Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Milk is directly across from me at the registers. Also, we have a lot of really big guys who like their milk that come to us for it, and they're in the store constantly.

I now have the image of some brat/insurance scammer trying to heft a gallon jug to smash it only to be surrounded by three, big public workers looking so not pleased.
    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth Flying Grype View Post
      I was going to say, how do you know this is a kid prank? Slip and fall in milk once and everyone will be laughing at your stench for the rest of the day. Sounds more like an insurance scam to me.
      Do a youtube search for "gallon smashing."

The videos I've seen show kids, or at least young adults, doing it.

It doesn't appear to be an insurance scam thing. More of a "let's break stuff and film it" thing.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I think this fits here. I had an uncle who was an attorney and this was his favorite story...

Many years ago an elderly couple came into his office, grinning like they'd hit the lottery. Turns out both had slipped and fallen in a "Big Box" type store (K Mart, Walmart, Target; something along those lines). Naturally they were suing the Box Store for a huge sum. My uncle warned them even if this was true they were in for a long fight. He offered to review their files for a modest sum and let them know what he thought. They agreed.

He went through the file on a Friday night at home and it seemed like a lot of info was missing that should have been in the file, including a deposition from the Box Store. Interestingly enough, one of his ex-interns now worked as a lawyer for Box Store Corporate not too far away. My uncle called on him in his office Saturday, their conversation went something like this:

Uncle: I've been asked to represent this couple.
        Attorney: Are those fools really going ahead with this?
        Uncle: What?
        Attorney: You need to see the video.

They watched it. Although there was no sound you could clearly see a store associate stop the couple and point out the wet aisle which was obviously closed off with cones and yellow tape. After the associate moved off the man deliberately moves two cones and lifts the tape, the couple then walk down the aisle. Her fall _might_ have been an accident but his was clearly a pratfall.

After watching the tape my uncle said, "I'm guessing they know about this?"
        "Yep, and we told them there was _no_ offer of any sort to be made!"

Monday morning my uncle just told them, "I don't think you have a case here." This was _not_ what the couple wanted to hear, they took their file and left.

My uncle kept his ears open; the couple later found a real ambulance chaser who took their case. It finally got to court and when the tape was shown he heard that every jaw in the place was on the floor. The couple not only lost but the judge ordered them to pay the Box Store's legal fees. Between that and the fees for their own lawyer they had to have lost at least US$10,000.

These greedy a-holes got exactly what they deserved. Back to your regularly scheduled thread...

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          There are groceries that will do your shopping for you and will deliver it, but (a) they're generally not cheap, and (b) they are often, but always, "meant for" people who have problems doing the shopping themselves for medical/physical reasons.
          Here in the UK most of the major chains offer websites and delivery of groceries.
          "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth Flying Grype View Post
            I was going to say, how do you know this is a kid prank? Slip and fall in milk once and everyone will be laughing at your stench for the rest of the day. Sounds more like an insurance scam to me.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eywQjSk70Go

This is the "prank". Please be sure to down vote it, as it deserves.

Comment

RE: Milk drivethrus

Not a new thing. Actually, this is how you got milk in the seventies in my town on the west coast. It was the transition from milkmen delivering regular milk bottles daily. You got your cheese and ice cream there, too. The last one closed in like 2000, I think.

Comment

Quoth Draco View Post
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eywQjSk70Go

This is the "prank". Please be sure to down vote it, as it deserves.
                That's three minutes of my life I'll never get back. Plus it kinda made me angry.

Comment

Wistfully dreams of duct taping the perps lips to a 2L Diet Coke + 5 Mentos...
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

My store recently got an email about this from corporate. All I can say is
                    DS Andy Cartwright: Everyone and their mums is packin’ round here!
                    Nicholas Angel: Like who?
                    DS Andy Wainwright: Farmers.
                    Nicholas Angel: Who else?
                    DS Andy Cartwright: Farmers’ mums.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      There are groceries that will do your shopping for you and will deliver it, but (a) they're generally not cheap, and (b) they are often, but always, "meant for" people who have problems doing the shopping themselves for medical/physical reasons.
                      Quoth cinema guy View Post
                      Here in the UK most of the major chains offer websites and delivery of groceries.
                      The two major chains down here offer home delivery in that you buy your stuff and arrange to have it delivered later. A number of larger stores also still offer parcel pick-up which works on a similar principle except that you drive around to the spot and either the employee loads your stuff into the car or the people will actually help you. I've seen both happen. In these cases, you actually have to physically go into the store.

Lately they've expanded the concept into shopping from home (which a few other chains are doing as well) which works on a similar premise to home delivery except that you don't have to physically go into the store.

As far as the prank itself goes, all of the milk jugs down here are plastic of some description, as are a number of fruit juice and soft drink bottles. The only glass containers I've seen are the bottles of Perrier and the like, as well as some cordials.
                      Last edited by fireheart; 03-04-2013, 11:24 PM.
                      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Two years ago I slipped and fell down the stairs at an insurance company. Yep, you read that right, at an insurance company. Yet they didn't have any form for me to fill out and just gave me a business card before sending me on my way. This after I sat bawling in their lobby and propping up my badly bruised leg, waiting for the pain to subside before heading home. Just shows how lawsuit-prone retails stores are, considering how much they document to cover their butts.

And no, I didn't pursue anything with the company. Probably should've asked to be reimbursed for the doctor's copay and the antibiotics (I got an infection), but I didn't bother. I still have a dark, bruised-looking area on my shin that will never go away. *shrugs*
                        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                          also in Philadelphia Area - we have a few options to shop online, have delivered for a fee.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                            As far as the prank itself goes, all of the milk jugs down here are plastic of some description, as are a number of fruit juice and soft drink bottles. The only glass containers I've seen are the bottles of Perrier and the like, as well as some cordials.
                            They're with plastic jugs, Fireheart.

Apparently this happened at my store today with 2 gallons of chocolate milk in the pet food aisle... Which is direct across from the UScan podium. I'm going to see who was working to make sure they get reamed (I seem to be the only one that pays any attention to my surroundings), since the culprits were NOT seen or caught.

I can't imagine how you don't hear two gallons of milk slamming into the ground and popping open...

Comment

I did that with 2 *glass* gallon jugs once...

Whilst unloading the famdambly groceries from my grandmother's car...

The car was whiffy for years.
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Google tells me there have been some arrests made following these so-called pranks.

Comment

Working...
                                X