Go Back   Customers Suck! > Community > Off Topic > Life Advice

Do any of you dabble in electronics?
Old 07-11-2018, 06:35 PM
Store Manager

Default Do any of you dabble in electronics?

With breadboards and such?

I'm thinking of getting a kit for building electronics (rhymes with "harduino"), and one of those kits named after a dessert (like strawberry pie).

I'm wondering if these kits are any good. I found a kit for the "pie" one that rhymes with "nana", but it's not officially a "pie" kit.

The "official" kit for the "pie" doesn't seem to come with much, so it's possible that not much can be done with it.

Anybody know?

Old 07-12-2018, 12:35 AM
Area Manager

There are multiple manufacturers making both Arduinos and Raspberry Pis, so naming them is just fine. :-P

Both are okay for fiddling with electronics, though you may not learn much about *real* electronics with them.

The Pi is a higher-end device and can even run Linux, and you can code in higher-level languages which makes it much easier to work with but less efficient timing-wise. If you're trying to switch a signal with hundredth-second accuracy you might be disappointed.

The Arduino has much less horsepower than the Pi, and programming it is more difficult. They're less expensive and smaller though (you can get an Arduino on a single chip!) and because they have fewer things going on they can switch signals more precisely.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:21 AM
Store Manager

Quote:
Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
There are multiple manufacturers making both Arduinos and Raspberry Pis, so naming them is just fine. :-P

Both are okay for fiddling with electronics, though you may not learn much about *real* electronics with them.

The Pi is a higher-end device and can even run Linux, and you can code in higher-level languages which makes it much easier to work with but less efficient timing-wise. If you're trying to switch a signal with hundredth-second accuracy you might be disappointed.

The Arduino has much less horsepower than the Pi, and programming it is more difficult. They're less expensive and smaller though (you can get an Arduino on a single chip!) and because they have fewer things going on they can switch signals more precisely.
I'm looking for something introductory right now.

I found "offshoot" arduino and Raspberry Pi kits on Amazon.

I was thinking of getting both, but I just want to make sure I'm not getting ripped off.

Mainly I want to use them to dabble in IoT programming, and to learn a little Raspberry Pi and Arduino myself (maybe put it on my resume...), and so that I can help my son learn. Might not be bad to put on his college application.

I'm asking about the kits, because as I said, there are "offshoot" kits on Amazon that it seems you can do a lot with, I'm just wondering if they're the same quality as the Raspberry Pi/Arduino.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:56 PM
Area Manager

Probably some that are, and some that aren't. Check reviews.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Quoth mjr View Post
With breadboards and such?
I've done a little bit, but I'm nowhere near an expert. Most of what I picked up, was by looking at circuits in hobby magazines like Model Railroader, and attempting to build them. At the time, it was pretty easy to build them up on small boards--the kind that had the holes drilled and tinned. Parts were easily available from Radio Shack. You don't see those articles as much now, and Radio Shack's bankruptcy didn't help.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:57 PM
Warning: He thinks he's funny.

Quote:
Quoth protege View Post
... it was pretty easy to build them up on small boards--the kind that had the holes drilled and tinned.
I believe those are known colloquially as "breadboards".

Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
I believe those are known colloquially as "breadboards".
The ones I remember being called that didn't have the holes tinned