This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voluntary Overtime

For some reason recently (the past few weeks) we've been offered overtime towards the end of the week (work week is Saturday through Friday, most overtime is done on Thursday or Friday).
    Tonight before she left my SM asked me if I wanted to do overtime tomorrow.
    So tomorrow (I open) before I clock in the manger will need to pull my time card (its all electronic) to see how much time I've worked this week. I'm scheduled for 38 hours but almost never work all my hours (I don't milk the clock like some of my coirkers, if my stuff is done I clock out and leave). So depending on how many hours I've worked so far I may work a couple hours of overtime.
    My paycheck will like me.

Oh and my manger commented last week that I'm one of the only ones that actually takes her up on overtime. Which is probably why she asked me.
    Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
    Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Voluntary overtime is full of awesomesauce. Congratz!

Comment

Quoth Aria
      Voluntary overtime is full of awesomesauce. Congratz!
      Thanks.
      I worked an hour and fifteen minutes overtime today. After my 8 hour shift tomorrow I'll have 40 hours. $$$

Comment

Quoth dragon_wings View Post
        Thanks.
        I worked an hour and fifteen minutes overtime today. After my 8 hour shift tomorrow I'll have 40 hours. $$$
        Hmmm... Where I'm at 40 hours is not considered overtime, even if you worked more than 8 in one day. You wouldn't qualify for over time pay (time-and-a-half) until you exceeded 40 hours in one work week. We'd call what you worked "extra time" because "over time" has specific conotations and definitions.

Comment

At my job (idk if it's my store specifically or my company) overtime is time over what I'm scheduled (38 hours in this case) up to 40 hours.

Comment

Here in California, if you have a standard 5-day workweek, you have to be paid time and a half over eight hours in a day or 40 hours in a week, i.e, you stay late one day for two hours and are paid time and a half for the two hours, or you only work 35 hours normally, but you go in for an extra shift on another day so you are paid straight time up to forty hours and then time and a half for the rest. (You can agree to work a 4-day week, 10 hours a day, or 3 days and 12 hours a day instead, but that has to be your regular workweek.)

I get called a lot for overtime because I usually take it, and I have a lot of experience in all the departments so I can cover pretty much anywhere. It makes my manager happy and the paychecks make me happy.
            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
            HR believes the first person in the door
            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
            Document everything
            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth Samardnaz View Post
              Hmmm... Where I'm at 40 hours is not considered overtime, even if you worked more than 8 in one day. You wouldn't qualify for over time pay (time-and-a-half) until you exceeded 40 hours in one work week. We'd call what you worked "extra time" because "over time" has specific conotations and definitions.
              Same here, or at least I'm guessing that's why they call it extra time. Some people work 9 or 10 hour shifts, but less than 5 full days a week...so anything over 40 hours is "extra time", or really anything outside your regular shift, since some weeks we might have extra time AND under time. (Gotta love the crazy swings in call volume...)
              "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

I love voluntary overtime. Unless it's coerced, like it can be at my work, where you are either attempted guilt into it, or threatened that if enough people don't, it will be mandatory.
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                  I love voluntary overtime. Unless it's coerced, like it can be at my work, where you are either attempted guilt into it, or threatened that if enough people don't, it will be mandatory.
                  Which is what happened to us this last week...not the guilt part (not overtly anyway), but the mandatory part since not enough people volunteered. Usually they're pretty good about not guilting us about it.
                  "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

I absolutely loathe when that happens, because it's always the last shift of the week (when everyone has usually already made weekend plans) and it's like "Everyone has to do x many hours this weekend."

Needless to say, many of us have taken a tick on our records because we were not going to miss out on a wedding/grad party or weekend Dells getaway, and in the same respect on the other side of the year, holiday travels and plans.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                    X