Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, you don't want to mess around with Xanax. When I was taking it for panic attacks, I don't know how many times I was warned by doctors, PA's, and pharmacists that it was super addictive.

One half of one of those little suckers would knock me out.
    Ah, tally-ho, yippety-dip, and zing zang spillip! Looking forward to bullying off for the final chukka?

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
      Thats what I was wondering too and then I decided that the OP is a natural meds type of person and doesn't like pharmacists or pharmacies.

And then I took on the idea that their 'p' button doesn't work. But it does....
      Nope. Harmacy just represents my distaste for the SCs that come in. Thanks to working there, I've now got hypertension.

That being said, I don't like taking medication at all, but understand that some are necessary. Unfortunately, the fact that half the city I live in is on some sort of anti-depressant and anti-anxiety medication (at the same time, no less) makes me a bit, well, cynical.
      Marvin: "Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they ask me to take you down to the bridge. Call that job satisfaction? 'Cos I don't."

Krispy Kreme puts the "ugh" back in "doughnuts".

Comment

Ah, controlled substances...

Xanax isn't that bad, comparatively speaking. It is a controlled substance, which means it does have abuse potential, but it's not that bad compared to some others. You want something people get fanatically obsessive about: Hydrocodone. The main ingredient in Vicodin, Lortab, and Norco. People foam at the mouth about this stuff, especially when their insurance won't pay for it, since it's early.

And as the average insurance company will pay for refills 3 to 5 days early with no questions, we have some people consistently getting their one month supply refilled every 25 days. We have others who are getting their doctors to release it every 20 days or so.

And when I am a pharmacist, I will refuse to sell painkillers to anyone reeking of pot. (I can dream can't I?)
        http://tinyurl.com/43hger/.gif

Comment

Quoth radiocerk View Post
          Xanax isn't that bad, comparatively speaking. It is a controlled substance, which means it does have abuse potential, but it's not that bad compared to some others. You want something people get fanatically obsessive about: Hydrocodone. The main ingredient in Vicodin, Lortab, and Norco. People foam at the mouth about this stuff, especially when their insurance won't pay for it, since it's early.

And as the average insurance company will pay for refills 3 to 5 days early with no questions, we have some people consistently getting their one month supply refilled every 25 days. We have others who are getting their doctors to release it every 20 days or so.

And when I am a pharmacist, I will refuse to sell painkillers to anyone reeking of pot. (I can dream can't I?)
          I wish Hydrocodone was the worst I had to worry about. With people taking Methadone, Oxycontin, Fentanyl, Dilaudid, et al., our narcotic safe is almost as big as our fridge (and it's a standard-size fridge). Not to mention the fact that, according to the doctors in this area, every school-age child has ADD or ADHD.

And, of course, everyone on these medications always tries to get them early. Especially the ones on Medicaid.

Side note: If someone's on Medicaid, how should they be able to afford a brand new car or shoes or to go on vacation out of the country?
          Marvin: "Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they ask me to take you down to the bridge. Call that job satisfaction? 'Cos I don't."

Comment

Xanes is extremely addictive, dangerous, and (according to my Psych professor) shouldn't be taken unless the patient is under the care of a psychiatrist, and then for only a short period of time.

That patient, sadly, could have been my father, who has been on the stuff for nigh on 12 years. The doctor who keeps giving the patient advances should be hung up by his toenails and slowly injected with his own poison.

Sorry, this is one of those things that I will readily jump on a soapbox over.
            "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
            Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

C-II's

Oh, I wasn't even going to get into the people taking over 300 Methadone, 200 oxycodone, and other pain killers monthly. And I'm with you on the ADD drugs. It's a logic problem I'm never able to solve:

A: We give small hyper children stimulants (biochemically similar to cocaine) because it behaves differently in them and helps them mellow out and focus.
              (Okay, I'm following you so far, but from knowing my friends, cocaine helps you focus too, helps you focus so well you forget to eat for a week)

B. We continue to give these stimulants to aduts with ADD, because they help them.

But C. We cannot biochemically test for ADD or ADHD.

Why not? If it behaves differently in your system than mine, there should be a testable difference between you and me, don't you think?

Adderall, Concerta, Vyvanse, and Ritalin are pet peeves of mine.
              http://tinyurl.com/43hger/.gif

Comment

Just like to remind people that if they would like to swap stories on sucky (p)harmacy stories, continue to do so right here.

Debates on the frequency of refills, the harm of prescription drugs, or the over-prescription of medication should do so over at Fratching.
                I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth TheComputerError View Post
                  SC: But, he called and authorized it last week.
                  Me: Right, and we need a new authorization to release any further medication.
                  SC: So, what do I do?
                  *repeat the previous four lines of dialog several times*
                  SC: So, what do I do?
                  Me: Mr. Wasteofoxygen, I have told you the only solution to your situation and you have ignored it. Your only options are to call your doctor or to wait.
                  SC: BUT HE ALREADY AUTHORIZED IT!
                  Me: He authorized the early release of 35 Alprazolam 1mg tablets a week ago. He did not leave an open authorization to continue dispensing them early for you. If you want any more, you will need to contact your doctor.
                  SC: BUT I HAVE A REFILL!
                  This reads just like a phone call I had today. Throw in a language barrier, and it gets real fun. Caller begins telling me a long, involved story regarding a claim that we apparently overpaid, and are going to take money back. I asked for a patient name, claim number, or ID number. Caller repeats entire story she just told me. She stops to breathe, so I try to get a word in edgewise, asking for one of those 3 items again. Repeat entire story.

Rinse, lather, repeat.

Finally 10 minutes into the conversation, (with the 10-minute conversation being her telling me this story again and again), I hear her say "claim number". The very same claim number I have been trying to get for 10 minutes. I finally get the elusive claim number, and am finally able to locate the person she was calling about.

Without knowing WHO she's talking about, how on earth am I supposed to help her understand why we're taking money back.
                  That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Bit of a follow-up

I checked today and he managed to convince another location to release it early for cash. I found out from the overnight harmacist that this location has a habit of filling controlled substances early. I guess I know which location I won't be transferring to or helping out at ever.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                      And then I took on the idea that their 'p' button doesn't work. But it does....
                      It reminds me of an old sign you see every so often: "Welcome to our 'ool', notice there is no 'p' in it."
                      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                        It reminds me of an old sign you see every so often: "Welcome to our 'ool', notice there is no 'p' in it."
                        We had that exact same sign on our pool years ago.

It was a replacement for the sign that had been up there, but got destroyed in a wind storm, when the deck took a hit from a tree.

No Swimming
                        Suits
                        After Dark.
                        That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

I had a good friend in college was narcoleptic. She had prescriptions for uppers, to take when she was supposed to get up, and then downers, for when she went to sleep.

At a college party her purse got stolen and all her meds were in it. She didn't have a car so I ended up helping her run all over town to get the OK to get new prescriptions.

I can't remember what she had but both of them were commonly abused substances, so the pharmacy was hardcore about it (understandably). So she had to go fill out a police report, take that to her doctor, show him, get a lecture on losing her meds, have the doctor call her pharmacy, run to the pharmacy and have the prescriptions filled, etc etc. Not fun.

That said, we were both uncomplaining about the whole thing. It is obvious why they are so tightly controlled.
                          Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

When I moved here I transfered my mail order medications. I used to have them delivered to my mother because she was always home & could sign for them.

I have no one here.

All of my medications were stolen. Three month supplies of interferon, antidepressant and pain medication all gone. Can you guess how much fun it was trying to get replacements? The interferon costs over $1,800.00 per month.
                            Everything sucks. I must be living in a vacuum.

Comment

Working...
                            X