Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Old 07-15-2018, 10:49 AM
Pune Massacreeist

Quote:
Quoth wynjara View Post
I've been desperately searching for a new mp3 player...
Cheap Android phone, no service: ~$30. MicroSD card (make sure the phone has a slot) ~$10.
Vwah-Lah-Lah!

Old 07-15-2018, 05:34 PM
Retired Merchant Mariner

Quote:
Quoth Minflick View Post
Selectrics were GREAT typewriters!
I agree!

Back in the 80s I had a Selectric, and numerous foreign language elements for them, so I could make flashcards out of 3" x 5" index cards (I'm a language nerd). I had French, German, Classical Greek, Russian, Classical Hebrew, and Arabic elements.

Funny story. Sort-of. Everyone on active duty in the 80s knows the mindset of the time, it still being the era of the Cold War.

Well, my typewriter elements were seized by the on-base Coast Guard Investigative Service agent; it seems that the fact that I had a Russian element had attracted suspicions. A few days later they were returned, I guess because it was obvious that I wasn't 'focused' on just Russian -- the evidence of the other languages showed that.

At the time, I wondered what they made of some of the other language elements; because of the Classical Greek one, did they maybe harbor suspicions that I was plotting to overthrow the ancient Persian Empire?

Anyway, a lot easier now, with a word-processing program, but I sure enjoyed using the old IBM, in its day.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:51 PM
Old tech nerd, aka Dr. Optigan

Interesting story! Good to hear it all worked out in the end, even if it shows off some of the paranoia of the Cold War era. Speaking of Selectrics and Russians, back in the 1970s, the Soviets managed to install sophisticated bugs inside a bunch of Selectric typewriters used inside the US Embassy in Moscow. Rather interesting how they were able to find a way to build a device to read the keystrokes via the mechanical computer inside the Selectrics, and send it in an almost-undetectable way.
-Adam

Last edited by MadMike; 07-19-2018 at 05:15 AM. Reason: We already read it, thanks.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:00 PM
Front End Supervisor

I own a wind-up Victrola record player. I also own records to play on it, including quarter inch thick ones with grooves on only one side. Wanna hear Enrico Caruso or the George M. Cohen Band playing Over There? Or, if you prefer something more modern, that hot 1920s number Everything is Hotsy Totsy Now.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:27 PM
Blaaaaargh

I considered the cheap phone option, but compared to my mp3 players those things are tissue paper. I want solid bricks of music holding
I'm just super picky, and I know it's my own fault I can't find something I'm happy with.

Tags
1980's , laserdisc , obsolete tech , vcr