This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chili chili chili chili chili....

As anyone who's been reading this site for a while knows, I like to cook. Wait, no...I love to cook. And I compete in cookoffs and cooking competitions whenever I can. And I've not done badly in them; I took second place a few months ago for my garlic-braised lamb with Chianti glaze, for example.

And one facet of this part of my life has been chili. A few years ago, when I cooked my first chili ever for a chili cookoff, I took second place out of fifteen entries, and I was stoked. Being one of the few Southwesterners on the island, I felt I had to represent. And so I caught the chili bug. And have been making chili for chili cookoffs ever since. About a year and a half ago, in a chili cookoff at Local Dive Bar, they had a cookoff with different categories, and in traditional, the largest category, I took fourth out of 16. And last year, in a chili cookoff at Local Barbecue Resort, I took third out of 15, and my collaboration with my friend on a white seafood chili took 5th.

But 1st place has eluded me in chili cookoffs, and actually I have not won any cookoffs in a couple of years, which was beginning to bug me a bit. Because while I love to cook just to cook, I also like to compete, and I very much like to have my efforts validated. That being said, over the last year I have very much calmed down and haven't cared that much if I win or not, as long as my dish comes out the way I want it to.

That being said, I had been looking forward to the next chili cookoff at Local Dive Bar for quite a while, for a couple reasons, and had expected it to be after Thanksgiving, as the one in '09 was....but nothing, not a word from them this last November. And then a few weeks ago, I heard....chili cookoff at Local's on February 20th. Hot damn!

As I said, I had been looking forward to this for a couple of reasons. One, of course, was another shot at perfecting my recipe that I had been working on for all these years. The other being the whole heat thing. See, at the last chili cookoff with categories at Local's, while I took 4th of 16 in Traditional, I also tasted the seven chilis in the Caliente (Hot) Division, and was less than impressed. Five of them weren't even as hot as my Traditional, and the two that were hotter weren't really all THAT hot. So I decided that day that the next time they did one with a Hot category, I was going to make a scorcher, in addition to my regular.

And that is how I spent yesterday, slaving away in the kitchen, preparing with loving care two different batches of chili. First, my latest tweak on my signature chili recipe (which includes sirloin steak, pork tenderloin, chorizo sausage, smoked bacon, serrano peppers, and chipotle peppers, among other things), which was nice, dark, smoky, with a beautiful slow burn to it. And secondly, the chili I would call Devil's Ass chili, which was designed to hurt people. (Other than chiliheads, of course, some of whom like spice so much that I suspect they are not really human.) I was very proud of the fact that I made the Devil's Ass with no hot sauces or extracts, but got all the spiciness from regular dried spices and actual hot peppers. I mean, I could have made it much hotter, even inedible, but what's the point in that? I wanted to make it tasty, but still ridiculously hot. And I did, using jalapenos, serranos, chipotles, habaneros, and the dreaded ghost peppers (three times hotter than habaneros).

Other than slightly burning the onions when I was prepping the Devil's Ass, both chilis came out pretty much the way I wanted them. Although to be honest, I was scared to actually try the Devil's Ass chili myself. So I used my new roommate as a guinea pig, as he likes stupidly spicy stuff. And he actually scared me when he told me that the Devil's Ass chili was no spicier than Wendy's chili. Had I fucked up? Had I made the chili too flavorful and sacrificed heat? What the fuck was wrong? But realizing that my roomie might be one of these inhumans I mentioned earlier, I had him try my signature chili...and he said it had no spice at all. Which told me he was, in fact, not human, as I knew my chili had some major zip and afterburn. This also told me that the Devil's Ass chili was a scorcher....at least to humans.

So I met up with my friend Cookie (who also made both a regular and a hot chili), heated up our chilis at her place, and went to Local's, which is right by Cookie's place. One thing we both liked about this even was that the winners wold be determined by a panel of judges, rather than how most fundraiser cookoffs are determined, which is by the most votes for each dish, opening up the possibility of stuffing the ballot box as it were by your friends (which I have seen happen). Frankly, I want to win on merit, not on who has the most buddies show up. And Cookie agrees.

