This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Magic Foreigner

Here's a (sort of) short one from the other day.

A man and his wife approached my register with a large flat-bed cart filled with furniture, along with another cart filled with bedding accessories.
    Considering the furniture they had, I asked them if they would be needing delivery.
    The husband had a few questions about our delivery service, and wanted to know generally the whole ins and outs of it.
    Now I should mention, the husband spoke with an accent, but nonetheless spoke perfect English.
    In fact, our delivery conversation lasted a good few minutes, due to the fact that he had so many questions.
    We communicated perfectly - language-wise.

Skip ahead to me ringing through the items.
    I started on the large cart of furniture and had made my way through all the items but one.
    As many people will know, all Ikea beds require our bed slats. Said slats were under a box.
    As I go to move the box to see the barcode, I ask the man what size bed the slats are for.

His exact words, with no hint of irony either in his voice or on his face, were, "I no English."

Thinking he was joking I stopped for a second and held his stare. Nothing.
    He repeated, "I no English. Sorry."

When it came time for the transaction to come to a close I asked him for his postal code - a step I usually skip, but followed through with because I was interested to see if he would magically remember his English.
    He did.
    Not only that, but we had another short exchange of words when it came to directing he and his wife towards the Home Delivery counter - all the while he spoke perfect English, only accented.

I don't know whether he was playing some sort of strange joke or if he was serious or what, but he magically became an non-English speaking foreigner in a matter of seconds.
    Last edited by rerant; 05-22-2007, 05:09 AM.

Yea I don't speak English, I speak Australian

Comment

I don't want to be rude... but why do some people do that. I've had people come up (normally in drive-thru) who can speak english farily well, enough to comprehend what i am saying, though i may have to use a different word here in and there. But the first thing they say is "Habla Espaniul" which in the front means i have to grab a translator or on headset that they either have to switch to english, or cater their order to what little spanish i know, which are numbers and sizes....... why? because do to issues with our SOS i am not alloud to get a translator in drive thru. So sadly those customers have to either magically speak english, or drive through and go inside.

Comment

I don't know why anyone would think it was to their advantage to make anyone think they don't speak the local language.

Comment

Quoth strawbabies View Post
          I don't know why anyone would think it was to their advantage to make anyone think they don't speak the local language.
          B/c they can act stupid and get away with stuff - b/c they "didn't understand".... it can also get rid of people that are bugging you - like if someone was trying to sell you something and you said "I no English" - well unless they knew your language, they'd probably leave you alone..... I can see where it could come in handy...

That said, I was born in the U.S. and I speak English..... so I don't truly know why they would do that......

Comment

I don't know about others, but there is one guy here at work who will purposefully speak Spanish to exclude other people who he thinks don't understand it from the conversation.

He is quite mistaken regarding a few of those people, and one has told me some of the unpleasant remarks he makes while doing it.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

hehehe

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lT5ozCi1O2s#
              Fan? This is shit. Shit? Meet fan.

Comment

Maybe he didn't understand what a 'slat' was but you would think that he would ask instead of saying "I no English".
                Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

That makes me wonder if he was saying, "I know English."

Not that it really makes much, if any, difference.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I think that might have been his way of saying he didn't understand the question. :/

Comment

Working...
                    X