This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have proof!!! - Longish

Many times I encounter people who are being real [liquid feminine hygiene product] bags to clerks. I usually chat with them and hand them the URL for Customers Suck in the hope of giving these people a place to vent before they hit critical mass and splatter half of the store and the people therein. I do this for the good karma and to ensure I'm not one of the innocents diced in the crossfire when Mr and/or Mrs Clerk snaps.

Anyway on one occasion I had passed the URL to a clerk and someone behind me said that she was a lurker on this forum and that she found it offensive that the clerks were taking offense to their suckyness since it was the fault of the clerks who have bad attitudes.

Well to you (and I'm hoping you read this Mrs. "MY attitude comes from the fact that I'm better than you and I can do no wrong") I'm here to give an example of how you are so wrong and that being firm but courteous gets you far FAR better treatment than you get by being an asshole to us.

Saturday I get a text notice that my Cingular no-contract phone account was unable to take the payment out of my bank account through my debit card. Puzzled I checked my account, saw that I had the $50 for this month's bill in there and thought nothing of it, figuring that if it continues to have problems I'll call on Monday since 1. the bank is closed until then and 2. They always make one attempt per day for 5 days meaning that Wednesday would be the last attempt.

No more text messages and I figure it went through the next time. Nope, on Thursday the account tanked. Bugger. There goes the $45 in rollover minutes I had accumulated.

Figuring that the rollover minutes were gone forever (as was the last time this happened) I go online to pay for another month. My account won't let me in. Hit the forgot password and waited. Then I discovered that it was texting the password to me. REAL big help since my phone is offline.

So I called up this morning to find out what the deuce happened. Called the number and I got the wrong department. I told them my story and was transferred to another department.

While on hold I remembered my password and paid my month so I could get the phone back on. Odd...my debit card is no longer on record with them. Even odder is they still had my old X-ville address and not my new Y-ville address. Even weirder is the fact that my debit card (and the bank account for that matter) was created under the new Y-ville address. To really confuse the matter they were using the new card on this account for 5 months without a problem. Very odd indeed. I fixed the contact information on the website and my payment went through.

Beep-Beep-Beep...Yup it's working...there are the two text messages telling my what my password is. [fornicating] technology.

Person finally answers the phone and I inform her that I no longer need help making a payment but that I wanted to know what happened to my account and why the card was declined. She couldn't help me on that matter but passed me to someone in technical service. Once again I repeat my story, adding the information that my address was changed for some strange reason. He checks the records and lo and behold, the card was declined because the bank refused it for invalid address submitted.

BING-fragging-o!

Now mind you at up to this point I've kept civil, polite, and even interjected a bit of levity into my voice to keep the people on the other end of the line at ease.

Anywho, he says that it is odd that the system set me back to my X-ville address and he has no idea how or why it did that. I pointed out that I had around $45 in rollover minutes that I've lost and I was disappointed that I had lost them. He said that he didn't have the authority to give me the minutes back but he'd pass me to someone who can.

Now Mrs "customers are angels and clerks are assholes" pay attention. While I was frustrated that I had to jump through the hoops, but this what happens when companies get so large that they have departments. One dept will handle task "A" and only task "A", another department will handle task "B" and so forth and so on. It sucks, but that's life.

Frustrated as I was I kept civil and polite and upbeat for the next step.

Tell the story again adding the fact that the tech found out that my card was declined since Cingular didn't have the correct address. Customer Service person looked up my records and asked me if I had ever had my phone expire and lose minutes before. I was truthful with the person. Trust me, it helps more than it hinders. I informed him that yes indeed I expired a phone once before and I had lost minutes before. I also told him that it was my fault since I didn't have the funds at the time...my bad. He looked again and told me the date it happened to confirm. He told me that I had to be put on hold while he tried to figure out how many minutes I really did have. 10 minutes of goddess awful muzak I get him back and he tells me that I had a balance of $40.54 instead of the $45 I told him. I said that the $45 was a guestimate and we thanked each other and we both ended the conversation on a happy note. I got my rollover minutes back (and even if he missed $5 I'm not going to complain since I can't really be sure if I was right or if he was) and he got to deal with a customer who was firm about what he wanted, kept it civil and polite, and was thankful for his good service.

So Mrs "Clerks are out to screw the consumers", living proof that being a douche bag is going to make us pissed off at you and being a nice guy will encourage us to actually help you. In this case they really didn't have to give me back my minutes since I should have checked it on Monday to make sure the payment went through, but since I was a good customer and didn't flip out when filing my complaint they went the extra mile.

Remember, we want to help people. If we do a good job then we might get promotions and raises. We want you to wax poetic about us to our bosses in the comment boxes. We want you to be happy since happy customers are a joy to work with. We don't cringe with fear when a happy customer shows up.

Remember that the next time you deal with the people on the other side of the counter. Your blood pressure would improve greatly if you are a decent human being instead of an anal-dwelling twat monkey.

Mongo Skruddgemire
    I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

*cheers!!!* right on. More people need to learn that we don't want to be rude but when we cant do something we cant. I hope that lady learns that sometime.

you earned something im just no sure what.

