X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Reyneth View Post
    She.

You're right, not the crystal or glass beads - and perhaps more elaborate than those pieces, but it's still stuff I know I could do one evening if I wished to (I've done some beading/jewlery making in the past, but only a litte).

I have no idea what her prices are - but based on the way she has treated our store, I can't imagine she'll be all that successful, KWIM?
    Opposy, sorry about that. I'm not that great figuring out gender with just a name.

Not that I want to brag about my jewelry making skills but I know how to do more then just string beads . I even know how to do wire work, bead weaving and I even know how to use a loom (through it's not jewelry just pouches I've done loom work). I am even trying to sell some of my work online.

From just reading the OP the woman sounds snotty and want's everything done her way. I doubt many people would want to buy anything from her if she treats them that way and I bet she overprice her things too.

Anyway if I ever had a pro do photos of items I'm selling online I would treat them great and listen to them because they know what they are doing (well, that I'm a sucky photographer). For right now I'll just do them using my digital camera, a white sheet (even through I had to use black paper for some) and do the photos on a nice sunny day as well as using my photo software to make them pretty.
    Last edited by rdp78; 05-18-2007, 01:19 AM.
    Yours truly, Robyn unless your an SC
    My space
    Facebook

Comment

Quoth rdp78 View Post
      For right now I'll just do them using my digital camera, a white sheet (even through I had to use black paper for some) and do the photos on a nice sunny day as well as using my photo software to make them pretty.
      http://digital-photography-school.co...ive-light-tent

It may be above what you are looking to do at this point - but those things really help with shadows and such, especially given the way weather can be unpredictable.
      I haven't built one yet, but I have the site bookmarked for a reason.........eventually!

Comment

My mother and aunt are working at getting a book of thier beaded holiday earrings and pin designs published.

When I used to work shows, I wanted to slap every middle-aged woman who walked by, took a look at our work, and made some dismissive comment to her companion along the lines of, "Oh, I could make those if I wanted." *grar*

I've done loom work, freehand beadwork, and I entered two of my bead-covered eggs in the county fair one year when I was still in high school. Blue ribbons, both. I still have them, too, although one has been damaged. *pout*

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

As someone going into the jewelry business, I can tell you that the crystal and metal and such can be ludicrously expensive. As it is, I'm gonna start with plastic, glass and acrylic, because it means I won't be charging those prices.

But, yeah, that cow needed dried frog pills like whoa.

Comment

If you get your fancy beads online or you can find the right suppliers, they can be rather cheap. eBay can be incredible.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'd like to recommend http://www.firemountaingems.com as a supplier. I've never sold any of my beadwork, just done stuff for myself and for gifts, but I've bought almost everything from them ever since my local MJ Designs went out of business. They have incredible selection, good prices, and the best customer service I think I've ever gotten from a mail-order/Internet order company.

They sell high-quality stone beads and silver and gold findings, as well as acrylic, crystal, bone, wood, shell, etc. Not affiliated with the company in any way, just a very satisfied customer.
              He loves the world...except for all the people.
              --Men at Work

Comment

My mom and aunt get their catalog. I don't know how much they order from them, however. They used to do a lot of powwows and would get a lot of supplies from people at those. They also used to hit downtown Los Angeles for some supplies as well.

^-.-^

Comment

Fire Mountain is *very* cool.

Another good one is Shipwreck Beads.

Also, if your area has a 'gem and mineral' show, bead wholesalers frequently show up to those. I've gotten some real bargains at the one in KC. (Like 16" strand of 5x8 mm amethyst beads for $2, bargain)

I sold jewelry at the KC Ren Fair for several years. The prices on that website were pretty stiff.

Comment

Quoth Noelegy View Post
                    I'd like to recommend http://www.firemountaingems.com as a supplier. They have incredible selection, good prices, and the best customer service I think I've ever gotten from a mail-order/Internet order company.

They sell high-quality stone beads and silver and gold findings, as well as acrylic, crystal, bone, wood, shell, etc. Not affiliated with the company in any way, just a very satisfied customer.
                    Count me as another satisfied customer, and the more you buy the better the prices get. It can be a little expensive to begin with, but the per-bead price ends up being very affordable. Another site I love is www.stoneagehardware.com. I got some great purple stone discs there that made fantastic looking necklaces. I sold out of them at the craft show I just did.

I have just posted a jewelry question in the Off-Topic section. Any input is greatly appreciated.
                    Last edited by justZu; 05-19-2007, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Trouble is, I'm still trying to get big enough orders to afford them. That's why I'm starting with their acrylic beads. Grab the kids and the clubgoers with the bright and pretty.

Comment

Update on Jewelry Lady -

She picked the cards up the next morning. She liked them. We haven't heard from her since.

Just how we like it.

Oh, and the manager actually cut them down. Wow!

Comment

Working...
                        X