympics.

My hatred of HP comes from their bundled computers. Their towers are crap. Their laptops are crap. I administered a small lab, ~10 computers, one of which was a HP, 7 Dells, and 2 clones. The HP one was the one that was constantly giving me hardware troubles, OS troubles, and just troubles in general. It was poorly put together and poorly supported.

The laptops, there is a hellish story to be sure. I bought a laptop from them Pavilion Zt-1185. I bought it in the fall of 2002. I had one year support with HP, and three years from the retail store. Within the first year alone, I had to send the computer in to be repaired three times. All three times for a inverter card that needed to be reseated. The inverter card controls the brightness of a laptop screen.

The fourth time I sent it in was one year path the end of the manufacturers warranty, so I sent it in on the warranty provided from the shop of the future, the retail outfit. It had died on me about half way into my FINAL project in my advanced rendering course. The problem was that the screen was starting to get red lines, the laptop was running hot and would turn off, not shut down but turn off, at a moments notice. I managed to get everything backed off before I sent it in.

When I sent it in, it was gone for about 7 weeks. Three weeks in the in house shop and then they sent it to HP to get fixed. They tried to fix it but couldn't get to the problem. They eventually replaced the motherboard, and got it working. At this point I just wanted that damn thing back as it was my ONLY computer at that point. They kept it for another week before shipping it. If I had been counting the days I should have let it stay there, the shop of the future has a clause, 60 days and no resolution and you get your item replaced.

I got it back. It didn't have the OS on it. I used the quick restore discs. Well crap they aren't working... So the discs from HP that have my OS on them aren't working. I call up HP and ask them about it, and they said that the laptop wasn't tattooed. HP, and I suspect several other firms, tattoo their laptops, it is a digital signature saying that it is a HP and what model it is. I had to find a gray market, gray as in privateered, version of WinXP. To put on it. Luckily I had the foresight to burn the drivers onto a CD so that I had them. I found out afterwards that the lack of a tattoo prevented my laptop from using it's battery. Either that or the repair depot KILLED my battery.

That laptop is still running, six years old. That is admirable in technology terms, but that is like admiring that rusted out pinto that just won't die. I have had no end of troubles with it. I have heard similar tales from other people with HP laptops. Compaq's, ie HP light or I can't believe it's not an HP, fall into the same category.

That is why HP deserves my scorn.
                  Always,
                  Craven Morhead
                  --
                  ... Any resemblance between the above views and those of my employer, my terminal, or the view out my window are purely coincidental.

Comment

I had an HP a few years ago that was great. Lasted a long time, until my profanity husband damaged the feeder by leaving a very heavy object on the paper supply then attempting to print.

I have since had four HP inkjets in less than a year and a half.

The first developed a feeder problem within less than three months, due to a small item (I'm talking a small toy weighing only a few ounces), one of my children left on the paper supply.

The second was a hand me down that just never worked right, especially, once again, the feeder problem.

The third would require a complete reboot, involving disconnection from the computer, and restarting of the printer and computer, if you ran out of paper during a print. Every time.

I'm now on my fourth. I got it very cheap. (Under $40.) Otherwise, I was looking at getting an Epson.
                    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                    HR believes the first person in the door
                    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                    Document everything
                    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

For those wishing to debate the ins and outs of computer systems and software (and hatreds thereof), I can heartly recommend GBM85's final paragraph in the following link.

http://www.fratching.com/showthread.php?p=479#post479

Rapscallion

Comment

yea. That is pretty good.

Though the desktop did steal money from owner, in the cost, in both man hours and cash, of repairs, and fixing. The laptop almost cost me my university degree. So yea, HP didn't kick my cat, but he almost cost be another year in university.
                        Always,
                        Craven Morhead
                        --
                        ... Any resemblance between the above views and those of my employer, my terminal, or the view out my window are purely coincidental.

Comment

Wow. My family has had nothing but good luck with HP computers and printers alike. We've also owned several Compaq computers in the past, with nary a trace of trouble from any of them.

Ironically, the only system that has ever given me trouble, aside from the Gateways, was the one I built myself.

Gateway, however, is another story. . .

Dave:

Did the woman in your story not speak English very well?

Comment

Hey, what so bad with Brothers. I have a 4 year old fax, printer, copier, pc copier and scanner and the print is clear and good. I haven't had to clean it but once in all those 4 years and it is still going good. Yes, the black is is sorta expensive ($22.00), but the color inks are only $13.00 each.

I do not like Lexmart. I had one that was noisy and had poor print and was slow. I will no go back to one.
                            Woman are like guns, if you don't treat us right, we'll blow up in your face!

Pain is your bodies way of telling you that you're still alive.

I am also known as Liquid Skin and Silkekitten.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                              DW: I don't understand.
                              Inconceivable!

Should this lady even be purchasing an all-in-one? I mean .... they're several machines in one unit ... do you think she can even grasp the difference between a fax or a copy (or print, scan, etc.).

Plus, how the heck is she the owner of a computer? I'd hate to see her try and even hook an all-in-one up (and load the drivers and such, plus there's also computer/system compatibility).
                              This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X