X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okwhatnow?!

Well...this is just...really??

To give some background info: I applied, qualified, and was granted SSI somewhere back in 2005. As of about last month, though, I am no longer qualified for it. Why? Because one friend of mine owes me money ($800), and I have a mutual trust fund that my grandmother set up (and I have no idea how the hell much money I have in it. I never see this money and had no idea I could cash it when I turned 21). I answered the questions about these things truthfully, and was penalized for it.

Now, today, I received another letter from the Social Security office. Apparently, I now owe *them* more than $11,000 because I supposedly had way too much money for someone to qualify for SSI the whole time. I am

1) A college student.

2) Unemployed.

3) Having to pay a-thousand-and-thensome in cash to my school because of reason 1.

I do not *have* $11,000. Hell, I barely have $1700 in the bank right now. I'm pissed, my parents are pissed both at the SSI people and at me (them for screwing me over and me for loaning money to a friend of mine when she needed it).

I now have 60 days to appeal this freakin' thing, which I fully plan to do. I just cannot even think how the hell they expect me to pay that kinda money back to them when they have on their records that I have no steady source of income with which to pay them.
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

I feel your pain, seriously. For years when my dad was alive after he went on disability, SSI screwed us over so many times. We kept getting audited every year; they were sending me, my brother, and my mom $2 each, and then kept asking us how much was set aside from that and all that crap; and then the year I turned 15, they kept asking if I was married or going to get married.

And recently, one of my friends was on SSI, but when they moved to a different state, SSI took away her insurance.

It's really all stupid.

Comment

Sorry, but there's far too much Fratching potential in this one. firecat88, you're more than welcome to start a thread there about this issue.
      "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Working...
      X