So the judges come around, trying everyone's chili, saying nothing. Then everyone else came around, and both Cookie and I got good compliments on both of our chilis, though my signature chili got some seriously great comments. And I did get a few great reactions from the Devil's Ass, such as "With all due respect...fuck you!", "Good god, are you trying to kill me?", "We can't stop crying!", and "I fucking hate you!" All of which I took as compliments for that chili. After all, I wanted to bring the pain, and apparently I did. Except, of course, to the chiliheads, some of whom honestly said things like "Where's the spice?" I told you...these people are not human.

So eventually the time came to announce winners. In the White Chili category, there being only one entry, that person took first place. No one was surprised. Of all the white chilis there, I did think it was the best.

In the Caliente category, Cookie took third place, and was thrilled. Personally, I thought her hot was better than her traditional. Amusingly, she had vowed that her hot would be hotter than mine. It wasn't. Without question, the Devil's Ass was the hottest one there. It was not, however, one of the three best there, as it did not place. Which was fine with me...I had accomplished what I had set out to do. (And to be perfectly honest, I had said all week that I actually would have been pissed off if my hot chili won and my signature chili did not. Since, of course, I was only trying to bring the pain.)

Then came time for the largest category, Traditional. My friend HA, who I used to work with at Waterfront Bar, took third, with the first chili she ever made. (It was very tasty, but a bit dry...she needed a bit more broth. I have no doubt her next one will kick ass.) Second place went to Cookie, who was clearly kicking ass and taking names. And now the moment of truth. Did I win, or did I not even place, coming in behind two chilis that, while good, were in my mind were not as good as my baby.

"First place.......Jester!"

YES! Finally! The award that had eluded me so long!

Did I freak? Damn straight! Called my mom, texted my friends, basked in the glory. I knew I could make a winning chili, and now I had proven it. And I got many, many compliments from people, the best of which was completely silent: an empty pot before the event ended. (The Devil's Ass was still quite full.)

(One amusing sidenote: first place came with, among other things, a bottle of vodka. Second place got a bottle of rum. I don't drink vodka, but I love rum. Cookie doesn't drink rum, but loves vodka. Naturally, we switched bottles!)

And so the day ended on a--actually, that was not the end. Another bar, Desi's, was having a chili cookoff as well. I suggested to Cookie that we take our leftovers and go enter that one. Which we did. Neither of us placed (it was a customer voting situation/fundraiser), but we had a blast, and I hurt more people. And the kicker for me was that the musician at Desi's kept mentioning my chili by name, because A. he liked it, and B. it had a great name. "Have some more chili folks...especially the Devil's Ass!"

Sadly, I can never cook my chili for my mother, as she does not like spicy food, but......

What a great fucking day!

Redemption!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Damnit Jester now I really want chili and I don't have a kitchen so I can't cook it! I do a kick ass sweet bacon chili, took second place in my first (and only) chili contest back in 7th grade.

Damnit who's a girl gotta pout at to get chili around here?

(congrats on the win by the way)
    Me to a friend: I know I'm crazy, you know I'm crazy, the zombies at the end of the world will know I'm crazy. Thus not eating my brain for fear of ingesting the crazy. It's my survival plan.

Comment

I want chili, too, but not the batch I made that's at the back of the fridge. (I suck at making chili. And baking. All I can really do is vegetables. If there were a contest, I'd win.)
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth shankyknitter View Post
        took second place in my first (and only) chili contest back in 7th grade.
        In my very first chili cookoff, I took 2nd out of 15, losing only to a gator chili that I thought was good, but not all that great. But to be fair, if I had won that cookoff, don't know if I would have continued pursuing chili as I have, so that may have been a very good thing!

Damnit who's a girl gotta pout at to get chili around here?
        Hi there! My name's Jester, and I make a mean chili!

(congrats on the win by the way)
        De nada, mi amiga!

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
          Hi there! My name's Jester, and I make a mean chili!
          Jester can you ship me some of your awesome award winning chili puahleeeese?

Bow before the epic pouty face of doom!
          Me to a friend: I know I'm crazy, you know I'm crazy, the zombies at the end of the world will know I'm crazy. Thus not eating my brain for fear of ingesting the crazy. It's my survival plan.

Comment

*checking text messages*

Hmmm...must be off the friend list.

Congrats!!!!!!!!
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Fantastic! Congratulations!

