Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh, and kudos to your bi coworker who has to put up with that jackass unloader, if people were talking about me behind my back like that and I found out I'd probably quit on the spot (fortunately my major distinguishing characteristics are that I'm overweight (used to being teased for that), I'm a geek/nerd and don't take shame in that, and Mormon which while still the minority population wise in Utah is something that people have enough exposer to us that we no longer seem that strange).
    I'd report, report, report - to management, corporate, ethics hotline, anyone who would listen. Anyone childish enough to mock someone based on sexuality, race, appearance, religion, etc. can see how far their immaturity gets them in the unemployment line.
    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Seriously, yesterday I swear just about every person who looked like they'd qualify for the discount had a heaping cart full of toilet paper and laundry detergent.
      but i GOTS ta have my toilet paper, yes siree!

yep, if a nuclear war hits, they're prepared.
      look! it's ghengis khan!
      Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
        if people were talking about me behind my back like that and I found out I'd probably quit on the spot (fortunately my major distinguishing characteristics are that I'm overweight (used to being teased for that), I'm a geek/nerd and don't take shame in that, and Mormon
        well technically religion is a protected class, teasing about weight, only lowlifes do that(my mom and sis both have documented thyroid problems-both over 250 pounds), and geek/nerd-that means you probably have the intelligence level to tell them off without them realising what you said for at least 15 minutes
        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
          do you accept the starving college student card?
          or the starving college teacher card?
          Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
            LCW: He's a (slur for homosexuals that rhymes with "egg")!
            Of all the years I've had people calling me names, I can't think of a single one THAT could be.
            Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
              Of all the years I've had people calling me names, I can't think of a single one THAT could be.
              That would also be the British word for cigarette.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Call me selfish, I'm hoping you DO work that day. I WANT THE STORIES!

I have a theory about why you get such serious cases of entitlement whorism in the geezers ... because years and years of spineless managers giving into their demands have reinforced the behavior.
                "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                  That would also be the British word for cigarette.

^-.-^
                  .....if THAT rhymes with "egg" then I need to figure out who the hell's messed up my ability to pronounce words (I get the sneaking suspicion that it's my father).
                  Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Ditto. To me, the first syllable of the old english for a bundle of wooden sticks/bundle of kindling (faggot) rhymes with bag or drag.

Egg rhymes with Meg or keg.

Now, I can see a rather vague similarity between a bundle of sticks and a handful of cigarettes, so 'fag=cigarette' is not a great mystery to me.

But how a bundle of sticks came to mean a homosexual male is way beyond me.

But now it's not: http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=faggot
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

What was with the first woman? Did you had no other toasters? Oh, right she's an SC.

Comment

Just an observation about "old geezers"

You will find that as you age, your definition of "old geezer" changes a bit. You see, I marked 50 years on this planet last Oct. That makes me dangerously close to "old geezerdom"

And I sit here and think "how in the hell did this happen?" I was a barefoot kid when the Monkees sang "We're a new generation, and we've got something to say"

I was a not even a teen when I first heard "American Woman" by the Guess Who, adn I was 19/20 when I went disco dancing to Saturday Night Fever music.

So how in the name of all that's holy did I wake up 50?

Now as to all those crabby old farts who demand their damn discounts? A pox on them. There will always be obnoxious and old people.

But these people were obnoxious, entitled and rude before they got old. Just remember that. You don't wake up one day, say "wow I am 50, 55, 60, whatever, now I can be rude as hell, cause I am old"

Comment

personally, i don't see old as a number so much as a state of mind...which will dictate behavior.

state of mind + behavior = old geezerdom

yes, i'm weird like that.
                          look! it's ghengis khan!
                          Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                            But how a bundle of sticks came to mean a homosexual male is way beyond me.
                            Ah, the etymology of the term "fag" to mean a slur for "homosexual."

As I suspected while reading it, the Wikipedia entry is inaccurate, including only a partial and inaccurate popular myth regarding the origins. Making a jump to a term that only became used in that context in the 20th century and tying it to a usage that became obsolete centuries earlier.

Supposedly, it was taken from when it was popular to burn witches, as homosexuals would be used to "help keep the fire going" which is just plain silly. Even moreso when you get down to the fact that the term in that usage only dates back to the early 1900's.

The word can be traced back to the burning of heretics. The current supported theories are that originally, it became a slang term for heretics, and also reformed heretics, who were made to wear a mark to identify them. From there, it was co-opted to refer to socially unpleasant types, at one time referring to shrewish women.

Most recently, it has been used in boys' schools to refer to underclassmen who were required to do chores for upperclassmen, such as gathering wood. This came to be known as "fagging" and was popular on both sides of the Atlantic, being used at Harvard, in the same context. From there it can be easy to see how "faggot" and "fag" could be applied to a submissive male position (not like that, you pervs... well, like that, too).

It is interesting to note that the first written usage of the term is "fagots (sissies)" came about in 1914, which was also the beginning of WWI, and the term seemed to become more popular and common in the 20's. I wouldn't be surprised if the two were related.

^-.-^ <---- word geek
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth texasbelle5 View Post
                              But these people were obnoxious, entitled and rude before they got old. Just remember that. You don't wake up one day, say "wow I am 50, 55, 60, whatever, now I can be rude as hell, cause I am old"
                              "Old" is always 15 years older than you are

"Geezer" is anyone ranting about the good ol' days.
                              "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - George Patton

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Comment

I thought about posting this earlier and since "fag" has been mentioned, I will. Check out the patent that issued in 1924. It is a sky writing plane spelling out "fag" using a dot matrix technigue. If the link doesn't work go here and type in patent number 1503830.
                                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                                X