Comment

you've definitely earned good karma; it's hard to understand what part of 'good behavior generally begets good service/reactions,' and yet the crappage still builds up.

maybe they're just 'decent action/behavior' impaired...
      look! it's ghengis khan!
      Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
        someone behind me said that she was a lurker on this forum and that she found it offensive that the clerks were taking offense to their suckyness since it was the fault of the clerks who have bad attitudes.
        I wonder if she was one of the trolls we've banned in the past.
        Sometimes life is altered.
        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
        Uneasy with confrontation.
        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

After years and years of doing this, I've almost come to see customers as a single entity. I always begin my day with people in a positive manner. All it takes is one customer to ruin my mood for the next. Is it the fault of the next one? No. But people need to realize that possibility and not make things worse. If they expect me to be all smiles and cheer after having to deal with a drunk or a shoplifter or some other idiot, I challenge them to the same. *You* be perfectly pleasant after dealing with an upsetting situation that wasn't even your fault. Most people aren't like that in their marriages. You have a bad day, your spouse knows it.
          And yet they expect perfection from us?

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
          ~Clerks

Comment

someone behind me said that she was a lurker on this forum and that she found it offensive that the clerks were taking offense to their suckyness since it was the fault of the clerks who have bad attitudes.
            SCs butting into business that isn't their own?? I refuse to believe it!!

Comment

Quoth SuperB View Post
              .... I always begin my day with people in a positive manner. All it takes is one customer to ruin my mood for the next. Is it the fault of the next one? No. ...
              i recommend remembering the bolded sentence and response when dealing w/ that next costumer. It truly isn't their fault, so don't take it out on them.

Comment

It's not a matter of taking it out on them or not CorDarei, it takes a very special state of mind or brain to be able to switch moods on will on the spot. She doesn't says she unloads on the next innocent customer, but once your mood has been fouled it's not for everybody like flicking a switch and being cheery again.
                I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Quoth Bliss View Post
                  It's not a matter of taking it out on them or not CorDarei, it takes a very special state of mind or brain to be able to switch moods on will on the spot. She doesn't says she unloads on the next innocent customer, but once your mood has been fouled it's not for everybody like flicking a switch and being cheery again.
                  This. I've been a bit silent and subdued with customers after dealing with a Mr Arsehole or Miss Bitchface; nope, I wasn't rude or taking my anger out on Mr/s Innocent Customer, but I was quieter and sadder than normal. However, in some cases, Mr/s Innocent Customer has either asked me what the matter is (it feels really good to offload and have someone sympathise with you!) or they've observed the buttface at work and can tell me that they understand how it must feel. Thus, my mood lifts and I go back to my normal cheery self.

Just asking someone what the matter is if they look a bit depressed can make a lot more difference than complaining about them to their supervisor or just assuming they have an attitude. Just wish some people would think of that.
                  People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                  My DeviantArt.

Comment

Bliss is right. I never said I take it out on the next person but I also don't have a switch that operates from feeling abused to all smiles, cheer and chatty. And what I said still stands.. if anyone expects that out of an employee, I dare them to practice what they preach. They'll quickly find that while they may try, it's not an easy thing to do and if they can't accomplish it they can't expect it of someone just because they are waiting on people.
                    Make more sense?

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
                    ~Clerks

Comment

id be more concerned if one was just able to switch emotions like that. its not like turning a light off or on, or it shouldn't be, anyway.
                      Kim: She's got one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.

I'd like to exercise my constitutional right to not give a fuck.

Comment

Anyway on one occasion I had passed the URL to a clerk and someone behind me said that she was a lurker on this forum and that she found it offensive that the clerks were taking offense to their suckyness since it was the fault of the clerks who have bad attitudes.
                        Now, what exactly in the hell are we supposed to do? We're not allowed to tell them to their face how sucky they are, we're not allowed to Don't they realize that venting here keeps us sane enough to deal with their suckitude at work? Oh, that's right, we are not human, we are drones programmed to kiss a$$ and smile when they act like whiny babies. I don't think so.

Comment

I bet they rant about THEIR life.

I like my job. Honestly and truly. I like helping people. I sort of like stacking shelves- it's dull but can get quite meditative. I don't like till work, but that's cause it feels like a factory- get 'em in, get em out, repeat the same phrases over and over again.
                          I am always professional and friendly.
                          And what I DON'T like- I don't like people shouting at me, I don't like people calling me name, I don't like people threatening to hit me, I don't like complete strangers touching me, I don't like being blamed for company policy, running out of stock or anything else that pisses them off. I don't like being treated like dirt.

Some SA's do, genuinely, have a terrible attitude. They shouldn't be doing the job. They still should be free from verbal and physical assualt in their workplace. But usually, when a customer says 'you ahvea bad attitude' the mean- 'doesn't act like a robot, doesn't give me everything I want immediately,doesn't offer me the soul of their first-born child, knows company policy and tries to explain it, and getss a tiny bit annoyed with stupid, entitled bitches and bastards like us'.
                          Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

Hey Mongo, if that was a prepaid phone, you spoke to us here at my job.

I know it's frustrating but I'm glad it worked out.
                            Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

Quoth B&NGoddess View Post
                              id be more concerned if one was just able to switch emotions like that.
                              I can do it.
                              I go through depressions (not severe depressions, just points where I start to realize I hate where I am with my life, my job, my this, my that, my other thing...) I can literally be down for an hour or two, and tell myself this mood isn't doing me any good, and boom, I'm up and bouncy again. Seriously bouncy. I'm the kind that'll start singing really happy songs (the collected works of Aqua spring to mind) out of the blue on a day where I've only been moody, and snappish. I scare coworkers when I do that.
                              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Working...
                              X