Your chili sounds awesomely delicious!
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Sounds good, do you plan to post the recipe here? BTW, can it be done in a crock pot?
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Damn, now I'm hungry! Hell, I'd give the Devil's Ass a try. I love spicy stuff. One of my best friends won't even sit near me if I'm having wings out at the bar. She says they make her eyes burn.
                  Sometimes life is altered.
                  Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                  Uneasy with confrontation.
                  Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

When I read this, I kept thinking of the batman tune, but going "Chili chili chili" instead of "nanananana"
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Bow before the epic pouty face of doom!
                      That is definitely one hell of a pouty face!

And one day, when I figure out how to actually ship chili (and get around to making it again--it takes time, ya know), I'll send you some!

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                      Sounds good, do you plan to post the recipe here? BTW, can it be done in a crock pot?
                      Yes and no, and no.

In order: I'll give you the basics of what's in it, but some things will remain a secret. I have no problem sharing 95% of my recipes, but a few are my babies, and I don't share the full details of those. This is one of them.

And while you can heat it up in a crockpot, you can't just dump all the ingredients in a crock pot and have it come out right. So no, you can't cook it in a crock pot. I used an oven (for the bacon), a skillet, and a stock pot to get the final product.

The basics: sirloin steak, pork tenderloin, chorizo sausage, smoked bacon, tomatoes, red bell pepper, white onion, garlic, serrano peppers, habanero peppers, chipotle peppers, honey, maple syrup, chocolate, beer, whiskey, cilantro, and various dry spices, including (but not limited to) salt, black pepper, white pepper, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, cumin , and sage.

Quoth Becks View Post
                      Hmmm...must be off the friend list.
                      Why would you say that?

Still A Customer."

Comment

Jester you have no idea how hard it was to hold that face without laughing long enough to get the webcam to take the picture. Also *happy dance* I'm going to hold you to the chili offer.

nom nom nom

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                          Why would you say that?
                          I didn't get a happy text. *pout*
                          Unseen but seeing
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Don't take it personally, Becks. I have a LOT of people in my phone, and with only a few exceptions, those happy texts were sent locally, to friends in Key West. I think the only out of town text was to my best friend, Neets. Even my mom didn't get one. (But then, she doesn't do the texting thing much...)

One of the reactions I got from the Devil's Ass chili that I forgot to mention was when someone was complaining about how hot it was, someone else (and I can't remember if it was one of my friends or someone that was just there) told them, "He called it The Devil's Ass. That should have been a hint." Also, I brought some of it in to work, and one of my coworkers tried some. He could not finish it.

To be fair, I can do better with the Devil's Ass. Frankly, I burned the onions when I was building it, and that burnt taste came through in the final product. And honestly, I'd like to actually try to make it hotter. Because I won't be happy until even the chiliheads admit it's hot.

The good thing is, I took careful notes, and sometime this week I need to sit down and actually type up the recipe, since that has never been done, on any draft of the chili before. I did this all mostly from memory (and some past notes about ingredients), but I made some serious and aggressive changes to the recipe this time around, and it came together well.

Sadly, I don't have a cool name for the winning chili. I was calling it "Sun Devil Chili" since I went to Arizona State, but kicked around names like Sonoran Chili (Phoenix and southern Arizona are part of the Sonoran Desert), Southwestern Chili, and a couple others, but they sounded too generic. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Though I doubt any name will be as entertaining as The Devil's Ass.

Next up: next Tuesday I have a cookoff at a wine bar. They've started doing monthly cookoffs where the theme is not an ingredient, but rather, they feature a particular wine to pair with the food we make, and you can use the wine as an ingredient or not. (In the Chianti cookoff, I came in second place with my garlic-braised lamb with Chianti glaze, despite somewhat overcooking the lamb.) This next one up features champagne, and I think I'm going to try my hand at making bouillabaisse, which of course I've never done. Also, late March there will be a chicken wings cookoff back at the Local's Bar that had the chili cookoff. I have a LOT of ideas for that one, and definitely plan on building my own wings sauce. Which I've never done either, naturally.

My fellow cooks, if you have cookoffs in your area, and I'm sure most of you do, even if you don't know it, I encourage you to participate. It's a great way to try your hand at new things and to cook for a number of people you wouldn't normally get a chance to cook for, not to mention getting to get feedback on your food and to hang out with fellow foodies.

Still A Customer."

Comment

I was just teasing you on that.

Now I want chili.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X